Ship Design Philosophy

Starwarships: Film Theory: The Empire's Biggest MISTAKE! (Star Wars)

Theorists, we have not covered Star Wars in a WHILE. With the release of the Obi-Wan mini-series on Disney+,I knew it was time. Today, I want to figure out why the Empire REALLY lost the war against the Jedi and Rebellion. No, it's not the other side having moral high ground and Disney always having the good guys win. It's their ships. They SUCK!

Pilots grow on trees.

Option might be a LIE Fighter, where the panels are horizontal like an aircraft, on transferred top and bottom, like a fish.

For Traveller, since you can't squeeze out more than one gee in any event, you could stick it in the back like a fin.

Starwarships: Why is the Cloud Car such a freak?

The Cloud Car is a freak. It's a weird vehicle, but not a bad one like the AT-PT. We'll take a look at this on today's Star Wars Legends lore video!

One diameter altitude, presumably.

Also, first thought would be breakaway hull.

Spaceships: Armament and Explaining Kinetic Weapons in Space Combat

Spacedock delves into the details and practicalities of kinetic weapons in space warfare.

Ah, extending the barrel with a magnetic bottle, or hydrogen plasma power transfer?

Starwarships: Rodger Young Type Corvette Transport | Starship Troopers

To the everlasting glory of the infantry, shines the name, shines the name of Rodger Young!

1. Form follows function, however reluctantly.

2. Going by the original, more a commando transport ship.

3. I think this is where you have a platform, where you switch out modules for various missions, which would resolve the issue the Navy would have with an overspecialized and expensive vessel.

4. Ultimate example would be the Conestoga class light assault carrier.

Inspiration: The Crazy WWII Catalina Flying Camper

In the 1950s, The Landseaire was the ultimate go-anywhere adventure machine. Based on a sturdy WWII-era PBY Catalina flying boat and fitted with beds, bathrooms, kitchens and even deployable boats, they were a long-range home in the sky like no other. But what happened? Where did they go and for one family, how did it all end so tragically?

Big thanks to Dave and his blog which uncovered so many of the details of this story: https://www.vintagewings.ca/stories/s...

Some great aerial photos of the plane now: https://www.esquireme.com/culture/532...

00:00 - Introduction
01:47 - Visiting a PBY Catalina
03:43 - Origins of the Consolidated PBY Catalina
04:34 - Design & War Service
05:57 - The Original Landseaire
09:12 - What Happened to the Original Landseaire?
10:01 - The Kenndals Landseaire
10:45 - Kenndals Round-The-World-Trip
11:42 - A Near-Death Escape
14:44 - Remains of the Kenndal Landseaire
15:31 - Where Are They Now?

1. Scout sized yacht.

2. Paranoid indigenous forces.

Starwarships: Star Trek: Inside the Klingon Bird of Prey.

The Bird-of-Prey was the classic Klingon starship. It is a fast and deadly scouting and raiding ship that has been at the heart of the Klingon Defense Force for centuries.

The first examples even pre-date Klingon spaceflight. Small fighters with the same basic layout have been in use since early planetary conflicts. That design has been modified over the centuries, first to incorporate impulse engines, then warp engines. Even fundamental changes to science have been incorporated into the same basic spaceframe. The Klingons have simply seen no need to change something that they believe is fundamentally correct.

By the late 2370s, the design of the Bird-of-Prey had been settled for over a century, but ships were produced at a variety of scales from vast K’vort-class battlecruisers to tiny scouting vessels. The archetypal version of the ship is the B’rel-class, a 139-meter long ship with seven decks and a crew of 36. The internal layout and even weaponry vary from ship to ship, but they are all capable of high warp speeds, and fitted with a cloaking device. To many Klingon minds, it was the perfect fighting vessel—as fast, tough and deadly as its crew.

1. Seems understaffed.

2. Configurable wings - outside of atmospheric flight, not to sure what we can do with that.

3. Detachable bridge/breakaway hull.

4. Document safe.

5. Laundry room.

6. No females.

7. So, who does the laundry?

8. Boarding ramp takes up volume.

51wU0wtdSML.jpg

The Galactic Empire disappeared a lifetime ago. Jake Stewart doesn't care, he needs to earn a living. He fled his station in the outer Belt, enrolled in the merchant academy, and snagged a scholarship. The future looks bright. But a crooked boss, some paperwork shenanigans, and a freeloading best friend put him in a bind. When he's accused of a murder he didn't commit he goes on the run from the Planetary Militia. There's only his wits and a suspiciously helpful pretty girl between him and jail. Can he trust her to prove his innocence? Or does she have another agenda?

Tired of books where everything that moves gets shot? How about a book where people use their brains? If you like strategy over tactics, and thought before action, The Adventures of a Jump Space accountant series is for you.

Starwarships: Star Trek: Inside the USS Discovery 1031

A detailed 3D look inside the USS Discovery 1031. Enjoy!

The USS Discovery was a 23rd-century Crossfield-class science vessel converted into a warship at the outbreak of the Federation-Klingon War.

After war broke out between the Federation and the Klingon Empire, the Discovery was tasked by Starfleet with a top-secret mission to develop a new kind of faster-than-light drive.

Upon re-establishing contact with the Federation and Starfleet in the 32nd century

Discovery was later refitted with 32nd-century technology at Federation Headquarters.

These included the integration of programmable matter into controls for improved performance and detached warp nacelles for improved maneuverability.

