Shadizar Boxed Set Map?

If the book is in color or black/white is not really interesting.

A solution for the map is more interesting for me. Then it`s all ok for me.

Just a quick word, everybody. Keep this civilised or I'll close it down. Anybody not prepared to accept us at our word is free to state their opinions, but play nice. When I have news for you about the new map I will pass it on. Right now it's being sorted out. For any of you thinking we were the only people being duped, a certain thread on the RPG Net forums might be of interest...

Wow.

I mean, wow!

If those posts can be taken at face value (hey, its the internet, you can't necessarily trust anything) then the artist has clearly lost it completely.

And by "it", I think I am refering not just to his mind, but also to talent, integrity, and any chance of future employent.

VincentDarlage said:
Just out of curiosity, why is colour so important? The original AD&D books were black and white, and I consider them quality writings. I very much enjoyed Fantasy Flight Games' Legends & Lairs materials, and they were also black & white. Atlas Games' Nyambe only had a dozen or so pages in colour, yet is also a high quality book in my mind. I am not sure where equating quality with colour printing comes from. Why is colour so important to you, Bladerunner?

Just as an FYI (and I really didn't have much of a problem with the B/W) but I rarely buy source books that aren't color. I hate how they look. If I'm gonna spend my money - color and pretty pictures matter almost as much as content.

Mongoose Old Bear said:
Just a quick word, everybody. Keep this civilised or I'll close it down. Anybody not prepared to accept us at our word is free to state their opinions, but play nice. When I have news for you about the new map I will pass it on. Right now it's being sorted out. For any of you thinking we were the only people being duped, a certain thread on the RPG Net forums might be of interest...

thanks for the word old bear look forward to the map when it is done

Anonymous said:
"Latest mistake?" From a guy who can't spell Shadizar? Gimme a break. Oh, I forgot, the people who post here are human and thus allowed to err but Mongooses are from the planet Perfect where everything is just right. Listen up. They got screwed by an artist. They said sorry. they are commissioning a new map which presumably they will have to pay for. That's 'making it right'. What you are angling for is a quick something for nothing.

If you are so clever that you couldn't be ripped off by a criminal I suggest you offer your services to the police, who are no doubt desperate for that sort of talent. The rest of us with half a brain will sit and wait for Mongoose to get a new map done and get on with our gaming without spouting forth on a subject about which we know nothing more than what we perceive to be correct.

Geez, I guess you're right. I had one too may zs in my spelling of Shadizar, so I guess I have to accept your advice and "get on with my gaming" without "spouting forth on a subject about which I know nothing more than what I perceive to be correct." Whatever that tortured sentence means. While we're offering advice: try to keep it down a little and use your indoor voice when arguing your points on this forum.

toothill man said:
Mongoose Old Bear said:

thanks for the word old bear look forward to the map when it is done
Ditto.

LBH
(Off to find a quiet corner to let this blow over)

VincentDarlage said:
Just out of curiosity, why is colour so important? The original AD&D books were black and white, and I consider them quality writings.

It depends. I like color in some games, but it doesn't matter in other.

F.e. one game that sorely missed color is the Warcraft RPG (soon World of Warcraft RPG in the 2:nd edition). At least thats my opinion. And they did use full color on the Everquest RPG, so I was a bit baffled on why WC didn't get it. Don't know if WoW RPG is getting full color though.

Another game that has excellent art, which is really nice in b/w is Fireborn. At first I though I was going to miss full color, as the game has a few color pages in the intropart. But I really like it in b/w.

As for Conan... well, I color is nice, but I could do without it.

As for the boxed set, sadly they don't get high marks from me. The source material is great, but I would have prefered a hard or softback. I'm not interested in battlemaps and counters. It is possible to include a bigger map in a book too (ok it adds price). Sadly that left me feeling that Shadizar was the worst supplement for Conan so far. Not due to the writing, but I don't like what I got in the box except for the main book.

Not that it's terribly important, but if we get a new poster map - a physical one - might it possibly have the battle maps printed on the back?

The maps are okay as is, but the stable maps aren't even the right scale. The horse are 15' feet long or heaven's sake.

This sort of thing displays either:
(A) a misunderstanding aboout the purpose of the battle maps,
(B) an ignorance of the intended scale,
or most likely (C) lack of communication between the artist and editor.

- usdmw -

usdmw said:
The maps are okay as is, but the stable maps aren't even the right scale. The horse are 15' feet long or heaven's sake.
- usdmw -

I dunno, horses seem pretty big to me. What're the average dimensions of the average horse?

Are the canals printed in blue?
:lol:

/just kidding! Those definitely make the product more tempting.

Guys,

I thought some of you might like to know that I have commissioned Ed Bourelle to rework the Shadizar map. He will be beginning later this month.

I am finally buying a copy of Shadizar tomorrow! (my local shop has only just managed to get a copy).

I do not blame Mongoose for this whole map thing occurring, and I will certainly exchange the map when they make the new one available. (although part of me would like to hang on to the original as a curiosity piece, I could possibly use it as another lost city etc.).

How are Mongoose going to publisize the exchange scheme, I do not want to miss it?

Mongoose Old Bear said:
Guys,

I thought some of you might like to know that I have commissioned Ed Bourelle to rework the Shadizar map. He will be beginning later this month.

Woohoo! Ed's the man! He drew the map of the City State of the Invincible Overlord! Great choice!

Mongoose Old Bear said:
Guys, I thought some of you might like to know that I have commissioned Ed Bourelle to rework the Shadizar map. He will be beginning later this month.

I am extremely gratified to hear this! He does FANTASTIC work!

Excellent News! I look forward to seeing the final piece. Does this mean we can let the Shadizar Map threads finally die out? :roll:

Back