Star Fleet Tactical Challenges Tournament - Jan 12th

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
On January 12th next year, we are kicking 2013's gaming off with a brand new style of tournament for Star Fleet - Tactical Challenges. Packed with unique scenarios featuring anything from single ships to entire fleets, each battle has been designed to stretch your tactical awareness and, above all, increase your enjoyment of the game!

You can find the full details at;

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/miniatures/ctastarfleet/rulebooks/tactchall-tournament.html

When picking up a ticket, use the voucher code ACTA (and remember to click on 'apply coupon' before proceeding past the checkout page) to avoid shipping charges on your ticket.

We hope to see you on the day, as we believe this will be a good 'un!

Can't find any mention in the pack of the main fleet list points limit, also echoing the sentiment of Greg's post, the fleet restrictions on the final match seema bit much.

LBH

I third that :( I love the rest of the scenarios, but the final one is a nightmare, as I simply can't do it, the most I can get 1740pts under those restrictions.
It would be fine fine if they dropped all ships in a squadron must be identical, but similar class like the second scenario's options.

The last scenario was the one we were most nervous about. With a second and a third, we will change it next week.

I will struggle to make the points of the final game :(.The other games I can do no problem.

I definately think a re think would be in order for the final scenario otherwise people will drop out.

The main disapointment with the constraints was the fact that everyone would need to pretty much spam a couple of types of ships, which could be boring.
Plus I really like the idea of a 2000pts list which is my normal 1500pts one with a -5pts variant federation and Chicago added :p, because I really want to use dreadnoughts, but in smaller games they just take up to many pts, though admitadly a fleet made up of 3 dreadnoughts with about 6 frigates and 3 cruisers would be scary to face, and all levels of silly.

3 Dreadnaughts lucky you.

I am limited to 1755 points of low end ships for the final game.

I think to make it fair to all 2000 points of ships in a good old fashioned Planetary Invasion. Each side must get Shuttles / Transport Marines down to the Planet for a good old fashioned Ground War. First person decides if he is the Attacker / Defender. Use the old 5 or 6 Marine is dead.

That way every one can field 2000 points of Ships have a different Scenario and not worry about having 3 of the same ships.

I don't have 3 dreadnoughts, I have two, one from the fleet box and fed. reinforcements box, the most I could do for the final game is 1745pts, 4 battle frigates, 5 frigates and 3 battlecruisers.
I'd say just go for one of the standard missions with possibly an extra rule saying you have to have at least one squadron of 2/3+ ships, that don't have to be identical, but similar size.

I do have 3 dreadnoughts, and probably enough variety of other ships that I could be pretty nasty with this still of fleet composition rules. That said, I wouldn't want to turn up and win just because I've ploughed more money into fleet boxes than most other people attending.

I do feel that it's much more interesting to have a set fleet or fleets across the whole tournament, alongside scenarios which test those fleets in various ways. This gives the challange then of trying to create a fleet that is both effective and flexible :)

I like that idea, and would fit well with the idea of escalation and means in the huge games you would still have all those smaller ships you had earlier.
Yeah, I am really hoping that last scenario gets changed.

Rather terrifyingly I could field three Klingon C8s, C7s, D7s, D6s, D5s, F5s and E4s. I'd only need one D5W, 1 FD7 and 1 E4 to make 3 additional squadrons as well.

I know it's been done to speed up the final game, but I think it might discourage people from participating who don't have a big fleet.

I'd be able to do it if I bought another Heavy cruiser or light cruiser or dreadnought, but I've have now got a large force and I don't like the idea I'd have to buy more just to be able to play.

Ben2 said:
I know it's been done to speed up the final game, but I think it might discourage people from participating who don't have a big fleet.

I do have a biggish fleet - just not three of things.

Greg Smith said:
Ben2 said:

I do have a biggish fleet - just not three of things.

I suppose it's a lot easier to have three of everything with Klingons than it is with, say, Romulans, because you simply have less hulls to buy.

msprange said:
Just to let you all know, a new tournament pack is up, with a new final scenario!

OK, it doesn't say it in the final scenario, but presumably the new undamaged ship is from the ship (n+1) list?

Also, on page 2 it states:

"All five fleets must be drawn from the same fleet list."

But no parameters are given for the overall fleet list as far as I can see...

LBH

Back