Some newbie questions

Galastro

Mongoose
Hi,

I've been playing D&D for some years now. Just playing and haven't been DM. Now my buddies want me to run a Conan campaign. So I went to the store and bought everything I could get my hand on (in Sweden). 11 books/boxes in total. Yes, expensive, but what the hell...

I'm new to Conan, but not new to the D20-system. Now I'm looking for some tips from more experienced Conan players/GMs. Which books should i read first? Which countries should I studdy more? etc etc.

Looking forward to here some great tips from you guys.

//Galastro

Welcome to a whole new world...you'lll love it. I think it's better than D&D3.5 personally, and a lot more deadly, but ther are some distinct differences that are pretty huge.

First of all, did you get the Atlanean Edition of the core rulebook? That makes a difference on some of the answers you might get. Both editions are fine, but the revised version, the Atlantean, made a huge number of corrections and improvements.

Aside from reading the rule book first, I say read Road of Kings next. Frome there the next best resources, in an order dependant on the direction youplan to take the campaign are Scrolls of Skelos, Pirate Isles and Hyboria's Fiercest. The latter one is pretty much well rounded for any race/class so that one may be more in line as the best third book to read.

Sutek said:
First of all, did you get the Atlanean Edition of the core rulebook? That makes a difference on some of the answers you might get. Both editions are fine, but the revised version, the Atlantean, made a huge number of corrections and improvements.

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I did get the Atlanean Edition.

Great tips! I've started to look at that "core" book. Just needed some guide lines. It's alot of books to read :lol:

//Galastro

WHat Sutek said is on the money. Definitely read Road of Kings (after the rulebook of course).

Also, have you read any of REH's works? If you haven't, I would suggest picking up a few paperbacks. The Conan RPG sword and sorcery style of adventuring is a bit different than what most D&D/d20 players may be used to.

I agree with what Sutek wrote as well. And congratulations on picking up this game, I think you'll enjoy it. You'll notice when you read the rules book that there are some big differences between Conan and D&D v.3.5. As you may have noticed, there are hundreds of posts to this forum, but if you take your time searching the posts you will probably find most of the answers within the various threads.

A couple other threads similar to your question can be found here:
What should I buy next?[url link not working for this thread], and recommend supplments after the core rulebook?

As far as countries, things like that, I guess I'd say that as someone new to this setting (and the stories it's based on), go with the source material you picked up. If you got Across Thunder River, that's a pretty full campaign setting for the western border region between Aquilonia & the Pict wilderness, kind of like colonial upstate New York setting in the Leatherstocking Tales by James Fennimore Cooper (Last of the Mohicans). This book is part of the region of Aquilonia, so if you got that book then it's got plenty of information on that western kingdom.If you got the Shadizar boxed set then that city setting will give you a bit of resources, adventures to use, etc. (Be sure to order the corrected map from Mongoose, as the one in the boxed set was for a different game and does not fit this world!!). The same for the Messantia boxed set. Or if you got Tales of the Black Kingdom, that book has several adventure ideas for the African-like settings south of Stygia. Not knowing what you picked up, I'm just offering these as suggestions.

Every gaming group's style is different. The stories this game is based on were fast and loose, dealing with Conan, a barbarian who got caught up in a lot of political struggles but himself had little scheming. He ages almost 30 years throughout the stories, told in an episodic manner, usually begun en medias res. Magic is VERY different, combining both the D&D like spells with new ones, but magic users are very different in both approach & style, more like the Midnight campaign, and personally speaking I feel they're better left as NPCs or villains, but many groups play them just fine according to posts on this forum. I'm trying to cram a bunch of advice into a quick response, but hope it helps. Feel free to follow up with any questions you might come up with. I'd also recommend getting some of the Conan stories by creator Robert E. Howard. There are many printings to choose from right now; and someone even posted "The Tower of the Elephant" on the internet.

Galastro said:
Thanks guys! I appreciate a lot. I have all the books you mension above. All I need now is timeto read! :D
Yeah, I need that time myself! :lol: Well, good luck getting started.

Back