Some questions

JNJ

Banded Mongoose
While creating a character, these questions arised :

- If you enter a military academy and graduate, you obtain all the service skills at level 0. This is the same benefit as for your 1st term in a career.
It implies that you don't gain any skill imrovement for the 1st term of your military career after Military academy. I chose to consider 1st term as a 2nd term and roll for skills.

I know it has been already discussed but I didn't find a clarification by Mongoose. Maybe I didn't search enough. Did I miss something ?

- Entry roll in or university or military academy and qualification for careers :
All those are determined by a roll but I couldn't find no prerequisite as in previous editions I think. So to take extreme examples, a character with EDU 2 could enter University, a character with END2 could enter military academy or become a Marine ... and a character with Soc 2 could attempt a Noble carrier if rolling 12 (which could certainly lead to interesting scenarios to explain what happened).

For my game, I will use prerequisites and then qualifaction rolls.

Did I misunderstood or missed something ? How do you handle this in your games ?

Thanks and Happy new year to all!

Page 16 of the updated Core rulebook has the ENTRY rolls required for the military academy, and modifiers if you go after other careers.
Once you have completed basic training, normal skill progression occurs. So if you go to the academy, and then enter the appropriate service, you roll for skills normally one term one of service (Character's term 2).

Thanks for your answers

Arkathan said:
Page 16 of the updated Core rulebook has the ENTRY rolls required for the military academy, and modifiers if you go after other careers.

Yes, I saw that, I was just surpised that there was no prerequisite minimum to enter some pre-careers or careers. We could imagine that End 5 would be a minimum and that someone with a lower endurance wouldn't be retained for the military academy or a Marine career even if he succeded the entry roll.

Same someone can enter a university with an EDU of 4 and a good roll, a minimum of 6 could be required.

I was wondering because in T4 for example, you could find for the Noble career : "Enlistment: Soc A+ required". Of course it applies In Mgt2 but doesn't seems written.

Arkathan said:
Once you have completed basic training, normal skill progression occurs. So if you go to the academy, and then enter the appropriate service, you roll for skills normally one term one of service (Character's term 2).

Thanks, seems logical, that's how I played it.

You're welcome.
A really low requisite score comes with a negative DM, so they have to be really lucky or influential to get past the recruiters, and then the survival rolls will probably weed them out quickly.

It isn't guaranteed that entry and survival rolls (by specialization) key off of the same stat. The only core career that does this is Marine. In any other career you might face a difficult roll to get in but have an easy time with survival if you do.

In any case, MgT has flipped around the minimum requirement and made a high value give a benefit instead (automatic qualification for Noble, commission rolls in any term, and possibly others that I don't remember offhand).

In theory you need to pass a minimum fitness test to get into the military, and you can't hope to get a string of twelves.

In practice, it depends on which on how desperate they are to fill certain slots, which not necessarily require the recruit to hunkerdown for days in a foxhole.

Back