Slaine worth a look or not.

BigSteveUK

Mongoose
I know you guys are a tad biased, but I wondered what your opinion is on slaine. I love the comic and from what I have read on here sounds like it captures the genre. I play Judge Dredd and think it has been done well.

My group plays a lot of fantasy stuff, including dnd 3e, and I just wondered if it was individual enough to warrant a purchase. Also how does it compare to Conan or is it totally different and not comparable?
And finally I get the idea that Mongoose have stopped releasing new stuff, is there more than enough stuff out to happily run a campaign?

Slaine is definately a good game to get, and is definately a refreshing apparoach to 3rd ed, and celtic myths...

i cant really say much more though, as i dont actually play the game, my groups dont like celtic/viking games, even though i love them, and tend to buy as many different kinds as i can..lol

This game is amazing and well I have to say I find it better than the DnD setting. It has some very original ideas and concepts as far as magic and the story ideas are many and you can do pretty much anything with it.

Although yes,there are no new supplements that seem to be coming out at this time, what is out is very useful and I would encourage you to atleast get the main book and the Tir Nan Og book as it has lots of back ground info on the tribes and lands of Slaine.

Then if you want more get the Tribe books as they have indepth info and prestige classes and give some adventure hooks as well to get ya started. I haven't played Conan and not really interested since I have Slaine. Don't get me wrong I love Conan but just don't have the money to shell out for every core book.

And since I'm a Huge lover of the Celtic Mythology and of Celtic lore in general and of the Slaine comic I opted for it. So not so much being biased as giving you an honest run down on the source books and the game in general.

Ultimatley it comes down to you picking up the book and giving it an honest read and hyping it up to your players and get them to play it. If they like then invest more money into it. I just pick up games and rpgs if they appeal to me regardless if my players want to play it becasue at some point they will HAVE to play it anyways. :D

Hope this helps? And if you have any other questions just ask the three of us on here Meself,Prophet and Tooth some new blood for the world of Celtic heroes is always welcomed and wanted and needed.

Slainte Mhath!

The campaign books are a great resource as well (even if you do not run the major campaigns inside) there is still alot of useful info. Hope to here a response there Stevo.

I own both the Slaine and Conan RPGs (as well as JD). If you are a fan of Slaine comics then I can only encourage you to take a look at the RPG as well. I think it captures the feel of the comics very well like Conan. The only beef I have is that in Slaine you still have the AC based on your armor (and that kinda sucks because armor is so scarce in Slaine) instead of just reducing the damage that it does in Conan.

One other thing to consider is that Slaine uses a barter system for "buying" new stuff and much of the wealth is in the form of chickens, cows and slaves as coins are kind of heavy in the land of the young. But I am sure that it won't be a problem and can be quite refreshening.

So yes, it is definitely worth a look if you like Slaine comics and JD RPG.

SnowDog

In most cases though you don't need to use armor since I always see the AC of a character as their natural toughness and who needs armor? Besides the armor will only give minor protection anyways. Against a resolute warrior, armor is but the shell in which the meaty bits are held until released by a very very very very very Large AXE!! :twisted:

MMMMMMMMMM...Pulpy!!! :D

Daithi O'an tSionnaigh said:
In most cases though you don't need to use armor since I always see the AC of a character as their natural toughness and who needs armor? Besides the armor will only give minor protection anyways. Against a resolute warrior, armor is but the shell in which the meaty bits are held until released by a very very very very very Large AXE!! :twisted:

very well put... the one game i ran, i had to talk people out of covering up with large amounts of armor... the guy who ended up doing the dwarf was going to run a noble warrior, and wanted a suit of full plate mail...

Yeah armor is really pointless in the World of Slaine,slows ya down and makes yer brain ball "easy prey,easy Meat!" So even leather of some kind I see as much more a visual thing and a "look/style" than that of real protection.

Besides if it is your time The Earth Goddess will let ya know.. :wink:

Daithai, your regular change of avatar makes a real chameleon out of you! You're pretty hard to follow... :lol: 8) :wink:
I'm not nudging at you, just teasing...

Actually it is not on purpose...and I do apologize for it but many a costumes makes for a grand performance.... :lol:

If that means anything. But seriously I alway seem to muck up my avatar in some frame or fashion merely by accident so hopefully it won't happen again. Sorry for the mix up and the2 times I changed it..... :p

Thank you for your helpful and interesting response, I used to pick up loads of RP systems, but I am a bit pickier about what I buy now. I only buy stuff I know I am going to play, I already have so many games I have never used, but can’t sell on, so as to save a little space and cut down on the moaning of my GF, I like to see what people who have played it think.

No armour and no platinum pieces, I think my players will burn me at the stake for sacrilege.

Sounds pretty good, I feel an investment coming on.

if you need resources look too the web with many links on this board :twisted: but used slaine as a filler before conan and cannot get them off it now they love the game and cannot think that that is a better recomenodasion :lol:

Actually it is not on purpose...and I do apologize for it but many a costumes makes for a grand performance.... :lol:

If that means anything. But seriously I alway seem to muck up my avatar in some frame or fashion merely by accident so hopefully it won't happen again. Sorry for the mix up and the2 times I changed it..... :p
Ho, I wasn't complaining or accusing or nothing. And you're right, "many costumes makes for a grand performance..." :D

Cheers ! and thanks for the info on Slaine; might as well pick it up someday, before it gets hard to find...

Well I hope more can join the Legions of Slaine on here and get this game going again. A great setting and well a great game overall. It maybe D20 but it definately delivers and I love it. And hopefully we helped ya here. I go through the same thing walls and walls of Gaming books and some I haven't played in years or ones I bought books for but haven't actually sat down to read them until now. I have become more of a collector of games more so as of late.

However hoping to get my new Slaine game underway and then some other gaming as well this summer. Usually during the Fall and Winter months we are able to play more but we shall see. :lol:

If you wear armour all the other Tuatha de Dannan will point and call you a coward, milksop or mommas boy etc... Especially the Sessair (who are known for showing off how soft a blow is by expanding the wound).

hassanisabbah said:
If you wear armour all the other Tuatha de Dannan will point and call you a coward, milksop or mommas boy etc... Especially the Sessair (who are known for showing off how soft a blow is by expanding the wound).
Expand the wound <imagine a sickening flesh tearing sound> :shock: OMG ! <Faint> :roll:

<Finally wakes up> Sorry to be such a wimp sometimes, but I can't help myself. :mrgreen:

Back