Soooo... did you get more excited?

They seem to be a carbon copy of Tau from 40k.

The whole Democracy just sounds like the 'greater good' repackaged. Fighting in striders with lots of big guns, battle suits anyone?

Ok so GW also stole the idea from manga/anima who have been doing these sort of things for years... just wish someone would come along and do something fresh and new with it.

"Carbon Copy" is a bit unfair.

The look of the Forth mini's has a slightly more 'Eldary' feel to them IMHO.

Yes - they are a little contrived, and for a reason I reckon - to 'tempt' people to the righteous SST path!

:D

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
"Carbon Copy" is a bit unfair.

So the Forth were once at war with one another then came a mysterious figure called an Ethereal who made it all ok. See what I did there... :wink:

But by definition, for them to be a "carbon copy" they would have to be the same in every respect.

A ripoff of the Tau they may be, but "carbon copy" they are not.

In actuality, the word "Ethereal" isn't used at all - he's called the Prophet . . . . .

They fight in striders, physicaly weak, highly intelligent, are all united for their species and ideas, favour ranged attacks over close combat, had some mysterious prophet come and calm the race down before they near enough destroyed them. How is this not the Tau? They only things that seem to be different is that they are blue skined, and not Humanoid... and of course they appear in differnt game systems.

Ripoff's can only go so far till they are for want of a better phrase 'a Carbon Copy'.

I'm not saying that GW came up with these ideas first... they didn't, but for Mongoose to produce their Carbon copy version just seems a bit weak. Now if Mongoose looked at the idea and did something new with it I wouldn't be as unimpressed with them.

I agree . TO A POINT (and no further).

Both physically different, the Forth don't fight outside their Fighting Machines at all (that makes them more in common with the Martians from War of the Worlds really).

The Tau have other Races in their Armies, the Forth do not.

Yes, they are DEFINITELY inspired by the Tau - but Carbon Copies they simply are not.

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
I agree . TO A POINT (and no further).

Both physically different, the Forth don't fight outside their Fighting Machines at all (that makes them more in common with the Martians from War of the Worlds really)

They do fight out side of their striders... they just feel nacked with out them. It talks about hunting groups who use tunnels which are too small for their striders, and use ambush tactics.

The Forth are not a copy of the Tau. Instead, both the Tau and the Forth are inspired by a broad spectrum of Japanese anime designs. Because they're pulling from the same art style, there's bound to be similarities.

Turtle said:
The Forth are not a copy of the Tau. Instead, both the Tau and the Forth are inspired by a broad spectrum of Japanese anime designs. Because they're pulling from the same art style, there's bound to be similarities.

Stonehorse said:
They fight in striders, physicaly weak, highly intelligent, are all united for their species and ideas, favour ranged attacks over close combat, had some mysterious prophet come and calm the race down before they near enough destroyed them. How is this not the Tau? They only things that seem to be different is that they are blue skined, and not Humanoid... and of course they appear in differnt game systems.

Ripoff's can only go so far till they are for want of a better phrase 'a Carbon Copy'.

I'm not saying that GW came up with these ideas first... they didn't, but for Mongoose to produce their Carbon copy version just seems a bit weak. Now if Mongoose looked at the idea and did something new with it I wouldn't be as unimpressed with them.

Next time you barge into a debate at least have the common sense to read other peoples comments first. :wink:

Lieutenant Rasczak said:

Both physically different, the Forth don't fight outside their Fighting Machines at all (that makes them more in common with the Martians from War of the Worlds really).

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
SOMETIMES is the term used, whereas Fire Warriors are a common Troop Choice.

So which one is it... you've just contradicted yourself in the space of a few hours, while trying to make a futile point. :roll:

Now I remember why I stopped coming to this forum... it reeks of blinkered Fanboyism.

Stonehorse said:
Turtle said:

Stonehorse said:

Next time you barge into a debate at least have the common sense to read other peoples comments first. :wink:

Lieutenant Rasczak said:

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
SOMETIMES is the term used, whereas Fire Warriors are a common Troop Choice.

So which one is it... you've just contradicted yourself in the space of a few hours, while trying to make a futile point. :roll:

Now I remember why I stopped coming to this forum... it reeks of blinkered Fanboyism.

First of all - Manners (which you seem to be lacking) cost NOTHING. Insulting members because they may have missed something is out of order.

Secondly, QUOTING people out of context (I.E. leaving out your responses in between) just makes you seem churlish (if not childish) - trying to win an argument by belittling people is an indication of immaturity.

Thirdly - Its not a futile point. Are the Forth inspired by/ripped off from the Tau, yes (well at least they both took inspiration from the same source material). Are they a Carbon Copy no!

You also made a rather facile claim (in a VERY patronizing way)

So the Forth were once at war with one another then came a mysterious figure called an Ethereal who made it all ok. See what I did there... Wink

Not once in the S&P Article is the name "Ethereal" used, simply lying to prove a point is not on really.

Lastly - your final remark

So why don't you join Frothers then (if you aren't a member already) their abusive and somewhat childish style may just suit you.

Forth have not much in common with Tau.
There may be similarities but these are few.

Forth are truly Aliens in their appearence, not strange looking blue men. They are intelligent to a degree that renders any Tau a dumb idiot. And they do not try to make friendship with all races around them or assimilate them into their great empire.

They have looked at their neighbours and rated them dumb and uninterresting. They are not a expansionistic race (as Tau are) but a defensic acting one, that hust strikes to prevent further violence in their own territory.

They have no leaders like etherials but instead live in a society of some strange version of democracy where anyone can influence anything.

And, instead of Tau, they do not just pretend to be sophisticated and free, they ARE.
Living in a society where anyone can acces any information and all people are connected to each other at any time, this far more a mutual than a bunch of dumb Tau following their enigmatic good-smelling etherials.

All in all the Forth are a much better worked out concept than the Tau.

Galatea said:
Forth have not much in common with Tau.
There may be similarities but these are few.

Forth are truly Aliens, not strange looking blue men. They are intelligent to a degree that renders any Tau a dumb idiot. And they do not try to make friendship with all races around them or assimilate them into their great empire.

They have looked at their neighbours and rated them dumb and uninterresting. They are not a expansionistic race (as Tau are) but a defensic acting one, that hust strikes to prevent further violence in their own territory.

They have no leaders like etherials but instead live in a society of some strange version of democracy where anyone can influence anything.

And, instead of Tau, they do not just pretend to be sophisticated and free, they ARE.
Living in a society where anyone can acces any information and all people are connected to each other at any time, this far more a mutual than a bunch of dumb Tau following their enigmatic good-smelling etherials.

All in all the Forth are a much better worked out concept than the Tau.

I think the Forth are the 'Tau' of SST, and probably deliberately so. Tau are a very popular 40k Army, and the Forth are mostly likely intended as the 'carrot' to tempt players over.

It may be that they are aimed at the same target group.
But they are a better worked out concept and after all remind more on Battletech or the War of the Worlds than on Tau.

(Espacially the similarities to the War of the Worlds book are truly striking)

Galatea said:
It may be that they are aimed at the same target group.
But they are a better worked out concept and after all remind more on Battletech or the War of the Worlds than on Tau.

(Especially the similarities to the War of the Worlds book are truly striking)

The Look is more Robotech than Battletech IMHO (which actually inspired the first Battletech game - Battledroids, the name changed later).

In particular the Forth Walkers remind me of the Invid Mech's from Robotech - not necessarily in specific design - but in style if you get me.

shktroop.jpg

But they are more like the H.G. Wells Martians physically, as they are weak and dependant on their War Machines.

Back