Stealth - A New Approach

All the special action ideas do not affect all races equally. Some races need special actions to function (read boresighted and come about). Having the ships take a special actions that require CQ checks just means that in campaign certain shps will never fight minbari and some will just rip them apart.

The mechanic you looking for is a way to degrade the effectiveness of fire without eliminating it. That way both players feel they are getting something out of the equation. Anything else just shifts who feels piss off. So far the stealth save and the hull/target number boosts have come closest.

I do not like the stealth save as much, due to it becoming a generic save after a few games. I have my dodge/dust dodge/stealth/interceptor (depleted) save to make, one sec.

Ripple

Well, I was trying to avoid making it an automatic SA - on the basis that if there was a free (read: automatic) alternative to rolling for stealth at all, everyone would use it all the time.

But then, perhaps it is fair, and people would use it for their long range weapons, and then stop using it for close range (where they stand a fair chance of penetrating stealth anyway). Also, anyone who wanted to put their fighters in the air would have to avoid using SAs.

So howabout:

Special Action: Weapons to Manual! CQ: Automatic

Any ship using this special action may have their gunnery crews fire weapons with manual targetting, avoiding the problems usually associated with targetting vessels equipped with stealth technology. Select a fire arc before declaring the special action. All weapons in this fire arc will ignore the stealth scores of any ship that they target, but as a result of dispersed and unfocused fire, all weapons in this arc will lose all weapon traits (except for the beam trait) and will fire at 1/2 of their normal AD.

I'd also suggest making the AD weak. From a minbari point of view this would make a Neshatan invulnerable to manual fire, and mean that most of their ships could only be hit on a 6. That might be overdoing it a bit.

Back