Special Items

Timber Wolf

Mongoose
Has anyone d20ed any of the following special items and if they are in an official book which one?
Like what are the benefits of having kagonite armour?

Bronin Vest
This finely crafted bronin chainmail adds +3 to combat skill and +1 to Endurance.

Grey Crystal Ring
This ring of translucent grey crystal, the Grey Crystal Ring radiates an energy that is genuinely magical.
This adds +3 to combat skill

Ironheart Broadsword
The Ironheart Broadsword is a magical weapon and adds 8 points to your COMBAT SKILL for the duration of the fight.

Kagonite Chainmail
Wearing this Kagonite Chainmail beneath your tunic will increase your COMBAT SKILL by 3 points and your ENDURANCE by 1 point. Because it is so light, it can be worn beneath any padded or metallic body armour you may possess.

Silver Bracers
This adds +2 to combat skill.

Kagonite Chainmail is in the Darklands book, gives +1 ac and can be stacked with all other armour. Personally i found that a bit weak and made it so that it counted an light chain or could be stacked with other armour for +1 ac.

I thought that Kagonite would be like mithral from the D&D DM's book.
With the bonus of being able to wear two suits of armour some how.

I guess Helshezag the black sword of Darklord Kraagenskûl is in the Darklands book too?

I also guessed that the Ironheart Broadsword should be +10 (+3 sublime, +7 magical) and keen.

It's only +1 ac. There's loads of ways to get that in the game. A silver helmet gives +1 ac and way more besides.

To my mind is pretty silly that someone wearing just a Kagonite chainmail vest is on only +1 ac, that's lower than leather.

I think I see how Kagonite works it really isn't armour it is more like a way of gaining better armour like wearing Kagonite and chainmail gives you +6 armour bonus to ac.
Or +8 if you wear it with plate mail.

jadrax said:
It's only +1 ac. There's loads of ways to get that in the game. A silver helmet gives +1 ac and way more besides.

To my mind is pretty silly that someone wearing just a Kagonite chainmail vest is on only +1 ac, that's lower than leather.

I agree that it's silly, I disagree that it's underpowered because this bonus actualy stacks with everything. That's just obscene.

Personaly I won't let people combine it with light armour but would with medium or heavy since it's technicaly almost medium armour already.

Balgin Stondraeg said:
I agree that it's silly, I disagree that it's underpowered because this bonus actualy stacks with everything. That's just obscene.

Personaly I won't let people combine it with light armour but would with medium or heavy since it's technicaly almost medium armour already.

It may stack with everything, but as lone wolf has limits on items your still using something up to get it. Compair it to say a silver helm, or a armour gem and it's clearly worse.

Also I don't really see how it's almost medium armour, a Chain Shirt is only Light and this is much lghter than that?

So has anyone done a d20 conversion of any of these?

Bronin Vest
This finely crafted bronin chainmail adds +3 to combat skill and +1 to Endurance.

Deathstaff
Using the Deathstaff to accomplish this, you have left yourself vulnerable to its insidious power: lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

Dessi Stone
With a Dessi Stone fitted into its hilt, your Weapon now inflicts double ENDURANCE point losses against an undead opponent in combat.

Doomstone
This glowing crystal is a cursed gem of the Ancients it will bring sickness and death to any mortal who covets it.

Green Mask
This strange mask is made of a green, glass-like mineral and is shaped into a hideous visage. It will keep safe your identity from any casual inspection.

Grey Crystal Ring
This ring of translucent grey crystal, the Grey Crystal Ring radiates an energy that is genuinely magical.
The price of the Grey Crystal Ring is 30 Gold Crowns.

Ironheart Broadsword
The Ironheart Broadsword is a magical weapon and adds 8 points to your COMBAT SKILL for the duration of the fight.

Jadin Amulet
This polished Jadin Amulet which is fixed to a gold neckchain, which you wear around your neck. It adds +1 to your score should you be instructed to pick a number from the Random Number Table to check against normal missiles (arrows, bolts, darts, etc.).

Platinum Amulet
Protective amulet

Psychic Ring

Silver Bracers
This adds +2 to combat skill.

The Doomstones are in the Darklands source book and the Green Mask has been renamed to Glass Mask. And yes, that is in the Darklands sourcebook as well. Not sure about the other items though. Now, if I were to convert some of them to d20 it would be like this...

