Shadizar : Review

BullBear said:
In the past when a pc's made a pass at a wench, I just tell him his work paid off and he had an 'enjoyable' evening. Not too flavorful, but I don't feel the need to act out flirting or what not.

How do ya'll handle it?

I think that the way you've described handling it above is just fine. Most people don't play RPGs to hone their skills with the opposite sex. If they are really pushing for you, as GM, to indepthly describe what's going on in these situations, there may be an immaturity issue with that particular PC.

Reptile

For the bizarre habits of Shadizar you can give some info without revealing anything and the PCs would only try and imagine (for example: the PCs see a naked wench dancing with a serpent (boa) on the shoulder).

Sex aside, this makes me remember of the excellent DragonLance series with a special module DL5 (dragons of mystery) on the stories and romances of the PC. You can even read the books to give you appropriate hints to play and developp a romance because it can be a wondeful game session and you can even build some scenarios on it.

Just think of the first Conan movie with Valeria (that Conan meets in Shadizar) or even the story with Belit.

Hehe of course you will not have to describe sex scenes but in Shadizar all types of sex are allowed:) as it says it is normal to have sex with a person of the same sex, or with animals and things like that... Well Shadizar is famous for its corruption... So the characters may take a place a big orgy where some guys will flirt them :shock: . The player characters (specialy those who doesn't know much about conan stories) will have to learn about Zamora and how the things are going :)

King,

From Dusk 'til Dawn is the movie by Quentin Tarantino starring Himself, Salma Hayek, George Clooney and Harvey Kietel. Salma Hayek is extremely hot in this movie at least until she changes into a vampire.

The Carpenter movie is just called John Carpenter's Vampires.

Both are excellent movies. :D

Hmmm, deviant sex eh? I agree that PCs wanting in depth descriptions may well have "issues", quite possibly above and beyond immaturity. Over quite a few years of GMing I've seldom had to deal with these issues despite creating some sleazy encounters in Victorian CoC Limehouse and Whitechapel. I'd say, in keeping with the heroic feel of Howard, many PCs, perhaps especially ruffty-tuffty barbarian types would sneer at the decadence of city life; the GM only needs to hint, perhaps with the names of districts, roads, establishments or the purveyors of various services as to the nature of those services.
I guess, if you've got the "Dusk 'til Dawn" soundtrack, you could always play your PCs the snatch (no pun intended, well maybe) of Cheech shouting out what's on offer inside the bar, then again, perhaps not...

Masterporg said:
King,

From Dusk 'til Dawn is the movie by Quentin Tarantino starring Himself, Salma Hayek, George Clooney and Harvey Kietel. Salma Hayek is extremely hot in this movie at least until she changes into a vampire.

The Carpenter movie is just called John Carpenter's Vampires.

Both are excellent movies. :D
I saw Carpenter's but could't recall the title. I love Carpenter's films because there is always some dark humor and have a feel that goes beyond B-movie or grand classical.
Tarantino is great sometimes I feel this is not a movie because he goes into great length to show every single detail.

Hey, can someone give a sneak peek of the Proffesional class and the Kezankian hillman? Can't wait to get the book!

Voltumna said:
Hey, can someone give a sneak peek of the Proffesional class and the Kezankian hillman? Can't wait to get the book!

The Professional is a PrC with "sub-classes". First time anyone has created such a PrC AFAIK. You basically choose one of the sub-classes and get the abilities for that sub-class over the 10 levels. Each sub-class offers its own unique abilities. You can see a list of the classes earlier in this thread. It looks awesome!

The Kezankian Hillman is a new race. They're very sneaky and favoured as Barbarians.

How many people living in the Upper Midwestern USA have found this book? How many people in WI?

I've looked at all of the game shops in my area (Madison/Milwaukee) and haven't seen Shadizar yet. Just curious if it's gotten up here yet. Most of the game shope employees say they don't have a record of it coming in yet, either.

Strange.

Reptilejk,

As the status of the set had been changed from "Pre-order" to "add to cart" and Cimmerian has a copy I assumed it was now available. I e-mailed Mongoose's sales department to get an idea of when my order would ship and they replied that the set would not arrive at their warehouse until later this month and would ship when it arrived. :cry:

I don't understand why they would change the status of a product from "Pre-order" when it is not available :?:

And how did Cimmerian get his hands on a copy :?:

Maybe someone at Mongoose can shed some light on this. Is the product available or is it still at the "Pre-order" stage? Can they narrow down the later this month a bit?

It isn't due out to retail until around the middle of this month (give or take a week depending on location). Anyone who has a copy most likely has it direct from Mongoose, or from someone else who got it direct from Mongoose :)

Masterporg said:
Matt,

Thanks for the reply.

When we pre-order are we not getting it direct from Mongoose?

Sorry, I was writing that as a reply to Reptile when you got your post in before mine - my fault for not quoting who I was replying to :)

Yes, the preorders (and any other orders from the website) come direct from Mongoose, so I'd guess if you had yours preordered you should be getting it soon.

I'd also take an educated guess on it depending on location and all kinds of other random factors - like if you're in the UK I guess you might be lucky enough to receive one of the first proof copies the studio got through and not have to wait for the main warehouse stock to start shipping. In other words, you may just get lucky :)

Matt,

Thanks for the clarification. I live in Sonoma CA (wine country) which many people would consider lucky but in this case I suppose I will be one of the last to receive my set. The US postal serice is nothing compared to the good old Royal Mail.

Yes I'm a Brit ex-pat.

Masterporg said:
I live in Sonoma CA (wine country) which many people would consider lucky but in this case I suppose I will be one of the last to receive my set.

I think Mongoose usually have everything shipped direct to the US Warehouse from the printers (possibly after seeing proof copies in the UK), and distribute from there - you certainly ought to see it before it gets into the stores at the very least, and probably before a lot of people in the UK get pre-orders.

I have this weird thing about trying to work out how stuff works behind the scenes, so it'd be great if you can post when you get it :)

mthomason said:
It isn't due out to retail until around the middle of this month (give or take a week depending on location). Anyone who has a copy most likely has it direct from Mongoose, or from someone else who got it direct from Mongoose :)

Thanks, Matt!
Looking forward to it.

Reptile

Masterporg said:
And how did Cimmerian get his hands on a copy :?:...

As the book is printed in China, perhaps he did raid the printing company there (or the shipping boat).
What else could you expect from a Cimmerian? :wink:

Back