Shadizar : Review

mthomason said:
Masterporg said:
I live in Sonoma CA (wine country) which many people would consider lucky but in this case I suppose I will be one of the last to receive my set.
I think Mongoose usually have everything shipped direct to the US Warehouse from the printers (possibly after seeing proof copies in the UK), and distribute from there - you certainly ought to see it before it gets into the stores at the very least, and probably before a lot of people in the UK get pre-orders.

I have this weird thing about trying to work out how stuff works behind the scenes, so it'd be great if you can post when you get it :
)

Matt,

My copy arrived on Tuesday 25th. I can't read too much as I will be playing in this and not running it, but it does look great.

Thanks for letting me know :)

The store copies from the distributor came in yesterday. I'm *impressed*. There's something "old school" about that box, reminiscent of AD&D 2nd Ed Forgotten Realms, GW's old Judge Dredd game, FASA's Star Trek RPG... :)

While I agree with the comments about the wasted space in the box, from a warehousing point of view it's nice having everything of a standard size (ACtA, Conan Boxed Sets, and I'm guessing GoMC1 will come in that size too).

The box just kinda exuded an aura of... RPGness at me. Don't ask me to explain that, but it happened before I even set eyes on the contents. Inside.. wow. I just love extras like cards and counters... :D

So as usual, a store copy ends up in my own collection. *shakes fist at Mongoose for eating into his profits* :D

yes box sets to me speak of my youth too they were the things I would pester my parents for christmas handing them detailed information so no screw ups or saved my first wages for looking forward too the new gen of box sets 8)

Masterporg said:
King,

From Dusk 'til Dawn is the movie by Quentin Tarantino starring Himself, Salma Hayek, George Clooney and Harvey Kietel. Salma Hayek is extremely hot in this movie at least until she changes into a vampire.

The Carpenter movie is just called John Carpenter's Vampires.

Both are excellent movies. :D

Sorry, I just have to pipe in here. 'From Dusk til Dawn' was wrritten and directed by Robert Rodriguez and only starred Tarantino.

As for Vampire$, after reading the simply astounding novel, the movie was rather a disappointment. Seems that the funding for the film dropped out at the last minute. Carpenter and the several of the actors were rather upset about it. They had to drastically change the film to fit their budget. In the end, this film was a "could have been" film.

Just setting the record straight.

razuur

Razuur said:
...As for Vampire$, after reading the simply astounding novel, the movie was rather a disappointment. Seems that the funding for the film dropped out at the last minute. Carpenter and the several of the actors were rather upset about it. They had to drastically change the film to fit their budget. In the end, this film was a "could have been" film.
razuur
You are rude; I liked the Carpenter's one very much, especially the first sequence with the cleaning of the manor. :lol:

Masterporg said:
...From Dusk 'til Dawn is the movie by Quentin Tarantino starring Himself, Salma Hayek, George Clooney and Harvey Kietel. Salma Hayek is extremely hot in this movie at least until she changes into a vampire... :D
I saw the movie recently; excellent! First a film noir in the first half and then the funny part with the vampire eradication.

For the feeling I exactly thought of this scene with the snake, just with another more ancient-like music (flute and harp and drums).

Well King, that fist scene with them cleaning the mansion, and the massacre at the hotel were about the only scenes fromt he book that made it into the movie. If you are a reader and you liked the movie, the book is called Vampire$ and it is by John Steakley.

I am with you re Dusk il Dawn. Good stuff.

Razuur

I guess my Shadizar question is... Is it worth the money?

I love Conan, and I love Zamora, but I am having to be pickier about my RPG purchases now that I have bought a house.

I must say that I love #e's hardcover trend, and I am real lukewarm about the box set trend that seems to be rearing its head. It is a matter of personal preference of course. My two boxed set purchases so far have been Midnights Fury of Shadow and Green Ronin's Hamunaptra. Both of them were good products, but I would have preferred them as books myself.

While I have no doubt of Mongooses quality (they have proven themselves time and time again), after reading about the contents, I am wondering if this product will do it for me.

We are basically talking about the equivalent of a 157 page book, some cards, and some counters, right?

I don't use counters or minatures, so that leaves the books themselves.

How do they compare to say Thunder River, which I found to be simply outstanding and totally worth my money. Are the books color? Is there a map included.

Any information would be appreciated.

Razuur

Razuur,

I have then an advice: you buy the Shadizar boxed set, you scan what you need and sell it on ebay, so the loss isn't too great if you decide to sell it. :wink:

Hell, why don't you just make a .PDF of all the Conan books from Mongoose, sell the books on Ebay, then upload the PDFs on Kazaa or other P2P networks, for others to download. All for the price of your monthly internet connection.

In fact, I've already seen Mongoose's Conan as a .pdf on a few P2P networks.

Ok, which one of you is kidding, and which one deserves some serious ass-whoopin' for supporting piracy? :twisted:

Zeus said:
Ok, which one of you is kidding, and which one deserves some serious ass-whoopin' for supporting piracy? :twisted:

Where in my previous post, did I state I support piracy? What I posted was reality. It has already happened. I've seen the conan pdf on the interweb.

Alas, it was merely the original, not the Atlantean version.

I personally would not do that to Mongoose. I was merely curious what Conan books were available.

By the way, how do you realize a pdf file from a scan? I'am quite a newbie with scanner and bought one only recently. For the moment, I can only create jpg files.

Zeus said:
Scanning of copying for oneself is legal if you own the book. You also have the right to sell it. No piracy, just private transaction.
How then could we find all those collector items on ebay?

The right to sell a book and keep the copy sounds... wrong. It's easy to abuse it, especially for those, who can copy stuff for free (lots of people can do this at work). I've always thought that you can keep the copy as long as you own the original.

Zeus said:
The right to sell a book and keep the copy sounds... wrong.

Wow, thats an interesting one, and I have to admit I never even thought of it.

With computer software its easy - you purchased a license, and when you sell the original you no longer own a license to use any copies you made.
The whole "rights to make a copy" of a book you own is still a very grey area (and even worse when you take international laws into account). One interpretation is that you can take one backup copy of anything you own. Another is that you can't do that if you hold it in a different format to the original. Then the whole licensing thing comes into play again - with a license you can restrict tightly what the end user is allowed to do... and books don't come with a license agreement.

However it certainly feels wrong that someone could get around copyright by just reselling the original, whatever the law may allow. Then again, if a copyright raid were to occur, said individual may have a hard job proving they owned an original if they cant produce it ;)

I'm not a copyright lawyer.
I'm also very glad of that fact... even this much is making my head hurt :shock:

Back