Solomon Kane - Legend Style

I say reinterpret them to the point where they're not recognizable as vanilla/Tolkienesque/D&D-esque anymore. Creepy faerie-like.

Anyway, a Hammer Horror/Solomon Kane-style game would be absolutely great. I've seen people in various RPG forums express an interest in a "Hammer Horror" RPG so I think there's actually a reasonably substantial audience for it.

Elves are easy - you simply draw upon the darker medieval legends and you get something that Guillermo del Toro might dream up. For dwarves, you probably want to look at the Brothers Grimm and figures such as Andvari from Old Norse mythology who forge cursed items....

If you want an idea of what elves should be like, then read Terry Pratchett's "Lords and Ladies". Elves from folklore can be mischievous, playful, impish characters, they can be allof, stern characters, many are child-stealing womanisers, at best, or multiple rapists at worst.

For Solomon Kane, I wouldn't have nice elves, they would be the nasty ones.

Elves = Faery Folk = Tuatha De Danaan.

Events in Ireland during this period have been skimmed at best for some reason. Around this timeframe, events were taking place that would shape the history of 'The Three Kingdoms" until the present day.

The Plantations of the Counties of Down and Antrim by Scottish Presbyterians began in the default starting year for the SK campaign.

There could be stories to suit either side as innocents or villains. An Irish Chieftain who has lost his lands to the colonists turns to the old, pagan, beliefs of his ancestors and calls forth the Tuatha De Danaan to aid him in his regaining them. The price is steep and the Chieftain balks in the end leading to the possibility of dire consequences for both settlers and indigenous Irish.

If I would try to find suitable "elvish" races for Solomon Kane adventure, I would take Bran Mak Morn story Worms of the Earth as a starting point. It tells that in Britain there lived a race, older than Celts, which was banished and forced to live underground. In there the race has mutated into semi-reptilian monsters.

Then again Turlogh Dubh O'Brien story The Twilight of the Grey Gods has more traditional Danaan character. That character is maiden called Eevin who has fallen in love with a Celtic man Dunlang.

So, there are some alternatives from which you could choose. Personally I think that those semi-reptilian monsters would be more suitable to Solomon Kane setting, because their presence alone would be enough to force players to throw fear and sanity tests.

I'd personally stick close to the source material - Solomon Kane and Hammer Studios productions set in the black powder era - and not drag in stuff from all kinds of other vaguely related sources. And if you do, then including it in your setting should at least be optional. YMMV

3rik said:
I'd personally stick close to the source material - Solomon Kane and Hammer Studios productions set in the black powder era - and not drag in stuff from all kinds of other vaguely related sources. And if you do, then including it in your setting should at least be optional. YMMV

My suggestions are based only on the works of R. E. Howard. Howard's own writings suggest that his fantasy and historical stories happen in the same (albeit somewhat loose) continuity.

The approach depends very much on whether you are merely converting Solomon Kane stories or building a complete Gothic Legends setting. One restricts you to the kind of things that appear in the original source material (puritan adventurers vs supernatural evil) while the other has to cope with the wild combinations that players come up with...

Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
Many of the rules that you would need for this conversion may exist in Legend: Pirates.

Blackpowder weapons at least.
Without doubt. Check my original post :)

What are you proposing - a straight conversion of the Savage Worlds Solomon Kane book or a "Puritans of Legend" mini-sourcebook :)

Prime_Evil said:
What are you proposing - a straight conversion of the Savage Worlds Solomon Kane book or a "Puritans of Legend" mini-sourcebook :)
I'm thinking something along the lines of your suggestion Prime_Evil, a mix of Solomon Kane meets Hammer Horror.

I need to remove my digit & get the Stormhaven book done first though.

A conversion of the Solomon Kane RPG to Legend would be welcomed by many, I think, but I'd prefer for this gothic horror supplement to be more of a generic Hammer Horror-based book with appropriate artefacts, weaponry, equipment, creatures, locations and spells.

I've been working on expanded write-ups of the classic horror movie monsters (vampire, werewolf, mummy, etc) if you'd be interested in them for this project.

Prime_Evil said:
I've been working on expanded write-ups of the classic horror movie monsters (vampire, werewolf, mummy, etc) if you'd be interested in them for this project.
If that's the case why don't you and Darren collaborate? I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

The Wolf said:
Actually, the 3 of us collaborating on our own Legend book would be pretty damn amazing!

Sounds like the beginnings of a plan - I'll brush off my notes and start polishing them up a bit :)

Back