T5 so when is it going to be on sale

barnest2 said:
Ummm... I'm amused. We have two rather lengthy diatribes in response to a couple of people saying "You'll probably get more interest on a site that isn't devoted to MongTrav". We're not saying you can't, shouldn't, or must not discuss it here. And not one of us is suggesting you should leave.
Seriously, chill. Discuss if you want. But I think the vast majority here are here for MongTrav, rather than any other version.
And not a single person has 'beaten you up'...
Exactly, if anything, I feel beaten up for saying I'm not interested in T5.

That's all funny, because I thought Mongoose Traveller was a generic RPG that would allow many cross overs.

And here you all are trying to argue that it is Traveller only.

Dave Chase

On the issue of we are not supposed to talk about some subjects:
I have seen only one post indicating "Don't talk about it here" and that was with the subject of the Prime Directive campaign supplement and its development vis a vis the TV show. But that is done to protect the owners of Starfleet Universe (and I assume Mongoose as well) from annoying legal junk by owners of the TV show. Basically don't cross pollinate between the two in the same discussion.

Other that The Vrusk, I think the people are nicer here. They are less canonista overall. Thank goodness.

Nathan Brazil said:
I think the people are nicer here. They are less canonista overall. Thank goodness.

Good points. I've noticed this, too.

I can never quite figure out whether all the barking and pearl clutching is based on, er, physical constraints and empirical science, or the fact that some drunk game designer just pulled something out of his arse at some tournament in 1986 about hull displacements and fuel refining and that's just the way it is. Forever. Or worse, some wiseacre placed Handwavium on a periodic table and then someone else assigned all manner of irrevocable chemical assumptions based on that placement. :lol:

I bought it. Yeah, it's $75 bucks, but that's about $10 bucks more than many new RPGs these days. And, this thing is a tome. I hear it's 600 pages!

I'm stoked and hoping to get it soon.

Classic Traveller remains my favorite version of Traveller, but T5 interests me because this is Marc Miller's first real return to Traveller since the original game. DGP designed MegaTraveller, and Marc left GDW during Traveller: The New Era. Despite it's title, Marc had little to do with the design and creation of Marc Miller's Traveller and even less to do with Traveller 20, GURPS Traveller, BASIC Traveller, or Mongoose Traveller. His role was more supervisory and approval related on those games.

T5 has been in development for, what, a decade? And, many of the hardiest Traveller fans had input on Marc's designs.

I'm not a huge fan of the T4 task system (which T5 uses--a variation of it), either, but it's not quite a deal breaker for me. Though I wish Marc had gone with a more Classic Traveller model on the task system (less structured, more DM-inspired), I do like the T4 system better than I like the one used in TNE, GURPS, BASIC, and T20. At lead the T4 system is d6 based.

We'll see. I plunked down the bucks, and I'm eagerly awaiting the book.

S4 - closer to 700 pages than 600; 656 to be exact. 'Tis a bloomin' monster of a book, too; you could flatten a small house pet with this thing. I'm glad my pledge came with an e-version of the book, because carrying the dead-tree version in to work with me would've become fairly tiring.

Now I've just got to figure out how to use it. Definitely more of a toolbox than anything else.

Galadrion said:
S4 - closer to 700 pages than 600; 656 to be exact. 'Tis a bloomin' monster of a book, too; you could flatten a small house pet with this thing. I'm glad my pledge came with an e-version of the book, because carrying the dead-tree version in to work with me would've become fairly tiring.

Now I've just got to figure out how to use it. Definitely more of a toolbox than anything else.

I don't have a copy of T5 yet, but I'd be interested to know whether it can be used as a toolbox in conjunction with Mongoose Traveller.

As with anything, read it and pick and choose what you like and then work it into your own In House Gaming rules set. Anything can be made to work, if you have the desire and interest in it.

Will get a copy for use as a toolbox, but I'll wait until someone over here stocks a dead tree version. £88 + £17 VAT + £6 GPO fee = £111 is a bit too much for my taste!

lastbesthope said:
GPO fee? THere's no import duty on books AFAIK...or is this another charge?

LBH
This. AFAIK books are VAT exempt, so as long as it is only a book and labelled as such no VAT, import duty, or handling charge to pay.

crazy_cat said:
lastbesthope said:
GPO fee? THere's no import duty on books AFAIK...or is this another charge?

LBH
This. AFAIK books are VAT exempt, so as long as it is only a book and labelled as such no VAT, import duty, or handling charge to pay.

AFAIK that's true

LBH

The Vrusk said:
Heck, i just dropped $75.00 on MongTrav - the most I have spend on ANY gaming system in 5 years.

Mongoose Traveller is the only system I have been buying for since it came out. I have all the books except for the library data one (it's not in the large book size like the rest of my books here in my bookcase). When I think of the 3rd Imperium, I think of Mongoose Traveller. Traveller 5 does not make me think of any Imperium. T5 reminds me of JAMA periodicals that doctors read, rather than a game even.

Back