Soooo... did you get more excited?

Lorcan Nagle said:
Well the Invid were physically weak and dependent on their war machines too - but not to the degree the Forth are.

So they are more likely to have been inspired by the Invid from the Robotech Saga, than by the Tau then :)

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
First of all - Manners (which you seem to be lacking) cost NOTHING. Insulting members because they may have missed something is out of order.[/color]

I've not insulted anyone (other than Fanboys*)... Emoticons are useful at making comments that seem insultive to be not insultive... but rather in gest. No where in my previous comments did I do what would be regarded as being belittleing or childish, bar the reeking of blinkered Fanboyism... which we can all be guilty of at least once in our lives.

*Look at the Battlefield Evolution Debacle to see how people can be Fanboys, and well sorry to say (type) this Fanboys need to open their eyes and get an opinion.

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
Secondly, QUOTING people out of context (I.E. leaving out your responses in between) just makes you seem churlish (if not childish) - trying to win an argument by belittling people is an indication of immaturity.[/b][/color]

Reason for leaving out a bit is to try to stop replies looking a) Ugly, and b) Long. If you want I'll go back and edit my comments so they have EVERYTHING that was typed by myself and the people I'm quoting... but be warned it may be a tad long and look like a Quoting Pyramid, which I'm trying to avoid.

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
Thirdly - Its not a futile point. Are the Forth inspired by/ripped off from the Tau, yes (well at least they both took inspiration from the same source material). Are they a Carbon Copy no[/b][/color]

The way I see it is that the background seems to be such an exact copy of the Tau's. If their background were different, then I wouldn't be calling them a Carbon Copy (which is a figure of speech). It seemed that you were pinning all your argument on these facts which you then contradicted.

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
You also made a rather facile claim (in a VERY patronizing way)[/b]

So the Forth were once at war with one another then came a mysterious figure called an Ethereal who made it all ok. See what I did there... Wink

Not once in the S&P Article is the name "Ethereal" used, simply lying to prove a point is not on really.

I was going for humour and Sarcasim...I know that the name Ethereal was never used in S&P, what I did was a name swap to show how Mongoose have Plagarized the idea. I'm against Plagarism (which is why I can't spell it :wink: ), influencing on the other hand is a great thing when done correctly.

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
Lastly - your final remark[/b][/color]

Now I remember why I stopped coming to this forum... it reeks of blinkered Fanboyism.

So why don't you join Frothers then (if you aren't a member already) their abusive and somewhat childish style may just suit you.

What is Frothers? I've not been abusive (other than to Fanboys), yet you have called me Childish, Abusive, patronizing, and belittling of and to people. I still fail to see how you think I have done any of these things, while you yourself are being the above.

What is Frothers? I've not been abusive (other than to Fanboys), yet you have called me Childish, Abusive, patronizing, and belittling of and to people. I still fail to see how you think I have done any of these things, while you yourself are being the above.

Good try at a deflection, but no cigar.

Accusing people of doing the things you are actually guilty of, doesn't make you innocent.

You are just being boorish because you have had things pointed out, pure and simple.

People use the term Fanboy to freely nowadays, the instant someone likes something they are branded a "Fanboy".

Better a Fanboy than a "Neg" anyday.

lastbesthope said:
Isn't it though, one of these days I'm going to sit down with:

The A:2089 corebook and all 6 supplements
The A:2089 novel Standing Alone (Available from the Mongoose website)
The SST novel
The SST RPG and all it's supplements
SST Evo rules and stats
BF:Evo rules and stats

Read them all, and then extrapolate some A:2089 Evo stats

Shiny!

LBH

May I suggest painting all your models first?
Couldn't resist :roll:

Kristovich said:
lastbesthope said:
Isn't it though, one of these days I'm going to sit down with:

The A:2089 corebook and all 6 supplements
The A:2089 novel Standing Alone (Available from the Mongoose website)
The SST novel
The SST RPG and all it's supplements
SST Evo rules and stats
BF:Evo rules and stats

Read them all, and then extrapolate some A:2089 Evo stats

Shiny!

LBH

May I suggest painting all your models first?
Couldn't resist :roll:

You may suggest anything you like, just don't expect it to have any effect on reality :lol:

LBH

You could say that ever bit of future warfare fiction is "weak" because they're just "carbon copying" Robert A Heinlein's vision of infantry powered armor in the Starship Troopers book.

Those tau battlesuits? Heinlein's idea, carbon copy. All that anime? Carbon copy. Forth? Sure, carbon copy. The Master Chief from Halo? Carbon copy.

You could call GW weak for not being able to pull another unique and interesting army out its own settings, instead they tack on an anime-like army to boost sales. Heck, look at all those space marine variances, carbon copies.

Turtle said:
You could say that ever bit of future warfare fiction is "weak" because they're just "carbon copying" Robert A Heinlein's vision of infantry powered armor in the Starship Troopers book.

Those tau battlesuits? Heinlein's idea, carbon copy. All that anime? Carbon copy. Forth? Sure, carbon copy. The Master Chief from Halo? Carbon copy.

