SRD Italian Translation

Rubiel

Mongoose
Hello everyone

I am an Italian role playing gamer, who really appreciates the d100-based systems.

I have recently downloaded and enjoyed the RuneQuest's SRD Luxury Edition ( http://mrqwiki.com/wiki/images/a/ac/RuneQuestSRDLuxury.pdf ).
It is a really good work, and I would like, if it is possible, to translate the SRD into Italian: there are many gamers here in Italy who would enjoy RuneQuest's system, but they do not understand English (and, for a person like me who wants to use his beloved Elric of Melnibonè handbook this is a bad thing).

So the matter is: how may I have the permission to transalte RuneQuest's SRD?

In the OGL you can find the following:

(g) ‘Use’, ‘Used’ or ‘Using’ means to use, Distribute, copy, edit, format, modify, translate and otherwise create Derivative Material of Open Game Content.

If I am not mistaken, it should mean, that you can translate the SRD without permission.

You might want to use the original srd from the mongoose page, though. I did some corrections and small (mostly layout-related) changes in the luxury edition, so there is always the chance, that I did something wrong.

In the OGL you can find the following:

(g) ‘Use’, ‘Used’ or ‘Using’ means to use, Distribute, copy, edit, format, modify, translate and otherwise create Derivative Material of Open Game Content.

If I am not mistaken, it should mean, that you can translate the SRD without permission.

Well, this is a good news. :D

And, DirkD, let me pay you a compliment for the luxury edition; I prefer to transalte it to mantain its excellent layout, for it is the best way to attract new players. :wink:

"Editori Folli" had a plan to translate MRQ into Italian, IIRC. But I have heard nothing about it . BRP, Stormbringer and Call of Cthulhu were translated into Italian by Stratelibri, but they are out of print now that Stratelibri is no more. Darn!

If you translate the SRD into Italian I can host it on the Stupor Mundi site. I have never translated my book into Italian for various reasons, but this could be a good opportunity. Modern Roleplayers are no longer all English speakers like we used to be when no translation was available.

Where are you from exactly, Rubiel? I will create an Italian BRP mailing list/site, sooner or later, and I am collecting some references.

I know about the possible translation... in fact I read it was coming more than one year ago, but nothing happened. :cry:
As regards the old basic Stratelibri's stuff it is still available, and I know that in the last year they printed some CoC adventure books.

Where are you from exactly, Rubiel? I will create an Italian BRP mailing list/site, sooner or later, and I am collecting some references.
Well, I am from Sardinia; in fact you can find me on GdRItalia (www.gdritalia.it) as FeAnPi. I'm not an old gamer (actually I am still a teenager :oops: ), but I am one of those Italian gamers who learnt English with the RPG -for I hate to wait an handbook for several years.

I planned to translate the SRD with the help of GdRItalia's translators' staff; and I -but I think that this is the idea of the whole translators' staff- would be pleased by your hosting. :D

There's already french & spanish translations of the SRD, so I don't think the italian version would cause any problem.
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28983
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31249

RosenMcStern said:

Hi,

If you ever do that list, please let me know. I would be glad to subscribe.

Smiorgan

Rubiel said:
I'm not an old gamer (actually I am still a teenager :oops: ), but I am one of those Italian gamers who learnt English with the RPG -for I hate to wait an handbook for several years.

It's a great idea Rubiel.
(Here is one of those old Italian gamers Rosen Mc Stern is referring to. I can remember very well the day I bought RQ2 in a shop in Milan, a shop that was - I think - later bought by stratelibri (it was called strategiochi) and of course it does not exist anymore.)

I think some of the old Stratelibri shops are going to reopen sooner or later. I am taking a note about everyone here, i think there could be some 30+ players interested in a mailing list.

Rubiel said:
And, DirkD, let me pay you a compliment for the luxury edition; I prefer to transalte it to mantain its excellent layout, for it is the best way to attract new players. :wink:

Thanks for the compliment, but how do you want to maintain the layout? Editing pdf's isn't exactly easy or comfortable. I could send you the source-text, but if you are not familiar with LaTeX, it will probably not help a lot (although if you ignore the tables it is easy to read).

Good luck with your project.

Thanks for the compliment, but how do you want to maintain the layout? Editing pdf's isn't exactly easy or comfortable. I could send you the source-text, but if you are not familiar with LaTeX, it will probably not help a lot (although if you ignore the tables it is easy to read).
I hope to receive the help of GdRItalia's staff: here there is people (less computer-arguing than me) who already edited pdfs to mantain the layout of translated netbooks.

i think there could be some 30+ players interested in a mailing list.
And 19 years old players, too.
... at least, one of them. I.

And:
It's a great idea Rubiel.

Good luck with your project.

Thank you! :D

Okay, the Italian discussion group is up at:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/d100italia/

Membership approval is needed to avoid spammers, but I'll approve anyone who knows about d100 and can tell a "fioretto" from a "Fiorucci".

It is about d100, so it will discuss BRP and derivatives, too, but since the new BRP isn't out yet the discussion will be mostly about RuneQuest and Cthulhu for now.

RosenMcStern said:
Okay, the Italian discussion group is up at:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/d100italia/

Membership approval is needed to avoid spammers, but I'll approve anyone who knows about d100 and can tell a "fioretto" from a "Fiorucci".

It is about d100, so it will discuss BRP and derivatives, too, but since the new BRP isn't out yet the discussion will be mostly about RuneQuest and Cthulhu for now.

Great! I have subscribed. I will tell to a friend also.

Hi!
I am a Gamemaster and I play RQ since the 3rd edition in a my own homebrewd setting.
I think it would be great to translate RQ SRD into italian. I'm not so good in writing, but I can read english quite well and I could help in translate it, if you like.

Do you know where I can find the fonts used in the RQ SRD luxury?
I'll join the italian discussion group also.

Ciao!

Niki said:
Do you know where I can find the fonts used in the RQ SRD luxury?
I'll join the italian discussion group also.

Ciao!

DirkD is the username on this forum of the person who put together the (excellent) Luxury SRD pdf - you could pm him about the fonts.

It would be great if you could put up all the varying translations of the SRD onto the wiki.

If you have problems, give me a pm or email.

Niki said:
...Do you know where I can find the fonts used in the RQ SRD luxury?
I'll join the Italian discussion group also...
Hi, I'm Erik Mazoyer and I make the French Translation of RQ SRD.
You can find the fonts used on :
http://www.le-scriptorium.com/~rq/.

If you want, you can also download the French RQ SRD made by OpenOffice (you can dowload the Pdf document or the OpenOffice Document).
Perhaps it will be more easy to you to create the Italian RQ SRD with OpenOffice than LaTeX.
It's up to you !

Back