Sorcery and Grimoires

@stroval said:
So most of those older Supplements aren't worth getting to mine for ideas?
Unless you're doing some research into the history of spell narrative development from the early days of RuneQuest. I dug through RQ supplements looking for stats on elementals, for instance, only to come to the conclusion that it'd be easier to make up the stats on the spot - as long as they were consistent. And a lot of the Mongoose RQ stuff depended on the characters acquiring Runes - something that has been removed from the Legend writeups.

There are a few threads here and there on this forum containing a variety of spell descriptions for Legend, and I'm sure someone's collated a list of magic from this forum somewhere.

'Magic of the Young Kingdoms' is an excellent source book. It has a Necromancy section and the grimoires provided are full of intriguing dangers and plot hooks.

alex_greene said:
@stroval said:
So most of those older Supplements aren't worth getting to mine for ideas?
Unless you're doing some research into the history of spell narrative development from the early days of RuneQuest. I dug through RQ supplements looking for stats on elementals, for instance, only to come to the conclusion that it'd be easier to make up the stats on the spot - as long as they were consistent. And a lot of the Mongoose RQ stuff depended on the characters acquiring Runes - something that has been removed from the Legend writeups.

There are a few threads here and there on this forum containing a variety of spell descriptions for Legend, and I'm sure someone's collated a list of magic from this forum somewhere.

Not even new professions and items that can be used?

havercake lad said:
'Magic of the Young Kingdoms' is an excellent source book. It has a Necromancy section and the grimoires provided are full of intriguing dangers and plot hooks.

A quick google search indicates that was an Elric supplement.I will check it out, thank you :)

There is a distinct lack of new occupations in much of the MRQII material, you will find some details of variants on character generation in the Lankhmar book for example. Items are few and far between as Runequest/Glorantha has never used artifacts or magic items to any degree. You will find some items in the Elric book Magic of the Young Kingdoms as the setting uses them, there are some in the back issues of Signs and Portents and Deus Vult has a great section involving potions, draughts and magical items that you might find useful for a game where magic items are far more widespread than most Legend games.

Legend and it's precursor work best in a setting where low-level magic is available but access is controlled by cults and churches. If you don't restrict the availability of magic then characters often get fixated on spells and magic items to the detriment of the game. If you stick with the +5% bonus items generated by the rules in Arms of Legend and the odd magic crystal with a few uses of a spell or the ability to store MPs then the game will work just fine.

strega said:
There is a distinct lack of new occupations in much of the MRQII material, you will find some details of variants on character generation in the Lankhmar book for example. Items are few and far between as Runequest/Glorantha has never used artifacts or magic items to any degree. You will find some items in the Elric book Magic of the Young Kingdoms as the setting uses them, there are some in the back issues of Signs and Portents and Deus Vult has a great section involving potions, draughts and magical items that you might find useful for a game where magic items are far more widespread than most Legend games.

Legend and it's precursor work best in a setting where low-level magic is available but access is controlled by cults and churches. If you don't restrict the availability of magic then characters often get fixated on spells and magic items to the detriment of the game. If you stick with the +5% bonus items generated by the rules in Arms of Legend and the odd magic crystal with a few uses of a spell or the ability to store MPs then the game will work just fine.

I guess creating new occupations seems easy enough. I was just wondering if there were more magical professions in RQ I & RQ II so I could have a rough idea when creating my own...

A Mage-warrior that channels magic through swords for instance.

Should I have the players create a sorcerer with high martial arts skills and armor or a new occupation is required?

Elric is a mage/warrior who could be said to channel magic through his sword. It happens his sword is actually a demon. Take a look at the Elric material that uses the MRQII ruleset for more information.

Mashing up several possibly incompatible styles of sword and sorcery is likely to give rise to a game that is more like Dungeons and Dragons than Legend. A look at Classic Fantasy which does D and D using the Basic Role Playing system might give you some ideas about how to go about this.

strega said:
Elric is a mage/warrior who could be said to channel magic through his sword. It happens his sword is actually a demon. Take a look at the Elric material that uses the MRQII ruleset for more information.

Mashing up several possibly incompatible styles of sword and sorcery is likely to give rise to a game that is more like Dungeons and Dragons than Legend. A look at Classic Fantasy which does D and D using the Basic Role Playing system might give you some ideas about how to go about this.

Thanks. I am more interested in the flavor of different approaches to magic than a D&D game.

A sword-mage could be a sorcerer with a grimoire stored or carved through weaponry for instance..

So its still Legend, but accommodates my World's flavor/fluff at the same time

I am still figuring stuff out.

@stroval said:

Should I have the players create a sorcerer with high martial arts skills and armor or a new occupation is required?

I don't know if this may help you.
In our Arkania adaptation, elves have a group of warrior that combine the art of the sword with Spirit Magic (our elves practice only Common and Spirit Magic). I´ll put their profesion. If you change their arcane skills you could use Sorcery or Divine magic instead.

