Supplement 8: Power Armour

Mongoose Steele said:
While I will not buy or use a supplement on Power Armour (it makes no
sense in my setting), I find it a good idea to publish one, many groups
play Traveller as a roleplaying-wargame and will welcome it.

Actually, Rust...I thought of your setting when I put some stuff in it.

Can you say...armour DESIGNED to function more efficiently underwater?

:)

So, isn't that cool that Steele reads these boards and LISTENS to what we say.

Sounds like this book could be used to design underwater Diving suits and unpowered Vacc Suits (unique designs for specific situations).

Sounds good to me!

I am also not a big Power Armour person, but a one-shot game or small campaign set around a squad of Space Marines (can you say Fifth Frontier War? I thought you could) during an interstellar war is perfectly valid.

Can't wait for this one either (I can already hear that sucking sound from my wallet!).

Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
So, isn't that cool that Steele reads these boards and LISTENS to what we say.
Yes, indeed. :D

And since it seems that a diving hardsuit will become the common out-
doors dress of my Varun setting, I am now really looking forward to the
supplement. :wink:

I think Power Armor is just fine. Even if a character has it it does not mean they automatically have the proper tools to maintain it. The general rule I follow is the higher TL the device falls under the more resources will be consumed to keep it operational.

Not only that, but (I don't know if this is in the rules, I have just been doing it this way for over 20 years, so...) in order for someone to retire out with such a suit, they have to be licensed. I also require licensing for most weapons, and these licenses are good for one year, or 5 years at a modestly discounted total amount. To get such a license you must have retired out of some type of government service under honorable conditions, with a minimum period of service of 12 years. This is because you are now assumed to be a reliable and responsible citizen of the Imperium and can handle such responsibilities without reflecting badly upon the Imperium.

For slug throwers the basic license is 500 cr/year, plus an additional 10 cr per weapon beyond the first. IF you buy the 5 year license you get a 20% discount off the annual rate. In all cases of each type of license you must physically present the weapon for as thorough an inspection as the authorities wish to do at that time.

For the laser types weapons its 750 cr/year plus 20 cr/additional weapon, or the 5 year discount plan.

For Heavy Weapons and Plasma/Fusion weapons the fee is 5,000 cr/year, plus 250 cr/additional weapon beyond the first, or the 5 year plan, plus you must carry an insurance policy insuring you against any damages you may cause, minimum of 250,000 cred policy, costing an additional 2,500 creds per year. "Spacewide Insurance" being one of the more typical insurance companies.

For Combat Armor its a 100 cred/year/suit license, as always the 5 year option is always available.

For Battle Dress it is 7,500 cr/year, plus additional licenses for each additional embedded weapon, plus you must pass a 5 minute simulator test every year. The 5 year discount is available, but you still must take the test every year. Insurance similar to that for Heavy Weapons is also required for Battle Dress.

Failure to pay any of these fee's, or pass any test, will result in suspension of all license's and require a new back ground check (costing 10,000 creds) as well as new testing to be passed, as well as proof of Insurance on applicable gear. If you also fail to turn in any weapons or equipment at the first Class A through C Starport you arrive at after licenses expire, warrants of arrest will be issued.

If license' are restored you will not have the 5 year option available until renewal the 4th year after your last suspension.

Fee's and licensing renewal can be done at any Class "C" or better Starport or any TAS location.

TAS may offer further discounts as well as allow Travel Vouchers to be redeemed towards licensing costs.

Treebore said:
Not only that, but (I don't know if this is in the rules, I have just been doing it this way for over 20 years, so...)
I think you know that ain't in the rules :D

Cute take on it though - and a usefull tool if one want's to hassle players... :twisted:

BP said:
Treebore said:
Not only that, but (I don't know if this is in the rules, I have just been doing it this way for over 20 years, so...)
I think you know that ain't in the rules :D

Cute take on it though - and a usefull tool if one want's to hassle players... :twisted:

For all I know I could have pulled it out of one of the many books or magazines I have for Traveller, and I didn't want to search through them all to see. Your right, though, I think its a house rule.

Plus I find the rule helpful in giving players a "motive" for their character to get off their but and work, especially if they have TAS.

Plus it also influences what weapons and armor players will select on their retirement rolls.

And here I was still giggling with glee over the Psion book including Jedi, er, I mean "Mystic Orders" and lightsabers, er, "Psionic Energy Swords".

Hopefully Mongoose will also put out a supplement to the CSC with gear - not guns, just gear.

I'd be happy to contribute...

I have to agree with an early poster. Do we REALLY need this book???

What's next Machine Guns?? I was hoping for something new for the OTU like a sector that's never been done. Like in the MGT Hiver or K'Kree book. Not this.

Mike

qstor said:
I have to agree with an early poster. Do we REALLY need this book???

What's next Machine Guns?? I was hoping for something new for the OTU like a sector that's never been done. Like in the MGT Hiver or K'Kree book. Not this.

Mike

I am sure they can offer plenty of "new" with this book.

The problem here is that the Traveller Line is no longer just for CT fans. Mongoose is pushing it as a more generic SF line. With this book, Gundam, Battletech, Heavy Gear, Armor, and any other Giant Robot, or Personal Powered Armor setting can be modeled using the Traveller rule set. So while I might personally rather see something 3I related I can see the value of the book.

I honestly don't see that as a problem, to me that is a benefit, and a long-standing and somewhat traditional benefit at that. And I think you mean Third Imperium fans, not CT fans (and this is why...)

Before today's era of licensed game settings, folks used either ICE, Rolemaster, Runequest, or D&D to home-brew simulate their favorite fantasy worlds they wanted to game in, and we used Traveller for the Sci-Fi settings. (Just like today. Elric Runequest, anyone?)
Classic Traveller was what we used, it wasn't until MegaTraveller came out that the emphasis was firmly cemented into the Third Imperium, before then, it was just "A" Traveller setting, instead of "THE" Traveller setting.

To me, this is old hat, something my friends and I used to do during lunch back in High-School in the early 80's. I just wish that the Mongoose edition and its supplements had existed back then, being more adaptable to that kind of play.

I prefer that Mongoose focus on generic SF RPG supplements over the OTU, as there is already SO MUCH out there about the OTU. However, there hasn't been a decent generic SF RPG since Alternity (unless you like GURPS, which I don't).

Back