Supplement 8: Power Armour

nats said:
What I will say though is dont do like I did and sell all you CT stuff to replace it with MT stuff because CT is starting to get rare. Luckily Ive managed to buy most of it back but I really feel sorry I let all the books go with my original scribbles in them. Be kind to your old books whilst you are tempted by the new flashy pretender to the throne!!

I still have all my originals with scribbles... though in the case of the MegaTraveller ones the scribble is errata fixes :)

Yeah, I still have mine, and even recently bought a nice condition boxed set of the CT Deluxe Edition.

Part of why I am attracted to Mongoose Traveller is precisely because of how similar it is to Classic. I first played CT back in 86 or 87, and have been a fan ever since. MegaT has actually been my favorite version of the rules until now. Now Mongoose has taken me back to preferring the classic material.

If age matters I am 44. My kids are all older, most of them are able to drive themselves where ever they need to go, and I am gaming more than I ever have before. Mostly because I have a wife who doesn't hate my gaming and much prefers that I game rather than going out and drinking with the guys, etc....

MGT, which is what I think your calling MT Nats, is such a small stretch from CT.

I have sat down with CT players and had them be right at home with pregenned characters in a con scenario playing MGT.

What throws you my friend?

Most of the CT/MT fan mags are much further afield, with worse artwork, did that annoy you too?

Note to the mods, might want to spin this off into another separate topic.

TC said:
MGT, which is what I think your calling MT Nats, is such a small stretch from CT.

I have sat down with CT players and had them be right at home with pregenned characters in a con scenario playing MGT.

What throws you my friend?

Most of the CT/MT fan mags are much further afield, with worse artwork, did that annoy you too?

Note to the mods, might want to spin this off into another separate topic.

Never got any of the fan mags either mainly because they look cheap.

I am a simple guy I want to play a simple game with a few guns, ships etc and the MT stuff is just too complex for me. Ive tried the char generation and that confused the hell out of me, books are too big and bulky to confortably read, too much incidental information that is not needed (easy task dice roles for example - WTF??), millions of different but very similar guns that require new rules that I forget immediately, rubbish illustrations, too geared to rpg gaming and not enough meat for me to play solo (which I do a lot generating ships, worlds, fighting battles etc). Its just not the Traveller I know and love - I like the small black books.

Im not saying it probably hasnt refined a lot to get smoother gameplay and more fun for those running games regularly but for me it just inst what I am looking for. But one thing it has done is get me interested again in Classic Traveller and I am getting adventures I never tried before and learning new things that I didnt even know with the new version 2 books (I originally had the first version books). Im enjoying Traveller again after quite a few years and thats down to Mongoose so that cant be bad.

I am tempted to sit down and look into converting Mekton Zeta's design system to Traveller. It's a clean design system, scales up and down cleanly and simply.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

TC said:
I am tempted to sit down and look into converting Mekton Zeta's design system to Traveller. It's a clean design system, scales up and down cleanly and simply.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

Nope. Sounds like a good idea. I always liked the MektonZ design system. Robot Hero was a good one too (pity it never got revised for Hero 4th).

I think small Mecha/Large Power Armour is a useful concept for commando forces that need to deploy without vehicle support. Future versions of of airborne troops will always need to carry more firepower than an individual soldier can carry. However, large Mecha are unrealistic devices with no future in real warfare.

Grav vehicles are also unrealistic and unlikely. Hammer's Slammers type air-cushioned tanks are also unrealistic (The power requirements would be enourmous, and the noise level just incredible.)

If you want Mecha in your game, then that's just fine. If you don't want Grav vehicles in your game, that's just fine. If you like Blower Tanks, that's also just peachy.

Choose your own handwaves. It is after all is said and done, just a game.

What I want to know is when do we get this Power Armour supplement? It's been delayed from the original release date of May 2010 and has now vanished from the list of forthcoming products again.

Come on Matt, this is getting rather ridiculous!

Hi guys,

This book has officially entered the 'when it is ready' category - we won't rush this one when it is not ready.

is anybody working on it now or when we find somebody to finish what has been started ?

msprange said:
Hi guys,

This book has officially entered the 'when it is ready' category - we won't rush this one when it is not ready.

A bit of gratuitious thread necromancy here - but then that's sort of appropriate - any sign of life in this book?

msprange said:
Indeed - and it will resurface in the forthcoming Vehicle Handbook!
Do we know anything about possible discounts for people who bought the first one?
Also, I am still not happy with the massive changes :p I like the old system.

My understanding is that you can still use the old system. The new vehicle handbook will just be a "Quick and Dirty" approximation that should be "good enough" for most gamers.

Gearheads will probably not like it and will want to use the old system, or whatever they are using now.

So this new book should probably have the label "Caveat Emptor!"

barnest2 said:
Do we know anything about possible discounts for people who bought the first one?

A discount for those that bought the two previous vehicle books has been mentioned.

AndrewW said:
This one was canceled, though the material may be put to use in other products.
msprange said:
Indeed - and it will resurface in the forthcoming Vehicle Handbook!

... All of the chrome?

I really liked the draft for Powered Armor.
The background stuff was great and the actual design system fair [to be specific, it was a good stand alone mechanic with a few specific weaknesses, but the results seemed too different from other Traveller design systems - like the old Vehicles books].

It almost seemed like the baby got thrown out with the bath water.
It is good to hear that some of it might get recycled.

Back