Arcane Warrior
Basic Skills; Athletics +5%, Influence +5%, Resistance +5%, Lore (Regional) +5%
One weapon skill +10%
Advanced Skills: Survival
Magic Skills: Spirit Binding or Spirit Walking.

Fonso said:
@stroval said:

I don't know if this may help you.
In our Arkania adaptation, elves have a group of warrior that combine the art of the sword with Spirit Magic (our elves practice only Common and Spirit Magic). I´ll put their profesion. If you change their arcane skills you could use Sorcery or Divine magic instead.

Arcane Warrior
Basic Skills; Athletics +5%, Influence +5%, Resistance +5%, Lore (Regional) +5%
One weapon skill +10%
Advanced Skills: Survival
Magic Skills: Spirit Binding or Spirit Walking.

Now,thats what I'm talking about :)

Thank you

I have found other profession which could be useful to you, @Stroval.

Templar
Basic Skills: Dodge +5%, Influence 10%, First Aid +5%
One Combat Style +10%
Advanced Skills:
Choose One: Language, Healing, Lore (Theology), Survival.
Magic Skills: Piety (God) (1) or Invoke Miracle (2)

From Blood-magic, I think.
(1) Pact-like skill, used to measure a miracle's strength.
(2) Used to invoke and regain miracles of any cult

Our houserules limit the armor use on Sorcery and therefore there is no real kind of arcane-fighter using Sorcery in our adaptation.

Fonso said:
I have found other profession which could be useful to you, @Stroval.

Templar
Basic Skills: Dodge +5%, Influence 10%, First Aid +5%
One Combat Style +10%
Advanced Skills:
Choose One: Language, Healing, Lore (Theology), Survival.
Magic Skills: Piety (God) (1) or Invoke Miracle (2)

From Blood-magic, I think.
(1) Pact-like skill, used to measure a miracle's strength.
(2) Used to invoke and regain miracles of any cult

Our houserules limit the armor use on Sorcery and therefore there is no real kind of arcane-fighter using Sorcery in our adaptation.

Ah the divine equivalent. Cheers again

@stroval said:
Thanks. I am more interested in the flavor of different approaches to magic than a D&D game.

A sword-mage could be a sorcerer with a grimoire stored or carved through weaponry for instance..

You misunderstand me. I'm suggesting that you look at a product that is BRP based (similar to Legend) that uses the BRP system to emulate an older style of game. It's useful to see how the author takes the mechanics of BRP and moulds it to emulate the feel of D and D. You may find that you get some insight in manipulating Legend (BRP) to achieve what you are seeking.

Similarly by examining Elric/Stormbringer, another variant BRP game, you can see how to use BRP to emulate another style of game that might assist you in seeing how to achieve the flavour of your game world. Elric, Magic of the Young Kingdom has Necromancy, Rune Magic, Sorcery, Demon magic and Alchemy just as an example.

Chances are if you are looking at anything BRP based then it's been done before and probably in multiple ways. More that thirty years of development has gone into D100 systems so take advantage of that hard work.

strega said:
@stroval said:

You misunderstand me. I'm suggesting that you look at a product that is BRP based (similar to Legend) that uses the BRP system to emulate an older style of game. It's useful to see how the author takes the mechanics of BRP and moulds it to emulate the feel of D and D. You may find that you get some insight in manipulating Legend (BRP) to achieve what you are seeking.

Similarly by examining Elric/Stormbringer, another variant BRP game, you can see how to use BRP to emulate another style of game that might assist you in seeing how to achieve the flavour of your game world. Elric, Magic of the Young Kingdom has Necromancy, Rune Magic, Sorcery, Demon magic and Alchemy just as an example.

Chances are if you are looking at anything BRP based then it's been done before and probably in multiple ways. More that thirty years of development has gone into D100 systems so take advantage of that hard work.

Oh no I understood about the books, I am planning to get a hold of them thank you

:)

I was just explaining that I don't want a D&D styled Legend

Take a look at Anthony Hunter's work on creating a game world set in a sort of piratey 18th Century using Legend and other Open Game material.

http://swashbucklersofatlantis.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/welcome.html

If you get the Character Creation Guide (LHS Downloadable Files) you can see how you can take the OGL content from Legend and make it into a completely unique game by making new or adjusted professions.

It may help you with making your own game world using Legend.

strega said:
Take a look at Anthony Hunter's work on creating a game world set in a sort of piratey 18th Century using Legend and other Open Game material.

http://swashbucklersofatlantis.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/welcome.html

If you get the Character Creation Guide (LHS Downloadable Files) you can see how you can take the OGL content from Legend and make it into a completely unique game by making new or adjusted professions.

It may help you with making your own game world using Legend.

I see... I 'll have a look, cheers

Back