Spreading the word about RuneQuest

Jed Clayton

Mongoose
Hello all,

I just registered for this forum. I am 31-year old roleplayer from Germany. I first became interested in Mongoose Publishing after learning that they had published the Conan RPG. But they really won me over now with the announcements for the new RuneQuest.

To let you know where I am coming from, let me tell you this: Oddly enough, the first RPG I ever bought was Elfquest, which I got in the spring of 1992. Elfquest used a modified RuneQuest system and was at the time considered "RQ-compatible". I later ventured into superhero and science fiction gaming and did not feel much of a need to explore mainstream fantasy until the autumn of 1997. Since I didn't want to buy anything connected with D&D, I bought a dusty copy of RuneQuest 3rd Edition, the Avalon Hill box, at a local shop. I still remember the month and the week that I got the box, and what it cost. Before long, RQ had become my RPG system of choice and I had become a hardcore supporter of it, not knowing that AH had discontinued publishing it, and Greg Staford in the meantime was making plans to publish the game that was to become "Hero Wars" and later "HeroQuest". My best and most interesting fantasy sessions were played using RQ, from 1997 to 1999. From RuneQuest on, I also made my forays into Pendragon and Stormbringer, also recurring favourites in my collection. I guess I did get around quite a bit over the years.

A year later, in 2000, I bought Hero Wars as soon as I could, and was one of the first people in Germany that ran it (Hi there, Jorganos!). I first met Greg Stafford that summer, at Tentacles 2000. From that point on, I supported Hero Wars and became a quite loyal Glorantha reader and player.

While I still intend to keep running Hero Wars/HeroQuest sessions, I can say from experience that the latter is very hard to break to more traditionalist fantasy gamers, and quite hard to explain to new players and players coming from D&D and other fantasy systems. Most of the people I played with were turned off by the multitude of gods and religions and expert terminology (which I love, by the way). I read the previews for the new RuneQuest a few hours ago and became enchanted all over again. Maybe MRQ is going to do the trick. Maybe that system is going to win me a few more players again. The previews are looking very nice and very promising. I'm also convinced that RQ will be a fine beginner's system, and a very good introduction to semi-realistic fantasy adventures (so much better than some others I could think of ...).

Unlike most of the RuneQuest old-timers I met, my exposure to the game started with the third edition after all, and not the second edition. When I played it for the first time 9 years ago, I ran it as a mostly mainstream fantasy game - full of elves, goblins and even halflings - in a mini-campaign which used the Gloranthan names that I found in the 1984 box's "Glorantha Book". Gradually this game transformed into a Glorantha game, which I stopped when Hero Wars came out. The latter required me to carry out a strict reboot. Back when I played RQ, I even set adventures in Ralios and Nolos.

But the sales point that did win me over for Mongoose's RQ is that it will be set in the Second Age! Now this is where no one in the fan community has gone before. :wink:

Greetings to Matthew Sprange! I can tell he's doing a great job, being RQ's new writer and the head of the company.

Welcome, Jandar. Are you a fan of Lin Carter?

I am an old Stormbringer GM mostly. Don't much care for the Hero Quest rules or even style, to tell the truth. Or Glorantha. But Second Age looks very interesting so that may change. I think the jury is still out on MRQ for most of us here, but I for one am optimistic about it.

Anyway, the more the merrier. :)

Jandar said:
But the sales point that did win me over for Mongoose's RQ is that it will be set in the Second Age!
That is definitely the most enticing point for me -- the Gloranthan material.

Myself (and I think some other people) are on the fence about the rules -- what's been previewed so far has been kinda iffy.

I guess you really need a Second Age mindset, and with the God Learners and EWF and Waertagi, maybe all this weird rune-affinity will work better than it initally appears to.

I am another MRQ optimist. It looks pretty good so far. There will definitely be changes that I will have to get used to, but that is true for any new system.

I am an old RQIII player myself. I started with RQII, but RQIII was my game of choice. I am looking for MRQ to revitalize my old campaign, I will just have to wait and see if that is the case.

I am one of the many people that were unhappy with HeroWars/HeroQuest, though I understand that there are still a lot of people who like it. It seems to be more of a niche market for people who like the "multitude of gods and religions and expert terminology" as you put it. Personally I just want enough information for me to be able to make the game world my own. I don't want to play in "Greg's World".

In any case, happy to see more support for my favorite game and hope that this latest incarnation will bring about another renaissance. As for getting the word out, I posted about RuneQuest on one of the D&D boards I frequent and it was met with apathy. :( I still hold out hope that some of the D20 folks can be saved.

andakitty said:
Welcome, Jandar. Are you a fan of Lin Carter?

I am an old Stormbringer GM mostly. Don't much care for the Hero Quest rules or even style, to tell the truth. Or Glorantha. But Second Age looks very interesting so that may change. I think the jury is still out on MRQ for most of us here, but I for one am optimistic about it.

