Signs & Portents Articles

chinger_spy

Mongoose
Hi, quick question...

Are the Conan S&P articles going to be collected in a PDF or print book in the future? I'd like to get my hands on the material but as I don't really play any other Mongoose games (despite owning a few!) I can't justify buying half a dozen magazines for one article each.

Chinger

I have written this VERY SAME post a few times in the distant past. (This is not a hint that you should be researching, it's an emphasis of your point) I did not get a firm response, only a luke warm one that hinted they *might* someday do a collection.

Mongoose has created some very good games. What they don't seem to get is that they are VERY different games. Try as some very knowledgable people have, I do not want to read anything about most of their other products...they just don't interest me. I don't want to read them to pull good ideas from them. I just don't like B5 or some of the other products.

I LOVE the conan material though. I'm sure it's quality is reflected in the other game systems, but I beg and implore Mongoose to do the summarized PDF. I won't buy Signs & Portents in it's current form...I will buy this summary.

For my 2 cents in this argument, I'd say that if you play RPGs, S&P is worthwhile. The trouble with it is the divergent nature of each of the supported games (as was mentioned) as well as the minis games (just wait until Starship Troopers).

Sutek, I really doubt I would get much from it apart from the Conan material TBH. I priced up the issues I was interested in and it was gonna cost about £25! just for a few pages worth of info. What general RPG information is there inside? is a fair amount dedicated to Mongoose adverts, etc? I don't blame them of course, they are a business plying their products :)

I can see it being even less useful as a whole to me once the mini games get going as you point out. Its probably going to turn into a White Dwarf type publication.

Shame theres no official word on the subject seeing as its been brought up before.

What I meant was that if you playa broad range of games, it's useful. If you just play one, it's mostly a waste for you.

Frankly, I'd think Mongoose could save a bundle by not printing it and simply putting up a link here on the site. Perhaps they feel obligated to have a "support mag" for thier lines, but really, I'd think it was more economical to just have articles for download here.

Oooo I try to play a broad range of games, just not Mongoose ones :) I own Ancients and Cybernet but have not played them - kinda bought as an ooooo an OGL version of a setting I'm personally interested in, rather than one I can get players for :)

Yes, cutting the mag and sticking up web content instead would be a good way to go, even if it was like $3 a month to subscribe to the site. At least those not in America could get it cheaply i.e. not have to pay upped postage rates (must be economics that their store is US based) They would also save a fortune on printing and would be able to release a constant flow of material as and when it was finished that month.

What about putting up each of the articles as a PDF you can buy via the website , then we'd have the choice of buying the mag or just the articles wanted. Id prefer this as I find S&P hard to find ( no decent games shops near me ) .
I'd happily pay £ 1 - £ 1.50 for just the Conan stuff and it can only bring in more custom for Mongoose .

I don't buy Dungeon or Dragon anymore since my brother in law gets them and I just borrow what I want. Besides, I got like 3 yrs of both from past subscriptions in boxes unused in ages...prefer to make my own adventures......haven't bought any other gaming magazines in awhile. So I decided to start with S&P 6 when Conan came out and have been getting it ever since through my local game shop with my discount. Currently I got them pulling the Conan comic, S&P and any Conan RPG material for me. :)

Yes, I'm a fan and I do play D&D so I have made use of some of the other d20 stuff in the magazine, but I too don't care for Lone Wolf or Judge Dredd etc. Would prefer a Conan dedicated zine myself. Recently got one of the new Conan tshirts too that depict the cover art from the comic, very cool.

I'm sure eventually Mongoose will release either just the Conan articles bound together, or all of the S&P issues as individual PDFs.

However, they won't release the PDFs within six months of the issues hitting the shelves. Doing so would hurt print sales, which defeats the real purpose of S&P - improving Mongoose's visibility in game shops. S&P isn't printed just to make money, it also supports and advertises Mongoose's other products. Many customers (consciously?) prefer to buy rulebooks which they know have support material, and S&P articles help games reach that critical mass. PDFs, on the other hand, only reach hardcore, dedicated fans.

(Mongoose doesn't going to ignore its hardcore fans either, as shown by the two Conan adventures already released as PDFs.)

That's IMHO, of couse. I'm not affiliated with Mongoose nor any other game company. Much guesswork was applied.

also signs supports slaine which can be used to add flavour too conan as well as lots of non-system bits that get ideas flowing 8) on the PDF point this service existed for a while as part of the sons downloads you got the bits they put in the mag as well as other things.but signs is in some ways even important too the systems which are not getting new lines than say conan and if you are not going too buy the mag that is your right but you are missing out on the fun

Example of "the fun" please. Stuff that has related to Conan aside from obvious links with Slaine and other Mongoose settings (which at the moment I have no compulsion to buy) If there is enough to warrant the purchase I would be happily surprised.

One of the longest threads asking this question was started by Raphael a while ago: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/forum.php

On those occasions when a Conan release does appear in Signs & Portents, it's usually 1-3 pages, although there have been a couple longer articles. 1 page is common. They have also to date only done 2 issues where they came up with a big list o' names for some races (Cimmerian, Aquilonian for example). So book wouldn't be as likely in my guess, I think we're looking at about 85 pages of material or thereabouts. I haven't bought the last few issues, got tired of paying the money, so it could be more, but not by much. For some reason the other games the the vast majority of coverage in this magazine, issue to issue.

MadDog said:
Since Signs and Portents #9 is long out of print, can anyone post the Hyperborean Witchman PRC ?

Mad Dog

just whent into the main mongoose site and they seem to be still selling their so you could always buy it :D

MadDog said:
Since Signs and Portents #9 is long out of print, can anyone post the Hyperborean Witchman PRC ?

Mad Dog

This article was part of the Sons of Cimmeria program, which is still running AFAIK. There are some threads how to join (email to someone at Mongoose Hall).
You get a few goodies like Acheron race and short scenarios.

There is a "NA" next to the price which I assume means it is out of stock. Anyone confirm ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

Back