Starship Troopers Evolution

mthomason said:
Pose customization is a relatively new thing anyway. Most veteran gamers (those that will supposedly not like the idea) are used to solid metal figures rather than the luxury (some I know would even say "abomination") of plastic parts on sprues, and know just how to chop a figure up to repose it.

Indeed. Even multi-part metals are relatively new.

People complain about how difficult the assembly of the tanker/brain bug/MI are. Then people complain when they are getting single part models.

I wonder if the same people complain about both?

Greg Smith said:
Indeed. Even multi-part metals are relatively new.

People complain about how difficult the assembly of the tanker/brain bug/MI are. Then people complain when they are getting single part models.

I wonder if the same people complain about both?

Why wouldn't some people complain about both?

Whats wrong with wanting a good multi-part kit that is easy to put together? Other people make good multi-part kits that go together fairly easily, why is it wrong to want the same from Mongoose?

I like Starship Troopers, I've spent a fortune on it and spent all my time at the last few cons I was at promoting it for no reward but pushing a game I liked. I'm not a MGP hater, but I still have to say that some of their models were horrendous jobs to put together. That doesn't mean I just want to pick up a pre-built pre-painted model instead - I want a good multi-part kit that won't take me days of work to figure out let alone complete.

So in my opinion Yes, some of us will complain about both badly designed multi-part kits or one size fits all prepainted models. They are not actually two sides of the same coin.

Keith Mc

KeithMc said:
Whats wrong with wanting a good multi-part kit that is easy to put together? Other people make good multi-part kits that go together fairly easily, why is it wrong to want the same from Mongoose?

The biggest complaints seem to have been about the brain bug. Why would anyone want a multi-part model of that?

I can undertand the need for multi-part, poseable MI, warrior bugs etc.

So in my opinion Yes, some of us will complain about both badly designed multi-part kits or one size fits all prepainted models. They are not actually two sides of the same coin.

Keith Mc

I understand. Good point.

Hi, I'm fairly new to the war gaming world myself and this news has me excited.

I found WH40k a few years ago and liked the system. I read the rulebook from cover to cover daily and got a nice set of minis to start my rine army. Then I hit the wall in the painting department. Back then, I had the time to sit down and paint them but my lack of skill was frustratiing and I never enjoyed it as some people do. Now, I don't have the time either. My skill is also horrible and I just don't get any enjoyment from that part of the hobby. This news about decent prepainted minis is great for the people like me. I myself have been on the fence about starting a mini war game for sometime and the painting aspect is what kept me on it. I also saw these pre-painted collectible games come out with terrible paint jobs looking like something you get out of the candy machine in a grocery store. Until now, I thought I was never going to be able to play a game with depth and decent pre-painted minis.

I'm also new to the SST universe as well. Most of what I know comes from the first movie. Alot of people say it sucks and for the most part I agree. The dialogue is crap and the characters as well. But the bugs were the coolest thing I had seen at the time and I fell in love with the theme of the universe it presented. Aside from that, I had seen a bit of the CG series. This only pulled me more into the universe. When I heard the mini's were coming out I was excited but I knew they were going to be un-painted. Now I can finally take part in this game without having to force myself to do something I see as work rather than hobby. I do intend to paint on some kind of emblem on my minis to mark them and make them stand out from the masses in a little way.

So, cheers to Mongoose. I hope more games come out like this because this is a hobby I want to be part of, just not the painting side and now I finally can.

I have a few questions. Will there be some kind of barricade like in the boxed set available in these new ones? I sure want some kind of fortification for my troopers. What is S&P that I keep hearing about? I assume its some kind of rulebook or something of the like. Also, is there a site on the net that details the differences between the CG series, novel, and the movies? I really want to know what the original themes were and try to override what I have been shown in the movies.

@Malgamus

There are two versions of Signs and Portents (S&P). Both are free e-zines that can be downloaded from Wargames Online by clicking the link on the Mongoose home page. One covers wargames, the other RPGs. You'll be able to download the back catalogue.

Welcome to SST.

Cheers,

Eisho

Question for Matt:

How strict will the army lists be for Battlefield Evo?

I doubt you'll ever see enough of a market to do an 'Irish Defence force' army so will I be able to take some Austrian Infantry with Steyr AUGs, some Mowag Piranas from somewhere else (USMC have/are getting a vehicle based on this I believe) and maybe a Scorpion tank and repaint it all in Irish Colours and use it?

Just wondering...
Keith Mc

Newb here, just checking in to say that you've got another new customer as a result of these new developments.

I'm a WARMACHINE/HORDES player with several years of gaming experience under my belt. As a result I have lots of stuff to paint and little time to work on another game. SST has had me interested for quite a while now though, and I have longed for a sci-fi game to replace 40K for me.

So with the barriers of entry into the game now lifted, I will be joining the ranks of SST player.

Good luck to Mongoose and kudos for having the pair required to make such a bold move.