In addition, the reaction cube for the spore drive was also upgraded so that it no longer needed to physically attach to the navigator, with nanogel replacing the physical shunts. Following refitting, the Discovery was recommissioned with the registry number NCC-1031-A.

1. Mushroom drive.

2. Three ringed saucer hull, which seems more space station.

3. Adaptive hologrammic interface.

4. Programmable matter.

5. Detachable engines.

6. I suppose we could use tractor beams to achieve the same result.

Inspiration: Starship Mudskipper COMPLETE Season One

Written by Jack Townsend
Featuring the voices of Andrew Farrier, Matt Standley, Jack Townsend, Jeff Quach, Helen Jaksch, Erica Durr, Matthew Morris, Helene Schmehl, High Priest Robi, Killian Guilbeaux, Eli Durr, and Mr. Creepypasta.

Episode 4 Lyrics and Musical Direction by Erica Durr.
Mudskipper Theme by Helen Jaksch.
With Creative Contributions by James Lanius.

Starship Mudskipper is a serial science fiction podcast from the creator of the creepypasta "Tales from the Gas Station." It is produced by The Snake's Paw podcast.

A fish-out-of-water story set in space somewhere in the cold, cruel, distant future.

In episode one, meet the starship's motley crew and see just how much can go wrong in a single day.

Love is in the air, and it might get everyone killed... or worse.

While the Mudskipper crew finally checks out the distress beacon they received two episodes ago, Barry casually (and not at all desperately) tries to find a date to the Love Day dance.

It all comes to this...

The remaining crew of the Starship Mudskipper find themselves stranded in space with nothing but each other's company, a few cycle's worth of air, and a small army of deadly arachnimorphs trying to get through the door of their panic room to feast on their delicious faces.

This truly is... the end*.

Starwarships: Armaments and Can We Throw Satellites to Space? - SpinLaunch

Credits:
Writer/Narrator: Brian McManus
Editor: Dylan Hennessy
Animator: Mike Ridolfi
Animator: Eli Prenten
Sound: Graham Haerther
Henry Ariza - Camera Operator and Color
Jamon Tolbert - Camera Operator
Gina Giorgi - Production Coordinator
Donovan Bullen - Music
Thumbnail: Simon Buckmaster

1. Mass driver spinal mount.

2. Or large intestine.

3. Double shot.

4. Carbon fibre composite hulls.

5. Terminal molecular pumps.

6. Copper heat sinks.

7. Aluminum corrugated hull.

Spaceships: Armaments and Explaining Kinetic Weapons in Space Combat

1. Pig getting poked.

2. Rear firing, assumes pursuit.

3. Chemical kinetic.

4. Combustion light gas.

5. Coil guns.

6. Quench guns.

7. Railguns, waste heat.

8. Counter act recoil.

9. Purple gas, hydrogen plasma, barrel extension.

A. Chemical electromagnetic.

B. Radiating heat.

Guess my age is catching up with me, since I thought the barrel extension sounded very familiar; probably was half distracted during the initial viewing, since I apparently I found the second one more enthralling.

I suppose I should pony up for the High Guard update, and really start concentrating on spacecraft, but I dislike copy editing, especially when I'm not paid to do it, and hoped to get the corrected version 2.5.2 first, so I don't have to view each paragraph with scepticism.

Spaceships: Armaments and Explaining Missile Weapons in Science Fiction

Spacedock delves into the details of guided missiles and torpedoes in sci-fi space warfare.

Drop missiles, then activate them once enough have been seeded.

If control is an issue, slice it off one of the missile bays.

Starwarships: Star Wars: Inside Mon Calamari Cruisers (Home One)

The vessel was Originally a deep space exploration ship constructed for Mon Calamari, the MC80A star cruiser home one has been modified for war against the empire. Thousands of viewports that once virtually covered the ship's exterior have been replaced with heavy armor plating. Hagars for small shuttles were expanded to carry squadrons of starfighters.

Mon Calamari engineers modified their vessels with a detachable section that can function as independent ships for attack or escape if necessary, giving the ship a unique ability, unlike the ISD. Despite this modification, Ackbar prefers to keep his command vessel parts united.

Various species from across the galaxy make up the rebel personnel on vessels, but due to the design of the ship's controls, the command crew is only made up of Mon Calamari, Holodisplay, and battle graphics are designed specifically for the Mon Calamari.

1. Supposedly organic aesthetic.

2. Breakaway hulls.

3, Is it easier to move in zero gravity by swimming in water?

Starwarships: Homeworld 3 | Gamescom Opening Night Live | Kesura Oasis Gameplay Trailer

Kesura Oasis fails to live up to its name after an ambush by Kalan Raiders. Learn how to outwit hit-and-run tactics and live to fight another day. Homeworld 3, the iconic, fully-3D RTS launches in the first half of 2023.

1. Missile frigates.

2. Out of visual range.

3. Bombers.

4. Assault frigates.

Starwarships: The Expanse: Ranking the Ships of the MCRN

Spacedock ranks the ship designs of the MCRN from #theexpanse

1. True, it does look boring.

2. I really like the Donnager; the Confederation Navy should have a Donnager class fast dreadnought.

3. It really does underscore the need to have parking for hundred tonne plus starships.

4. Incredibly clean, comparing to what the Belters came up with.

5. While I'm up for broadsiding the enemy, spinal mounts pretty much have to be pointed in the direction of the target.

6. Disguised hulls.

7. Conestoga and Scirocco type (light) assault ships, designed to transport and deliver Marine small strike forces.

8. Patrol destroyer, or colonial cruiser?

Back