Setting up for 'Secrets of the Ancients'

I'm about to start running Secrets of the Ancients in the next few weeks. My Wednesday group is coming out of what feels like a decade of Feng Shei run by another referee so I want to impress them with shiny stuff.

I have the MGT rulebook and the PDF of SotA, and the Spinward Marches book is on its way to me. I did a little research on the boards before posting this, and the Spinward Marches book seemed to be the only solid suggestion.

However time has passed, opinions change, books are published, so today, do I need anything else from Mongoose or classic Traveller?

Can anyone recommend any scenarios that could act an intro (or two or three) to SotA?

Are there any assembled handouts and/or maps for SotA out there to download on the intarweb?

Are there any blogs/write-ups/etc about running SotA?

Any advice you have about reffing or playing SotA will be gratefully received here as well.

Thanks in advance.

Several of the chapters in SotA are widely (and wildly) free-wheeling. Your Feng Shui experiences may come in handy more than you think, and fixed maps less so.

That said, any post-modern or futuristic game can provide map fodder for the game, as can modern architectural drawings, house plans, etc. Within Traveller, the Apocrypha CDs from FFE have a lot of the old 3rd party stuff, including FASA's Hotel Complex. If you can land a copy of Judges Guild's "Doom of the Singing Star" it has a big tail-sitter ship in it with shopping mall levels, residences, etc, all fit for getting tactical in odd looking locations.

Online sources of floor plans for geodesic dome buildings can be useful. Also look for movie set concept sketches for franchises like Star Wars.

The same online store Mongoose uses (RPGNow) has a lot of stuff under the search term "2D map".

Back