KeithMc said:
I doubt you'll ever see enough of a market to do an 'Irish Defence force' army so will I be able to take some Austrian Infantry with Steyr AUGs, some Mowag Piranas from somewhere else (USMC have/are getting a vehicle based on this I believe) and maybe a Scorpion tank and repaint it all in Irish Colours and use it?

Well, in a tournament, probably not.

But if you do such a thing, send us the pics and we'll run an article in S&P about it :)

msprange said:

But if you do such a thing, send us the pics and we'll run an article in S&P about it :)

And if they're popular enough...there's a chance they'll become tourney legal, right Matt?

msprange said:

What if someone just wanted to do a "counts as"?

"Here's my Irish Defence Force, I'm counting them as X, X, and X off the legal army lists"?

mthomason said:
patton said:
I agree 100% why can't you just make a starter pre-painted, and the rest normal, your killing a huge percentage of buyers, the "hobbiests"

If it was that huge of a percentage, they wouldn't be doing this...

I'm seeing a lot of the veteran/hobbyist gamers on here liking the idea as well. Also a lot that don't, but many seem happy at having half the job done for them already.

I'm one of those hobbiests that is happy with this. I sit here on the fence watching all the rocks being thrown.

I'm happy too - I enjoy painting, I enjoy modelling - but I don't necessarily want to be obligated to do this every time I buy a model. Take my LAMI platoon for example... I bought one box set. That was fun... I bought another, that was getting tedious. After 46 near identical models, I was getting a bit fed up. And I haven't even started on my 20 warriors, or my 32 CAP troopers yet... ugh.

With pre-paints, you save time, and you have the option to paint/convert if you want to (and many may want to). What's the big deal here? It's costing you less money, and saving you time, and in truth it's not eliminating the painting element if you want to do it.

Also, the existing models are staying in production, so you have plenty to keep building and painting.

ok, heres my 2 pence lol, i bin out of the game for quite a while, money problems, but i have been looking for an excuse to start again and this might be it, the models look great, battlefield sounds amazing and pre paints kicks ass because i like painting but i like the option of just opening the box and playing. however my one concern is converting, how easy can it be if the models are pre made?

First, I'd really like to thank Mr. Sprange for communicating this change so far in advance and for answering all the pertinent questions to the best of his ability and for not getting defensive in the face of critical opinion. You are an example of courtesy and professionalism in the gaming industry. Make sure you ask for a raise!

I found out about this on TMP a day ago and my reaction was a bit visceral at first, having not read this topic when the news first broke.

I've only recently started into playing SST because I had my figures sitting around unpainted for over a year before I had time. Pre-painted done to a high standard is not a bad thing if the old products are still available. I like the course Mongoose has taken so far in satisfying both camps. Personally I like having both options but my heart is still with building and painting models myself.

I'm a bit disappointed having just bought 2 army books that the rules are changing, but I'm keeping an open mind and these future changes won't stop me from playing SST games or buying the current products.

One simple question, and apologies if it was already asked or answered somewhere in the last 33 pages. I understand that new units will have some kind of downloadable stats made available for people playing the old rules, but if I have pre-existing figures of all types, will the new game stats for the old models all be available in the new rules in one book?

Thanks!
Mike

Sgt. Brassones said:
Dude, I'm buying two. One for my own reading pleasure(during extended sessions on the "throne") and one for the suasage fingered grubby mits of demo players.

"sausage fingered grubby mits of demo players" - SUPERB! LMAO!

To your question on stats, all new models will have their stats put in the new book. The new book will combine all the army books into it, and of course S&P will give some tidbits up as well.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I was sooooo prepared to buy a big pile of Forth, and now they tell me that they are 8 months away??? GAH!

Bugger...

The stuff sounds cool, but I do have a whisper in the back of my head that tells me that this sounds too good to be true... Hope that the air-assets will kill that fear! :D

I like pre-paints; I've been avoiding this game, since I never have any time to paint, much less spend a few hours putting 16 Cap Troopers in individual poses.

I have to chime in against selling at WalMart, though. Even if you don't care about FLGS's (which would be foolish), WalMart doesn't sell your products. They move in, take over your production, "improve" it, and basically dictate how much profit you're going to make. And on what products.

Xorrandor said:
I have to chime in against selling at WalMart, though. Even if you don't care about FLGS's (which would be foolish), WalMart doesn't sell your products. They move in, take over your production, "improve" it, and basically dictate how much profit you're going to make. And on what products.

We have brushed against Wal-Mart in the past - and the questionnaire they send you to determine what suppliers you use (among other things) is quite incredible :)

However, _if_ we were to release a game like this via Wal-Mart, Toys-r-Us or similar chains, it would have to be targeted at their audiences - vastly simplified rules, big starter sets, etc.

SST Evo is _not_ aimed at the kids market and so would not do too well in such environments.

Which I imagine will be a relief to some :)

Back