Bronin Vest - +5 Chainmail W. (+4 Chain, +1 Magical)

Grey Crystal Ring - In d20 a +3 to Base Combat Skill is a big, BIG jump. I would probably change it to +1 to attack rolls. Money system is much different in the d20 RPG so I would make the price about... 600 or 700 Gold Crowns.

Ironheart Broadsword would probably be a +8 Sword (+3 Sublime, +5 Magical).

Dessi Stone - x2 damage against undead sounds a little powerful. Perhaps it add a bonus to damage rolls. +1 bonus to damage rolls against undead characters.

Silver Bracers - +1 magical bonus to attack rolls.

Jadin Amulet - +1 magical bonus to AC against ranged physical attacks.

What I did for the Grey Crystal Ring & Psychic Ring was to give them some Willpower & access to MindShield/Mindblast and Psishield/Psiblast.
It reproduces the fact that they were both psychic amplifiers and, since Mindblast gave +2CS in the books, it more accurately reproduces the effect.

If you think that these items could be too powerful in the hands of someone who has Willpower, you could say that they could only be used with the Willpower inside the ring.

Alasi said:
The Ironheart Broadsword would probably be a +8 Sword (+3 Sublime, +5 Magical).

Dessi Stone - x2 damage against undead sounds a little powerful. Perhaps it add a bonus to damage rolls. +1 bonus to damage rolls against undead characters.

I thought that the Iron Broadsword was a similar plus to the Sommerswerd so gave it the same and then went with keen, since it mentions about how sharp it is somewhere.
The Ironheart Broadsword is a sword of sublime quality, which is even greater than superior quality making it a fearsome artefact weapon which adds a +10 bonus to attack and damage rolls (+3 sublime, +7 magical) and keen.

The Dessi Stone could be okay at x2 damage against undead it all depends on the frequency and power of undead encountered and if the GM thinks it is unbalancing or not.

robertib said:
What I did for the Grey Crystal Ring & Psychic Ring was to give them some Willpower & access to MindShield/Mindblast and Psishield/Psiblast.
It reproduces the fact that they were both psychic amplifiers and, since Mindblast gave +2CS in the books, it more accurately reproduces the effect.

If you think that these items could be too powerful in the hands of someone who has Willpower, you could say that they could only be used with the Willpower inside the ring.

Is an increase in Willpower equal to a +2CS boost, keeping in mind that both rings were found by a Kai Lord who would already have access to MindShield/Mindblast and Psi-screen/Psi-surge?

Maybe something like a +2 bonus to the levels of MindShield/Mindblast and Psi-screen/Psi-surge giving the Kai Lord access to them early and Damage Resistance 7 for PSI-Screen Tier V and Mindshield Tier V giving +7 to Will saves?

Anyone without these Kai Disciplines would gain them at Tier 2 with maybe some Willpower?

Timber Wolf said:
Alasi said:
The Ironheart Broadsword would probably be a +8 Sword (+3 Sublime, +5 Magical).

I thought that the Iron Broadsword was a similar plus to the Sommerswerd so gave it the same and then went with keen, since it mentions about how sharp it is somewhere.
The Ironheart Broadsword is a sword of sublime quality, which is even greater than superior quality making it a fearsome artefact weapon which adds a +10 bonus to attack and damage rolls (+3 sublime, +7 magical) and keen.

The Dessi Stone could be okay at x2 damage against undead it all depends on the frequency and power of undead encountered and if the GM thinks it is unbalancing or not.

It never did sit well with me that there would be another weapon on the face of Magnamund that could contend with the power of the Sommerswerd. But hey, that's just me.

It is in another dimension the Daziarn Plane, so not really on Magnamund. It was just added to give someone without the Sommerswerd a chance to win against the Chaosmaster or whatever he was called.

Even if the Psychic Ring and the Grey Crystal Ring didn’t give you effectively Tier VII Disciplines, they would be okay and it would explain why Lone Wolf dumps them with a whole bunch of his other cool gear.

I did some work previously on these

Psychic Ring
This ring will add either +3 points to Will saves or the same bonus to psychic attacks. It can be swapped once per round as a free action.

Silver Bracers
These bracers empower the wearer to use any melee weapon as if they were proficient in its use. If they are already proficient with the weapon, they gain a +2 competence bonus to attack rolls and a +1 competence bonus to damage dealt whenever using that weapon.

Back