Spaceship Combat Actions question

Bridgetsdad

Mongoose
I am just a tad confused in regards to Space Combat Actions (see pages 73 - 74 of the main rulebook).
As in D20 and restated:
"Each round a charcater can move and take a standard action, take a move-equvalent action and a standard action, or take a full round action"

That much is understoond, however when taking the example of a pilot of a Starfury

If the pilot has to move (move action) then Aquire Target (standard action) how can he actually attack (Attack action).

Am I missing something in the space combat rules here?

I allow all sensor operators to Aquire Target and if successfull, it's in play until s/he chooses to change target or the target is destroyed (or moves out of range). So in a fighter, the pilot aquires a target and then proceed to fire on it on the next and subsequent turns. a battleship, that has more than one sensor operator, they can try to aquire different targets or gang up on one or two.

Hope it helps.

Agreed, the target lock is going to be something the computer does. The pilot just has to line it up. Once you have that lock, it will stay locked until something happens to break the lock. In a fighter duel, I would allow pilots to try and break the lock by flying evasively. Ship sensors will alert a pilot when his ship has been locked onto.

I've gone a different route for fighters.

I have made the way fighters acquire targets part of the shot that is made against their target. If they miss, then they were not able to acquire the target.

How does this work with Minbari jammers and the like you ask? Well, that gets added in as a to hit penalty.

For me this simulates the fighters ability to point and shoot as the same person doing the flying is also doing the shooting. On a starship, the gunner has to anticipate the pilot's movements as well as the target's, thus he really needs the computer to assist in 'locking up' a target.

Hmmm,

I just make aquire target a free action, to more accuratly represent the dogfight. That way if you loose target it can be due to jammers, ecm, countermeasures, enemy pilot's skill, etc. The game mechanic is still in play, and you lose nothing. My players have gotten to the point where they roll 2 d20's one being lock-on and one being the actual shooting. Saves time, and makes for those nice friendly fire possibilities. :)

PsyJack

I like the idea of adding friendly fire to your game, but what do you use to decide whether or not a case of fratricide is about to occur?

Since the group I run uses Starfury Minis, and the ships I throw against them are counters. It is easy to see in a 2d world where the fire is going. That said, and using the same example as a stray PPG shot, you can figure the rest out.

Quick Example:
If a shot is made that misses the target, a new attack is made for each in line target. (in the order they would be hit, until one is hit.) Keeping in mind the range penalties. Anything over 20 inches on the table is safe. :twisted:

Squad Leader has a bogie on his tail. Fighter A takes a shot at the bogie. Missing, Fighter A now has to make an to hit roll on Squad Leader. A success. The bogie luckily provides half cover for the Squad Leader. So rolling percentiles, Fighter A is unlucky and Squad Leader takes friendly damage.

Fighter A gets on the comms and says, "Man that bogie sure is pegging ya, let me see if I can get him off your tail."

PsyJack

OK, though I have one problem with your technique, the hexes in the space combat game never provided a stacking limit thus the hexes were of a very LARGE size. As such I would not allow stray shots to possibly hit another ship unless the original target and the other ship both occupied the same hex. The other reason I wouldn't use it is becuase it adds something else I have to keep track of in big space fights.

In character scale action your rules make a lot of sense though because the squares are very finite and can only be occupied by one medium sized character at a time. (Unless grappling of course)

Dag'Nabbit nicely said:
In character scale action your rules make a lot of sense though because the squares are very finite and can only be occupied by one medium sized character at a time. (Unless grappling of course)

Since I am using a Hex map with large Starfury mini's, only one starfury can occupy a hex at a time. So even though I understand where you are coming from with large scale space combat, I am treating starfighter combat the same as character to character combat. :) And yes I understand the arguement that space is 3d etc, etc. However in my games you fly into or through an occupied square, you better be making those avoid hazard pilot rolls or you just had yourself a collision. And we don't want that now do we??

In the words of one of my players, "NOOOOOOOO! ARRRRGGGHHHH!"

PsyJack

I have an issue with the original target providing cover for the later targets. Cover works because it can absorb the hit for you by getting in the way, but you've already missed the cover or you wouldn't be worried about hitting the friendly on the other side. Also, if the friendly were directly in your line of fire, you wouldn't take the shot.

More likely, you're buddy is to the right, and you try to hit the target, but miss, just as your buddy jinks left and into your line of fire.

In any case, a lot of friendly fire comes from incorrect target identification, not because you missed, but because you shot at the wrong guy. This sort of thing happens when visibility is poor (not usually an issue in space combat) or because somebody isn't where the battle plan says they should be, or more likely, because the person firing isn't where he thinks he is.

Back