Supplement 8: Power Armour

AndrewW

Emperor Mongoose
Bringing a staple of science fiction novels, films and TV series, Power Armour describes the many different versions of powered personal defence systems available to characters. From the combat armour and battle dress of the original traveller to hulking exosuits that can withstand a shot from a main battle tank and be dropped from the highest reaches of the atmosphere, sophisticated power armour can turn a single man into an entire army.

Supplement 8: Power Armour features several new armour types and allows you to customise them to specific functions. Whether you are looking for light armour that retains stealth or something more akin to a multi-purpose suit a bounty hunter would value, this book has every option you could wish for.

Due May 2010. This appears to have replaced Supplement 8: Campaign Guide.

Hmmm...a whole book just for Power Armor? Do we really need this? How are most PCs not in a military campaign even going to get access to these things?

Don't take me wrong, I love Power Armor and Mecha (self-confessed Gundam and Votoms afficionado), but these don't feel very Traveller-ish to me.

And I''m sure some grognards will decree it to be the final nail on Traveller's coffin...or something. :(

According to Alliance...

MGP 3838 Traveller RPG: Supplement 8 - Campaign Guide $24.99
MGP 3839 Traveller RPG: Supplement 9 - Power Armour $24.99

But what more interesting is the possible return of the LBB's! :)

MGP 3841 Traveller RPG: LBB 1 - Mercenary $14.99

Mecha would be fine for a non-Traveller universe. I hope we aren't seeing another change to bring in a younger audience to Traveller. Wouldn't a generic Mecha book, not for the Traveller universe but using the new MGT rules, make more sense?

Perhaps the book is cross-setting. A.i. mechas for non-Traveller univere games, new versions of Battledress for a Traveller universe game, etc all mixed in one book? I hope that't not the case though especially if wrapped in a black book with the colored band across it. It might get confusing trying to grab books that are for Traveller and those that are generic.

Hmmm... didn't hear a lot of complaints about CSC - in fact it overwhelmed this poll! :D

The striped black books are the generic ones! If one wants CT then buy CT - it is available. MGT is an updated version - so yeah light swords, Bubba and Weaver suits should be covered there-in!

Since its not an OTU book - its feel is really just mechanic. As a supplement, especially, its a toolchest - for taking the tool that feels right for YTU!

Changes to attract a 'younger' audience - duh! - hope so - us old farts shouldn't always be paying all the bills!

(Don't misunderstand - there will be no light sword wielding mecha warping through my TU any time soon... but I don't mind the options if it expands the real Traveller universe!)

What BP said. Traveller != Third Imperium. Second verse, same as the first. You can search the forum for all the kazillion posts about this.

While it's not something I'd use in MY 3I setting, I've been kicking around ideas for an Appleseed/Ghost in the Shell game, and this would fit nicely. Highly powered armour would also fit in with some early Gundam/mecha settings I want to run. Traveller allows for a different feel than Mutants & Masterminds (my personal choice for anime-based games) or BESM. Traveller fits better into a more realistic and "gritty" game than the silliness from the other two systems, and it's harder to munchkin, which is a bonus.

That being said, I don't know how well this will sell. It does seem like a pretty niche market.

Traveller is not exactly mainstream itself.

And I'll happily take anything that can add a whole different feel to the basic Traveller game. If it's one military's walkers from Military Vehicles versus the other guy's Supplement 8(9) powered armour, bring it on. If it can be made entertaining and keep the players rolling those dice, so much the better.

alex_greene said:
Traveller is not exactly mainstream itself.

That's what concerns me. I mean, I'm going to get it, but I'm not sure that this is an appeal to a "newer, younger market" - or if it was if it would work. I don't want low sales to dissuade Mongoose from making niche supplements because the majority isn't going to buy them. (Of course, I have no idea what Mongoose's sales look like. The small business model could mean that it is economically feasible to have small print runs without inflicting higher costs on the consumer.)

It's also a damned fine way of addressing a problem.

What if you have some miscreant who went AWOL from his service, and took his battle dress with him? How can you bring such a well-armed criminal to justice?

Why, simple. You outfit bounty hunters with battle dress designed to catch and immobilise fugitives clad in full battle dress.

I guess I use Traveller differently than some do, I have ran campaigns ranging all the way from TL 11 to TL 21.

The Third Imperium is not Traveller to me, the rules are, starting with character generation.

So I'll be all over this book, "Starship Troopers" and "Armor" are two of my more favorite Sci Fi books, and I would love some detailed rules to bring those ideas to life with.

Heck, the game I ran at Dark Con had a crew member, who rolled well enough to retire Major General, retired with a licensed to own Battle Dress TL-14 in his dressing room. So when I ran a modified "Tripwire" for the Con scenario the PC dressed out and stayed on board ship ready to come to the rescue, since he had a Grav Belt too!

So when things went south he came Flying out like Iron Man and blasted the bad guys, which everyone thought was real cool!

So Mongoose, bring on the coolness!

Vargr said:
Don't take me wrong, I love Power Armor and Mecha (self-confessed Gundam and Votoms afficionado), but these don't feel very Traveller-ish to me.

And I''m sure some grognards will decree it to be the final nail on Traveller's coffin...or something. :(

At first thought, this was my reaction. Oh god, anime mecha invading my traveller! Bah!

After thinking about it though, I've often lamented other editions of the game for not doing much beyond rehashing and converting the material that came before. By the time they really get to doing anything new and innovative, it's time for the next edition.

I'm really glad to see Mongoose expanding the game with new ideas and material. I might not use it all, but options are good.

While I will not buy or use a supplement on Power Armour (it makes no
sense in my setting), I find it a good idea to publish one, many groups
play Traveller as a roleplaying-wargame and will welcome it.

Whilst I wouldn't want to use this in my mainstream game or necesarily let the players get their hands on it. I can see possible ideas for Elite squads/operatives sent out from the core on special missions that the players may get involved in.

Cool if used sparingly and with style. Lets face it we all enjoy it when the player with the coolest gear suddenly runs into something that makes his kit look like a kids play suit. :lol:

Treebore said:
So when things went south he came Flying out like Iron Man and blasted the bad guys, which everyone thought was real cool!
Played well, it comes across like Iron Man.

Played badly, it comes across like the flight scene at the end of Robocop 3. Or maybe Rain Man.

Treebore said:
So Mongoose, bring on the coolness!
Hear hear!

While I will not buy or use a supplement on Power Armour (it makes no
sense in my setting), I find it a good idea to publish one, many groups
play Traveller as a roleplaying-wargame and will welcome it.

Actually, Rust...I thought of your setting when I put some stuff in it.

Can you say...armour DESIGNED to function more efficiently underwater?

:)

Hopefully this will include some mecha, and will also lower the TL of Battledress to TL12 or 11. But I also don't see the point of the supplement.

Back