Skill Points Clarification

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the help on Defence...

Now my next question...

I know who to calculate SP for the classes BUT I see a line on page 80 that calculates BONUS skill points.

This idea is new to me a d20 vet, and I don't see it mentioned anywhere else. Is this an oversight or am I missing something else?

Thanks

Bonus skill points are those gained from a high intelligence.

Ok..

I probably did not state myself clear enough so here goes...

I am making a soldier with a 16 INT.

Skill Points from class are (2+3)*4 = 20 to be spent on class skills on a 1:1 basis and on a 1 : 1/2 for cross class skills.

Then there is the formula on pg 80 that states that there is BONUS skill points and the example given is 4*INT bonus = 12. These points can be spent on any skill on a 1:1 basis.

This is mentioned NO where else. Am I missing something, or is that how skill points are derived. If this is clarified somewhere else please let me know where.

Thanks for the quick response though and I am fascinated with the mechanics so far.

Hi Ronin

If you read the second paragraph of the skills chapter it should become clearer.

In essence, in Conan your class-derived skill points are restricted to your class skills. Skillpoints gained for a high intelligence can be spent on any skill without penalty (treating all skills as class skills for those points).

Hope that makes it clearer.

MongoosePaul said:
Hi Ronin

If you read the second paragraph of the skills chapter it should become clearer.

In essence, in Conan your class-derived skill points are restricted to your class skills. Skillpoints gained for a high intelligence can be spent on any skill without penalty (treating all skills as class skills for those points).

Ah! Cool. This takes care of the prestidigitation magic style's skill requirements.

-B

Mongoose thanks!

The introduction of Bonus skill points will be welcomed by almost all of my group. Great idea!!

Love the background skills to...

Now I just have to go and replace my Conan books that I sold OH sooooo long ago.

MongoosePaul said:
Hi Ronin

Wow, that's a really good idea / advancement over D&D (unless that's in 3.5?) - it's good to have a general pool to tap from...

never would have thought of it myself. from a GM's standpoint, checking on a properly consructed character is going to be harder though, especially with players who don't feel like writing everything down.

still, novel, new and a good way to push Int a little higher then previously valued by players.

MongoosePaul said:

Does this mean that characters can use skill points from their Int bonus to buy cross-class skills above their cross-class maximums?

Does this mean that characters can use skill points from their Int bonus to buy cross-class skills above their cross-class maximums?

yes because that's what Conan does in the example. Gather info is neither a class skill for barbarian or a racial class skill for cimmerian. So he has exceded to cross class skill rule by using his int bonus points.

This can become confusing at higher levels remembering this for future distribution of points. The character sheet should have a seperate column for recording these bonus int points in the skill calculations...

Gorden the Pict said:

yes because that's what Conan does in the example. Gather info is neither a class skill for barbarian or a racial class skill for cimmerian. So he has exceded to cross class skill rule by using his int bonus points.

This can become confusing at higher levels remembering this for future distribution of points. The character sheet should have a seperate column for recording these bonus int points in the skill calculations...

Agreed about possibly becoming confusing at higher levels. What I am doing, and plan to continue doing, is to ignore that rule and just let it work like standard D&D. No harm, no foul.

That may cause you some problems considering examples like the sorcery spell conjuring that requires 4 ranks in sleight of hand. Hard for a scholar to achieve without using the bonus int system. Future suppliments may have similar prerequisites - we just don't know. Up to you but i wouldn't be too hasty about not using this new rule until you've tried it. It just needs to be recorded somehow...

What I am doing, and plan to continue doing, is to ignore that rule and just let it work like standard D&D. No harm, no foul.

MongoosePaul said:
Hi Ronin

Oh! Now I get it. It's a departure from d20 that I approve of, but never noticed until now. I was in such a rush to get my campaign started, I'm afraid certain finer points of your non-standard d20 rules were completely lost on me in my initial readings. This is very helpful news, indeed! :D

Now, we just need Mongoose to confirm whether the remark in the Skills table on p.80 about gaining bonus ranks for free each level is correct or a holdover from the playtest version.

Iron_Chef said:
MongoosePaul said:
Hi Ronin

Oh! Now I get it.

This makes a high Intelligence score much more important to everyone!!!

Back