Swim check modifiers

I am about to run an adventure that will involve some swimming for the characters. They will be swimming over distance in cold weather. I have found the rule showing a -1 penalty to swim checks for every 5 pounds of arms and equipment. However, I was wondering if anyone else knows of other factors (the rule book refers to a table that doesn't seem to exist).

Anyone have rules for swimming in winter conditions?

How about rules for the weight of coins?

Thanks in advance everyone!

The table you mentioned doesn't exsist. However, section "Water and drowning" (p. 221 of the rulebook) is essentially what you need about swimming, I think. Oh, and swimming in stormy water is DC 20 (table on p. 87).

If we're talking exclusively about modifiers there are several mentioned in the Swim skill description (+2 for Athletic, +4 for Endrance (damage only)).

About weight of coins, this topic is not covered officially but a short discussion can be found here: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=41756.

We had discussions about the weight of coins here. Afaik there is no official rule in Conan how much a silver piece weighs, but 100 to the pound is a reasonable guess. However, the characters might also have exchanged their silver into gold or gems to save weight.

(My fellow players don't like to bother themselves with weight allowances, so when our characters have, say, 5000sp it is automatically assumed that it's carried in gold and gems rather than 50 pounds of silver coins.)

That is exactly what we do in our campaign -- it also lets the DM control wealth a bit more. If you think the players are too wealthy, perhaps the gem dealer in the new city offers a low-ball deal on their gems, or the local ruler requires everyone to conduct transactions in his coin, which is worth much less in other realms.

Back