Starting character questions

A

Anonymous

Okay my players will start generating PCs this week so a quick few questions to see if I'm interpreting the new rules' flavor right.
1. Do characters still get the human bonus feat at 1st level?
2. Do characters get max hit points at first level?
3. Do characters still get the human bonus skills points?

1. No. They only get a bonus feat if they take a favoured class.
2. Yes
3. No. They do get background skills, though, with 2 free ranks in them.

A house rule I adopted was to allow max Hit points at both 1st and 2nd Level. With magical healing virtually not available and deadlier combats, I wanted to make sure everyone had a solid base to start with...

After first level, I've allowed a fate point to be used to reroll any one roll for hit points, but the second must be accepted regardless of result.

SS

At first level I will allow PCs to roll any hit point roll that is less than 50% of the max, and at 2nd if it is less than 25% of the max.

Grim Wanderer

Grim Wanderer said:
At first level I will allow PCs to roll any hit point roll that is less than 50% of the max,

I'm very generous on *this* aspect - give the max hp for 1st level, per the rules, then give rerolls at each level for any hp roll that is less than 50% of the max.

Typically, for every level they advance I let my players roll two hit dice and take the highest. Cause rolling a 1 for hps on a d10 or d12 really stinks and can cripple a character s development.

I've had a similar house rule as Bampf's.

Except the player rolls a die, and the GM rolls the other. Highest of the two no matter what. I like having players make increases in HP. That means battles last longer and I don't feel bad about sending demons after them :)

I give max at first level and average (rounded up) at every level thereafter.

Funny, our house rule is 3/4 max hp per level after first, or you can reroll 1's and 2's if you choose to roll the dice.
We also do max hp at first level as suggested in the book.
The group hates long battles, so we really use the massive damage rules at 20 hp. They drag battle time down to a minimum which is really a good thing. We also tend to assume that the characters are heroic enough to defeat a few low level characters without having to roll the battle out, unless there is something special, like a poisoned blade or what have you.

It's funny, but in conan, hp aren't as important as your fort and reflex saves. At least past 3rd or 4th level it becomes that way...

We also make use of reserve points from Unearthed Arcana. This helps run tuff battles in quick successions, or gives the PCs a bit more of a chance during the chases that seem to go on, and on and on and on and on.......

SS

In the original post, the guy asks if 1st level characters get the bonus feat that all humans get in d&d, and it was unequivickly stated that they do not, but the soldier class feats seem to imply otherwise.

"In the original post, the guy asks if 1st level characters get the bonus feat that all humans get in d&d, and it was unequivickly stated that they do not, but the soldier class feats seem to imply otherwise"

I decided to go with no bonus human feat in the end although I'm going to do a feat count on the npc pdf from Mongoose to be certain, of course in the grand scheme of things its no big deal since everyone is human so everyyone gets one it if so. Kewlness is relative.

THE BRAIN
"Ya, ya skip the flavor text did I survive?" Brian VanHoose

Remember, you get an extra feat for starting in the favored class. If you were to do this AND give an 'extra' for feat for humans, some would end up with 4 feats! Seems a bit much...

Arkobla Conn said:
Remember, you get an extra feat for starting in the favored class. If you were to do this AND give an 'extra' for feat for humans, some would end up with 4 feats! Seems a bit much...

Exactly, that's what I figured they did to replace the free one that D&D humans got.

I agree this is what they did to replace the human bonus - since everyone is human, make it a bonus by favored class. I firmly believe you should not give a bonus for being human (per 3.5). Believe me, our characters will be powerful enough...

i'm still not sure it clearly says on page 64, in the section marked bonus feats "at first level the soldier gets a bonus feat in addition to the feat that any first level character gets and any bonus feat granted by he's race."

charliebananas said:
i'm still not sure it clearly says on page 64, in the section marked bonus feats "at first level the soldier gets a bonus feat in addition to the feat that any first level character gets and any bonus feat granted by he's race."

It is quite clear.

1) On page 39, table 3-2 shows that all first level characters get a feat. This is not a bonus feat for being human. All characters get this one, even monsters.
2) If a character gets a bonus feat because soldier is a favoured class for his race he gets that as well. Page 16 details how favoured classes earn bonus feats. This is not a 'human' bonus feat.
3) If a character is a soldier, he gets another feat at first level. This is a soldier bonus feat granted by this class, not a bonus feat for being human.

Total: 2 feats if soldier is not a favoured class; 3 feats if soldier is a favoured class.

There is no mention of a 'human' bonus feat, nor any implication of such in the quote from page 64. If we analyze the quote offered, we find the following: "at first level the soldier gets a bonus feat (see point 3 above) in addition to the feat that any first level character gets (see point 1 above) and any bonus feat granted by his race (see point 2 above)."

Back