Ship Combat Ranges

PeterFdH

Banded Mongoose
Can someone confirm that ship combat ranges for the various weapons are actually maximum ranges, i.e. you cannot fire further than them with that weapon? I ask as it doesn't say so explicitly in the Spacecraft Scale Weapons table on page 168 of the Core Update Rulebook. For ground combat you can exceed the ranges for each weapon with a penalty on the to hit roll but this is not the case for ship combat?

I have no issue if that's the case but after running my first ship combat encounter, our group wasn't sure. Thanks!!

For game purposes, they're maximum.

Range modifications is/are sensor based, rather than multiples of stated weapon system(s) stated range.

In some cases, the weapon itself can get a range boost if produced a few tech levels higher than normal. IIRC it maxes out at very long range though...so 50000KM is pretty much maximum range, until you get a large particle beam bay, which I think is the only distant range weapon.

1. That's an upgrade, and it has a cap.

2. Beyond running out of fuel, can't recall if there's a range limitation for missiles and torpedoes.

3. In theory, energy can dissipate after a certain distance; in practice, a fifty tonne slug going near light speed should keep going until it hits something.

3. In theory, energy can dissipate after a certain distance; in practice, a fifty tonne slug going near light speed should keep going until it hits something.
"This, recruits, is a 20-kilo ferrous slug. Feel the weight!
Every five seconds, the main gun of an Everest-class Dreadnought accelerates one to 1.3 percent of light speed. It impacts with the force of a 38-kiloton bomb.
That is three times the yield of the city buster dropped on Hiroshima back on Earth. That means: Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son-of-a-bitch in space! (...)
I dare to assume you ignorant jackasses know that space is empty! Once you fire this hunk of metal, it keeps going 'till it hits something!
That can be a ship, or the planet behind that ship. It might go off into deep space and hit somebody else in ten thousand years.
If you pull the trigger on this, you are ruining someone's day, somewhere and sometime!"

Back