Shadizar Boxed Set Map?

Cool, I haven't been to the Farmington convention in years, just a wee bit too far for an ingrained pedestrian to walk. There were some really nice folks there. The last year I went there was a guy who was A.) selling photocopies of D&D books, and B.) took a bunch of orders for books, then never filled the orders. This would be around 1989 or so I think.

Tom Kane ran some great games at that con.

The Auld Grump, so, where 'bouts in Maine?

I recall Games Workshop had similar 'problem' in their rule book many years a go

A map for a 'typical farmstead' was actualy identical to a Homestead in D&D's Known World in Module B/X1- Anyone remember :?:

ZamorianBlade said:
I recall Games Workshop had similar 'problem' in their rule book many years a go

A map for a 'typical farmstead' was actualy identical to a Homestead in D&D's Known World in Module B/X1- Anyone remember :?:

X1 was Isle of Dread so I'm guessing B1 (unless you mean a module actually called B/X1 in which case I don't have it). Which GW book was it? :)

mthomason said:
ZamorianBlade said:

X1 was Isle of Dread so I'm guessing B1 (unless you mean a module actually called B/X1 in which case I don't have it). Which GW book was it? :)

This sounds like the module B10, Night's Dark Terror, a module which starts in a homestead in Karameikos I believe, and which was produced by TSR's UK team, which explains how the map might have showed up in a GW product.

i to enjoyed tom's games.if you haven't heard he's teaching in england at hull university.and by the way,doc argen still runs the old top secret game up there to.

Back to the original Problem.

When could we hear more about a new map.

I also have a question: what will be called the new boxed set to make the difference between the latest and the older version? The Khemri edition? :wink:

Man, I soooo need my new map. My Shadizar campaign isn't suffering because of it but it would be greatly enhanced. I'm *that* close to mocking something up of my own in Dundjinni. Trying to resist so my player and I don't have to use a 3rd version of the city.

Any news about when its going to be released?

I played the first session of the adventure written for Shadizar and the huge canals in the center made it logistically difficult to run the adventure as loose as it needed to be. Even without the map having a previous history, it doesn't work for Shadizar...

Arkobla Conn said:
I played the first session of the adventure written for Shadizar and the huge canals in the center made it logistically difficult to run the adventure as loose as it needed to be. Even without the map having a previous history, it doesn't work for Shadizar...

I am one of the players in this session, I found the map in its current condition to be a distraction to the session. I would rather not use the map. Besides without the map it enhances the idea that most of our group is new to the city and have no idea where we are.

Moreover map-making is quite a "new" art. Most people can't read or write during the Hyborian Age so they shouldn't be able to read or make map.
However this accessory is important for the DM (to locate thing or to determine the time needed to travel from one point to another) and is always a good sight for the player to help them "feel" the city.

I don't know that it is that important. I rarely use city maps. I can enjoy a Sherlock Holmes story without a map of London. I can enjoy Lovecraft without a map of Dunwich or Arkham. I can enjoy H. Potter books without a map of the school. I didn't need a map when I wrote the material - I just put the city in my mind, mentally put myself there, and wrote. The Games Master can just describe the transition between one location toward another as needed. Howard put many stories in cities and towns and I doubt he made a map of any of them.

Anonymous said:
Yes but I pay for a box with a correct map ;)

I am not arguing or debating that point. I was debating the line, "However this accessory is important for the DM (to locate thing or to determine the time needed to travel from one point to another)."

It becomes necessary for the me to have a good idea of the city layout when I have a player wishing to run through the streets of Shadizar in nowt but a loincloth whilst several of the towns watch are in hot pursuit!

I paid for the box with a map and although I have now run your adventure Vincent my player tends to wander the city of his own free will (and I let him) unfortunately having a map of the city is easier than not having one at that point.

My player and I have decided to leave Zamora behind in a trail of dust now as things got a little too hot at the end of your adventure. One of the deciding factors was also having no reliable city layout (outside of what we made up on the fly, or pieced together from the texts.

Maybe Conan will return to Shadizar when things calm down, I hope by then a map is avaliable.

Conan now heads for Turan and probably a mercenary camp. I'm gonna try to make up for the Shadizar nightmare with some good info from the Free Companies book. Fingers crossed! Please tell me nothings planned for Turan in the near future. I'd prefer to make up my own Canon from the information presented so far and what I can gleen from my collection of novels.

That said with a few changes that happened due to in game events the adventure whilst pretty sick was enjoyable for me and my player Vincent.

VincentDarlage said:
I don't know that it is that important. I rarely use city maps. I can enjoy a Sherlock Holmes story without a map of London. I can enjoy Lovecraft without a map of Dunwich or Arkham. I can enjoy H. Potter books without a map of the school. I didn't need a map when I wrote the material - I just put the city in my mind, mentally put myself there, and wrote. The Games Master can just describe the transition between one location toward another as needed. Howard put many stories in cities and towns and I doubt he made a map of any of them.
This is true, but Role playing games have make us dependant on maps :wink: (I think of these superb art works that TSR did back in the 90's).
A city map, as the map of the hyborian continent, is a visual aid and in that way I find it important. You can locate where are the districs of the city (poor, merchant, rich, nobles, royal palace, temples, cimetary if any) and this is also a reminder. If your players later come back to the city and they have a good memory, it is better to be able to determine where is what.
No need for a precice or even exact map, but beautiful art is always welcome, isn't it?

As an example of what I mean: if you remember some years ago, there was an rpg called Earthdawn, a fantasy setting with Lovecraftian-like creatures. I didn't need any pictures of these and didn't think it would be possible to sketch them. Then the "Horrors" sourcebook came out with drawings from Nick Smith. They were stunning and even the colours were applied at their best. It was the first time I saw an impossibility: a picture of something that could not be depicted and it was impressive.
There were also some interior (colour) art but here is the link of the cover art: http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=showbook&bookid=389.
I am sure even Howard would have appreciated.

chinger_spy said:
That said, with a few changes that happened due to in-game events, the adventure, whilst pretty sick, was enjoyable for me and my player, Vincent.

Thank you! I am pleased you enjoyed it! :D

the King said:
No need for a precice or even exact map, but beautiful art is always welcome, isn't it?

Right. I wasn't saying a map was useless, just not 100% necessary. I have been running campaigns in cities since 1981 and rarely had a map to go by. Of course, it is a help and always welcome, but not necessary. It is, to me, just icing on the cake.

VincentDarlage said:
the King said:

Right. I wasn't saying a map was useless, just not 100% necessary. I have been running campaigns in cities since 1981 and rarely had a map to go by. Of course, it is a help and always welcome, but not necessary. It is, to me, just icing on the cake.
I just told that a map was important to a GM and important doesn't mean necessary (how I love word wars 8) ).
It is just as miniatures for combat. You don't need them but it's quite useful to know where PCs and opponents are.
To me, and to stay in a culinary way, it is more ice cream with warm cake.
Like hot volcano lava flowing into the sea...

"I DO love maps" (Bilbo Baggins)

I share Bilbo's sentiment and desperately want to use them when I have them. For the Conan campaign, I've gone through extra steps to use accessories...minitures mostly, but other ancillary things as well. Also, to be fair to Mongoose, I wanted to use the Shadizar map to 'prove' out whether it fit or not given the scenario. The scenario is fun....but the events in the first session were hampered by the canals.

Back