Spinward Marches Manufacturing Defects

kafka

Mongoose
Just got a copy of Spinward Marches from a friend...pages 1-21 are normal then at what would be page 22, it starts again at 1. Has anyone else had a similar manufacturer's defect? Shall I send it back to Mongoose for a replacement copy?

Probably send it back to Mongoose... I've heard of this happening elsewhere if the printer messes up.

Yeah, I'd send it back for replacement for sure.

I think what you've got is a wrong pocket. When they bound it, the individual signatures were put sequentially in a line of hoppers in what is called a collator. During collation sigs are pulled in reverse order and pile on each other one after another until the first signature lands on top and the resulting book blocks are routed to the actual binder and thence onto the three-knife which trims the head, foot, and thumb-edge of the book. A wrong pocket might involve just one or two stray signatures but usually, in my experience at least, involves one or more handfuls of the wrong signature being thrown in the hopper or "pocket". The good news is that wrong pockets do not normally involve much more than that, so a replacement should quite safe and complete.

Omega Man said:

I think what you've got is a wrong pocket. When they bound it, the individual signatures were put sequentially in a line of hoppers in what is called a collator. During collation sigs are pulled in reverse order and pile on each other one after another until the first signature lands on top and the resulting book blocks are routed to the actual binder and thence onto the three-knife which trims the head, foot, and thumb-edge of the book. A wrong pocket might involve just one or two stray signatures but usually, in my experience at least, involves one or more handfuls of the wrong signature being thrown in the hopper or "pocket". The good news is that wrong pockets do not normally involve much more than that, so a replacement should quite safe and complete.
I have also seen double stacking when the set up is being done. So if a couple of the make ready copies got through they may have a double sig and still have all the other pages.

By the way, nice description there. :wink:

Daniel

dafrca said:
I have also seen double stacking when the set up is being done. So if a couple of the make ready copies got through they may have a double sig and still have all the other pages.

By the way, nice description there. :wink:

Daniel

Yeah, I've seen that too and thanks for the kind words. It's what I know. I've been in the business for 18 years and binding for eight.

Omega Man said:
Having had this happen once in a while (various companies), let me warn you to not just send it back.

EMAIL them with what the problem is. My experiance is they'll either just send you a new one or at least help you with this.

The ONLY time I've had to return a book was when I was a demo monkey for AEG and the copy of Worlds Largest Dungeon I ordered with my demo points came all messed up (well, they had written on the cover "damaged, do not ship or sell" with silver sharpie). I sent them a photo of the book and why it was marked that way and they actually demanded I send the book back first (at my expense).

So, email Matt, he'll probably take good care of you.

Meanwhile the German version, which includes the new deckplans and
errata, is rumoured to be at the printer ... :shock:

Just wait a few more days, and I will have my German version before
you poor Brits have got your English one ... :p

broken serenity said:
esdevium have it down as shipping next week in the uk so not long till we can get our copies.

Just got an email from my FLGS which says Tuesday at 2pm. At least, I think it's concerning the Spinward Marches Sourcebook.....

How wrong was my rumour ... :(

The German version at the printer is the MGT core rulebook, not the
Spinward Marches book. :oops:

Mental note: Do not trust an illiterate printer.

rust said:
How wrong was my rumour ... :(

The German version at the printer is the MGT core rulebook, not the
Spinward Marches book. :oops:

Mental note: Do not trust an illiterate printer.
How sad, you must have been very disapointed when you realised what is printing.

Daniel

dafrca said:
How sad, you must have been very disapointed when you realised what is printing.

I thought my core rulebook would already be in the hands of my favourite
postman ... :cry:

Back