You could call GW weak for not being able to pull another unique and interesting army out its own settings, instead they tack on an anime-like army to boost sales. Heck, look at all those space marine variances, carbon copies.

Superb!

:roll: Same old tired arguaments carted out once again, who saw that coming.

Ignoring for the moment the inherant flaw that all sci fi is so derivative anyone with google and ten minuites could find an earlier writer who used power armour before him (hell I can tell you for free that E E Smith mentions it in those lensman books in the 30's!), can we please actually move this whole thing on, its pathetic reading the exact same comments and opinions carted out again on this forum nearly a year latter.

I actually agree with Turtle here, if you're going to start aiming the 'oh they ripped off Heinlein' barrel at sci fi we'll be here all day wont we?
Hell it could even be argued that just buying the rights to Starship troopers is the most derivative thing you could do :lol:, which is exactly why this line of though will get us nowhere.
That said, the Forth sound a little bit like the tau, just like they did eight months ago. Its inescapable, two anime inspired advanced races stered towards peace by a mysterious religious caste that has just appeared fighting against the warlike forces of humanity in a sci fi wargame setting?
Hell even if EE were inspired by Heinlein and his successors, its pretty clear that Mongoose were at least inspired in part by the success EE has had with the Tau and tacked them onto SST to improve sales.

Rather than trying to deny it, why not accept it? Mongoose have had ages to flesh out the back ground for them, so Im figuring by the time we actually see the book they'll have something to differentiate between the two, and its been pretty much established by 40K Warmachine etc that theres a market out there for giant fighting robots in wargames so its a good thing for the game.
All of this holier than thou rubbish people cart out achieves absolutly nothing other than reminding people what went wrong first time round and the attitudes and opinions of the time.

MaxSteiner said:
Its inescapable, two anime inspired advanced races stered towards peace by a mysterious religious caste

A point to make here - you haven't seen all the background behind the Forth yet (another dose next month!). They most certainly are _not_ being steered towards peace. . .

They most certainly are _not_ being steered towards peace. . .
soo, they are, in fact, breaking from their isolationist polity, and start a new age of conquest and growth, being directed by a mysterious religious leader(s)?

msprange said:
MaxSteiner said:
Its inescapable, two anime inspired advanced races stered towards peace by a mysterious religious caste

A point to make here - you haven't seen all the background behind the Forth yet (another dose next month!). They most certainly are _not_ being steered towards peace. . .

Here's hoping as this would in my honest opinion steer the Forth away from the notion of being a Tau copy.

As I said to Lieutenant Rasczak in a PM, I have high hopes for SST, it's a great game and I hope the Forth along with the other races help bring success.

A piece of constructive feedback I can give is when giving background previews, try to steer clear of things that will give the impression of being a 'carbon copy'.

If they do turn out to not be a carbon copy, then I have been proved wrong, which is a good thing in this case. As boarderline plagarisim is a bit of a turn off.

All put aside, the forth look cooler than any GW 40k thing I have ever seen.
With the right paintjob (I'll be changing mine) they don't have to look 'manga' or 'anime' stylised.

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
Max mate, my Kid comes on this Forum PLEASE don't use words like Bulls**t.

Why? Do you think his head will explode from that pad pad word?
Sorry, I can't imagine your kid hasn't ever heard it.

Some people (espacially americans) act a strange way here. Teaching little children how to shoot with rifles and arming half of their citizens or playing games where little soldiers kill each other on nice 28mm battlefields but getting outraged about words like bullshit.
Appears somehow hypocritical to me.

Sorry, but I had to say this.

Poko said:
soo, they are, in fact, breaking from their isolationist polity, and start a new age of conquest and growth, being directed by a mysterious religious leader(s)?

No :)

Stonehorse said:
A piece of constructive feedback I can give is when giving background previews, try to steer clear of things that will give the impression of being a 'carbon copy'.

If they do turn out to not be a carbon copy, then I have been proved wrong, which is a good thing in this case. As boarderline plagarisim is a bit of a turn off.

I am afraid I believe you are wrong in your preconceptions.

Galatea said:

Unfortunately, you do not get to tell someone else how to raise their child. In any case, _I_ would prefer not to see such words on our forums.

Galatea said:
Lieutenant Rasczak said:
Max mate, my Kid comes on this Forum PLEASE don't use words like Bulls**t.

Some people (espacially americans) act a strange way here. Teaching little children how to shoot with rifles and arming half of their citizens or playing games where little soldiers kill each other on nice 28mm battlefields but getting outraged about words like bullshit.
Appears somehow hypocritical to me.

Sorry, but I had to say this.

No, but it will go like this.

"Mom a man was Swearing on his posts on the Troopers Forum today", then his Mom will 'ban' him from looking on here.

I would rather Adam not be punished for someone else's language, if thats OK?

Sooo...

I see a lot of people do get excited around here. :D

Whether(?) they are based from something else or not, I still like them (and for a fact, I still think the graphic novel of Haldeman's Eternal War contributed to the appearance of the Tau)

Could be wrong, but that doesn't matter, I'm not an encyclopedia(?) :D

s

Back