Space Stations in Campaigns

Baron EvZ

Mongoose
Greetings, all.

I am a long-time lurker, first time poster.

I've been interested in ACTA for quite some time (I own the First boxed set and the original three rules Suppliments), but I've only recently managed to get my hands on SFOS.

I have a few questions regarding the use of Space Stations in a Campaign.

First, regarding the 5 RR cost for maintaining a Space Station, is there (or should there be) an increased cost for those few Stations of War Priority (Minbari, Vorlon, etc.) as opposed to the majority of stations, which are primarily Battle Priority?

Secondly, if one is treating the "Spacedocks" (as found under Civillian Shipping) as a space station, what priority level should it be considered for purposes of determining its cost when involved in a scenario under the circumstances listed on SFOS, p.197?

Thirdly, if one is using the "Spacedocks" in such a manner, does it cost 5 RR per turn as the other, more powerful Stations (and thus we return to the original question), or is the 1 RR it generates each turn considered to be its "Net" value?

Thank you for your time and consideration, and to the M.I. and Mr. M. Sprange in particular for this highly enjoyable game!

Hi there Baron,

I don't think the larger Space Stations should cost extra RR, they are already charged extra at the time of construction.

I don't really have an opinion on the whole 'spacedocks' issue. sorry.

I think I missed this the first time.

Baron EvZ said:
First, regarding the 5 RR cost for maintaining a Space Station, is there (or should there be) an increased cost for those few Stations of War Priority (Minbari, Vorlon, etc.) as opposed to the majority of stations, which are primarily Battle Priority?

I'd hope not, there is already a substantial cost of having a War level station as opposed to a Battle level station

Baron EvZ said:
Secondly, if one is treating the "Spacedocks" (as found under Civillian Shipping) as a space station, what priority level should it be considered for purposes of determining its cost when involved in a scenario under the circumstances listed on SFOS, p.197?

A Spacedock is a strategic target, as such it will be only available when it is attacked during a campaign, much in the same way as orbital satellites. I would make it a scenario 'freebie'. You may wish to use the Spacedock profile to represent the other Space Installations on Page 190 SFoS.

Baron EvZ said:
Thirdly, if one is using the "Spacedocks" in such a manner, does it cost 5 RR per turn as the other, more powerful Stations (and thus we return to the original question), or is the 1 RR it generates each turn considered to be its "Net" value?

I would say it is the 'net' gain.

Thank you. These are reasonable approaches - I hadn't considered the possibility of using the Station as a "freebie."

my understanding of the space station is: it doesn't count as a strategic target itself. if someone attacks a planet/location with a space station, they can only gain the location by winning a scenario that involves the station. There are circumstances in which the station must be used (certain PL engagements, and certain scenarios), and in all others it is optional for the defender. I don't believe it is ever stated as a free choice though.
In addition, I wouldn't assume the strategic locations that are space installations are indeed space stations (ie docks, diplomatic station...)

Chernobyl

I think it might have just been bad wording. I was suggesting using space installations (space dock, trade station etc.) as the scenario freebie, not Battle/War PL Space Stations.

Hi,

So, here's a question: while it is clear that a campaign player can acquire a space station over the coures of a campaign (either by seizing a strategic target containing one, or by building one via RR), is it possible to take a space station as part of one's starting fleet, and then "building" it once the player controls a viable strategic target?

FMB

Don't think that's allowed. Just had a mental picture of your fleet towing a dirty great space station behind it. Or a really big flatpack box. :)

Hi,

Ended up finding the reference last night. You can't take them as part of the starting fleet, but can take them as part of your RR; they just cost more. Twice, or maybe three times as much.

FMB

Fireymonkeyboy said:
Hi,

Ended up finding the reference last night. You can't take them as part of the starting fleet, but can take them as part of your RR; they jsut cost more. Twice, or maybe three times as much.

FMB

SFOS FAQ says 3 times the normal cost.

LBH

Back