Slithering shadow obviously a top inspiration!

I was just reading "the Slithering Shadow" today and within two pages I saw on the page "pantherish twist", "Cats parry", "Desperate Stab" and "Devastating Sweep". The quotes in the book for CP and DS and PT are all from this story.

Interesting to see so many of the combat manouvres come from just one short story!

Cheers

Plane Sailing said:
I was just reading "the Slithering Shadow" today and within two pages I saw on the page "pantherish twist", "Cats parry", "Desperate Stab" and "Devastating Sweep". The quotes in the book for CP and DS and PT are all from this story.

Interesting to see so many of the combat manouvres come from just one short story!

Cheers

Looking forward to that story now, I'm re-reading all the REH stuff in the Fantasy Masterworks' collection.

TTFN,

Yokiboy

The story was originally entitled XUTHAL OF THE DUSK but was renamed by Weird Tales' editor, Farnsworth Wright. (thanks Vince!)

You can find it by its original title in The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian.

And you're right, I was struck by the same thing when I read it (just last week in fact). It's fun to run across those gems when reading Howard's works now!

It's no surprise that Farnsworth Wright messed about with the title , he did nothing but interfere with Lovecraft's stuff as well , to the extent that HPL gave up submitting to Weird Tales and some stories only saw print because his friends submitted them without his knowledge . Having said that , without WT , who knows how much good stuff we'd have missed ?

Back