Should the Orestes-class Systerm Monitor be at Battle level?

the Orestes-class Systerm Monitor be at

• Battle level

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Raid level

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

alien027

Mongoose
Should the Orestes-class Systerm Monitor be at Battle level? Looking the stads of this ship, The Orestes with ships of other races, this ship should be in a Raid level and not in Battle level.

At Raid- level, it would be overpowered. It's well armed, very hard to kill, it just moves at about the same speed as the brick it resembles. That's not enough, to me, to support a radical downgrade like dropping a PL.
What I really want to see; by the original fleet book, the first of the class, EAS Halloway's maiden voyage was 2130. The earliest example of the Orestes is the EMW version, 2241-49, and is drastically different from the SFoS version. We need more older ships usable at the time of the Dilgar War, this one in particular.

I've never used it so I can't judge its performance. It looks tough, but I've seen how poorly slow ships do against the right enemy with my Novas.

Chern

The Orestes either needs a serious upgrade to make it Battle or a serious downgrade to make it into a Raid ship. Personally I'd vote for the downgrade as it's described in the fluff as being old. Sort of like the T'Loth in that it used to be top of the line but now it's getting on in years.

Chernobyl said:
I've never used it so I can't judge its performance. It looks tough, but I've seen how poorly slow ships do against the right enemy with my Novas.

Chern

I had two in one battle, they are really slow. But they do have one hell of a sting, I got round their low speed rating by slingshotting them towards the enemy (local gravity well) :)

It's one of those ships, like the Octurion, that looks very different depending on whether it's yours or not.
Deploying it, I've never felt it was worth it. It can't maneuver, acts like a ball and chain on the rest of your fleet, doing more damage to your own strategy than it's likely to to the enemy. I can see why there's a case to be made to reduce it.
From the enemy's point of view, it's a cast- iron b*tch to take down. It is just far too tough, and has too much damage potential with that double forward boresight.
By the time of the SFoS version, it has largely been superseded, though. The real use and value for it would be in it's earlier incarnations, fromthe turn of the century say, where it is effectively the largest EA warship of it's day. I'd love to see the 2130 and 2200 versions of it.

Slightly Norse John said:
It's one of those ships, like the Octurion, that looks very different depending on whether it's yours or not.
Deploying it, I've never felt it was worth it. It can't maneuver, acts like a ball and chain on the rest of your fleet, doing more damage to your own strategy than it's likely to to the enemy. I can see why there's a case to be made to reduce it.
From the enemy's point of view, it's a cast- iron b*tch to take down. It is just far too tough, and has too much damage potential with that double forward boresight.
By the time of the SFoS version, it has largely been superseded, though. The real use and value for it would be in it's earlier incarnations, fromthe turn of the century say, where it is effectively the largest EA warship of it's day. I'd love to see the 2130 and 2200 versions of it.

Sometimes there can be very good uses of slow ships though, for a start they tend to be able to loose off a couple of volleys before the enemy are truly able to engage. The are also uselful at sitting at the back, and picking off aft attacks.

The Saggy, maybe, but the Orestes isn't a standoff support ship. Hanging back and sniping isn't what it's for. The Omega can function that way, the Shadow Omega and Apollo are better used so, but for most of it's career the Orestes was a heavy main battle unit, front line not support.

I have used the Orestes in a ccouple of battles and it acqited itself well, even as a battle choice, in both. I some ways its slow speed is actually a positice when things get up close and personal. Faster ships have to swig out in wide arcs to turn. This can often allow another boresited shot if you can get 1 out of 2 CA Special actions in. Its side and particularly rear arcs are no slouches either.

Well, statistically speaking, the Orestes is better gunned and tougher than an Omega and still has some fighter support!

True that is to be balanced with its speed (or lack thereof) and limitations with boresight but it's not even close to not being a Battle level ship!!!

But what happend when you conpara the Orestes with other ships from other races? Raid ship have similar or better stads than the orestes. Remember than mongose want to sell this ship, and no one will use an Orestes if he could use an Omega. :wink:

If my pokey Wahant with it Slow-Loading Heavy Bolters (what were they THINKING?) is still Battle-level, then so is your Orestes.

Back