Anyway, the more the merrier. :)

Am I a fan of Lin Carter? To tell the truth, I still know very little about him. I just like the Jandar books (which I bought from a used books seller after someone had told me they were a tribute to E.R. Burroughs' Barsoom).

I don't want to comment too much about HeroQuest here. I like that system. Some problems I have with it are the fact that "quests" are so strictly mapped out there for you, and only make sense for characters that have grown up in the culture of the respective myth, more or less. HeroQuest makes it hard to run a mixed group of adventurers, and has its best features and tricks reserved to characters who are in a hero band and have advanced to at least Devotee status (a kind of runelord). There are other problems, too, but they would require me to give you a detailed discussion of core HQ concepts and rules.

And yes, I do have a tendency to give games very favourable crits, or not criticize very much at all, knowing how hard it is to even get new RPGs out ... I mean, this is a world of collectible card games and video games. RPGs are a fans' market, not a money-making market.

Lord Twig said:
I am another MRQ optimist. It looks pretty good so far. There will definitely be changes that I will have to get used to, but that is true for any new system ...

As for getting the word out, I posted about RuneQuest on one of the D&D boards I frequent and it was met with apathy. :( I still hold out hope that some of the D20 folks can be saved.

Oh, that I understand. Don't get me started on "D&D folks" ... In my experience people who play D&D religiously won't touch anything that is not D&D, maybe give it a passing glance somewhere somehow, but not play it, or even "convert". Haha.

Years ago, I even encountered gamers at cons who told me RQ was, in their eyes, a "poor man's D&D".

Today I sent private e-mails to some friends of mine who I know played RuneQuest before, and to some who have heard about Glorantha. I also know a very good generic RPG hobby forum from my country where I can post information about any system. I'll put my message there, too.

Welcome to the forum Jandar, from a fellow Glorantha fan.

I don't run my Glorantha using HeroQuest (instead a modified Unisystem), but HeroQuest notation is easy to read and convert, and takes little space from the books. The result? The new Glorantha books are very useful regardless of the game engine one prefers.

Good gaming to you. I'm sad to hear you have a hard time finding gamers. No problem here in Turku (Finland).

Mongoose's release schedule definitely looks very positive, compared to AH's back in the 80s. We're going to get all the Gloranthan material we need to play it in the first few months (rather than having to wait 5 years) :D And the distinct lack of any dubious releases (like Monster Coliseum or Adventurer Sheets) on the schedule is even better. Plus with Lankhmar as the second major setting, there's a lot to attract the casually interested person.

So fingers crossed they'll follow through properly over the coming years and really push the game. I know that there's a lot of folks around who are thoroughly fed up with d20, and are just waiting for a good system with solid support to come along before they make the jump. I know it's wishful thinking, but this just might be it.

Hello!
Welcome to the RQ forum, all I can say is that we have a fine bunch of role-players who post here and while I haven't seen that many other forums the posting here is generally intelligent aqnd well mannered (except for that JomerH Nostin, he's a B*st*rd).

Ade.

I am considering running a demo at a local gamestore on a regular basis for a while after I get the game, if it is anywhere near as good as I think it's going to be. Do you suppose Mongoose would supply any material for something like that?

andakitty said:
I am considering running a demo at a local gamestore on a regular basis for a while after I get the game, if it is anywhere near as good as I think it's going to be. Do you suppose Mongoose would supply any material for something like that?

They might. Send them an email and ask. Alex is a great guy and really all they can say is no.

Hyrum.

GbajiTheDeceiver said:
Mongoose's release schedule definitely looks very positive, compared to AH's back in the 80s. We're going to get all the Gloranthan material we need to play it in the first few months
And a lot of the AH releases were re-treads of RQ2 publications, too.

It will be interesting to see if they can actually keep that schedule -- I think almost every Gloranthan release has been plagued with delays. Of course, it's always a blast to look old publications and see all the Coming Soons that never were...

I for one would love to immerse myself in Leiber's Lankhmar setting and run a RuneQuest game there. That would be like a trip back to some of my first "thieves and rogues" adventures in fantasy gaming. Plus, I always get players interested in playing characters like that.

Hmm, to tell you the truth, I'm already thinking about using this version of RuneQuest and Chaosium's BRP book for a non-Gloranthan sword and sorcery campaign, something set in Hyboria or Lankhmar, or for an unrelated science fantasy game. Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom setting springs to mind, as does Lin Carter's Callisto (where my alias "Jandar" is from).

Have a nice weekend, folks!

Jandar said:
I'm already thinking about using this version of RuneQuest and Chaosium's BRP book for a non-Gloranthan sword and sorcery campaign, something set in Hyboria or Lankhmar, or for an unrelated science fantasy game.

Well, I just discovered that there already is a gigantic thread on this forum to back the idea of a RQ "Conan" book. Who'd have thought it?

Blame that late discovery on me being new on this forum.

I'll put future thoughts on this subject into the correct thread, of course.

Back