Session 1 - BinB- Shadizar - Bordello's and Blood

Arkobla Conn

Mongoose
Notes: This is the continueing adventures of Hadrathus the Bossonian Archer, Raz the Cimmerian, Lady Maja the Noble Nomad from Hyrkania, Ajonga from the Southern Ilses, Belyara from Zamora and Abaddon of Shem. At this time, our hero's are 9th level. Each of them has levels in at least three classes, as we have tried to add levels where appropriate. (IE, when on the water, they each took a level of pirate.) Also, I've begun to think of this group as 'Brothers in Blood', hence the BinB in the subject line.

This is session one of the Shadizar adventure authured by Vincent Darlage and included in the Shadizar boxed set. Some changes to the adventure are required because of the groups level and they tend to throw proverbial wrenches into the machinary. Apologies to Vincent for taking any liberties which do not convey the intent of the adventure :)

SPOILER ALERT - IF YOU INTEND ON PLAYING IN THE SHADIZAR ADVENTURE PRINTED IN THE BOX SET...PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE READING!

Note 2 - I haven't made note of my use of props in my commentary, but I have been usign miniatures and other devices where appropriate. For the Anch. Mes. campaign I bought Egyptian style miniatures and used the Worm from the McFarlane figures to represent the 'Purple God'. For this campaign, I used pictures of the Bordello's ladies printed in minature from the artists located at the Savage Website of Conan. My compliments and thanks to the artists. It definately helped with the feel of the scenario.

The second post will contain the prose of the session. Apologies for it's length, but a lot was accomplished in our 3 hour session...

It was a long trip from South Western Koth to Shadizar in Zamora. Many called the trip unnecessary and without purpose as well. Their destination was the great country of Aquilonia and this was a trip weeks out of the way and in the wrong direction. Still, Belyara insisted on returning to his city to speak with 'friends' and to complete some family duties. It had been along time since he left and there were duties he must attend.

Arriving at the Gate of the Black Throne, the group was struck with the decadence of the city. Even this gate, the one used every day by caravaneers and visitors, was decrepit and dirty. Camel dung littered the approach to the gate and human kind was sprawled everywhere outside. The poorest of merchants tried to hawk their wares here, but found little profit as most distrusted them outside the gates. A quick glance by the city gaurd seemed more than their norm, and the group was through.

Moving down the street, they turned left into a courtyard. There, next to the well in the center of the area, was a small raised platform, upon which gyrated two women. Dressed in transluscent silks of blue and green, they twirled and shook in front of the crowd, teasing with their eyes and bodies. Finally, they came together in a kiss, tearing apart only when the cat calls and whistles became thunderous. As Belyara moved to lead the group out of the courtyard, one of the women raised her voice.

"We have a winner!" she yelled and the crowd cheered. She pointed toward Ajonga, the tall black Southern Islander. She beckoned him forward with an index finger curling in a come hither motion. He smiled and ignored the jibes of his companions. She turned him around to face the crowd, draped her arms around his neck from the dais, and kissed his cheek. "You have won token for a free hour at Ninochka's Bordello for you and your companions!" From between her scantily covered breasts, she produced five tokens which were distributed to the five men in the company. "What about my Lady friend there?" asked Ajonga and the women on the dais laughed. "By all means!" they said, and produced a sixth token for Lady Maja who mearly smiled and accepted the token without comment.

Moving on, Belyara led the group to the craftsmen district. There, they found the Frog and the Whistle - a dingy Inn, but open and with space available. Negotiating a price, the group realized that they were very low on coin and needed to consider some way to procure more. Belyara had lifted two light purses, but wasn't sure it would be steady enough to cover the entire group. After excusing himself for a while, he left to conduct his business in town, promising to meet the others at the Bordello in an hour.

Meeting his friends at the prescribed hour, Belyara was happy his business in town was complete and felt the urge to celebrate. When the group entered the Bordello and presented their tokens, the ladies began to come into the open area and present themselves. They were dressed in all manners, and some were even completely undressed. Silkes, leathers, lace and skin enhanced the beauty of Brunettes, Blondes, Redheads and Raven locked women. A few other patrons drank in the common area and the groans and giggles of pleasure came from the quicky rooms nearby.

One woman, the bartender named Tamara, took their tokens and bid them make their selection. In addition, she pointed out that there was a small price to pay, as evidenced by small print on the reverse of the tokens. All must buy a drink a the bar. This caused some suspicion with the group, with Raz being the most put out about the entire proceding. As the others disappeared up the stairs with drinks and one or more ladies at hand, he left the Bordello in a huff. He was surprised that even the Lady Maja had solicited a woman and disappeared upstairs as well.

For Lady Maja, she had been intriqued by the power of the seductive dancing in the courtyard and again by one of the ladies in the common area. This woman, Darina, also danced with a seductive enhancement that Lady Maja wanted to learn. Her hour was spent watching, and then performing the dance of the six veils.

Abaddon, Ajonga and Hadrathus each paired off with women and disappeared into rooms on the second floor. Abaddon and Hadrathus enjoyed their hour of honest debauchery in a manner familiar to men and women all round the world. Ajonga asked for and recieved a back rub and found that the lady he was with, Vilena, liked to listen to and tell tales. Belyara paid additional money and brought to bed four women. What happened within the walls of that cell will not be told hereupon.

Meanwhile, below, Raz was pacing the street outside the Bordello. He had moved off a bit and was sitting in the shadows when he saw ten armed men who appeared to be city gaurds mustering nearby. When one pointed at the Bordello, his natural instincts to distrust most situations kicked in and he made his way to the door of the Bordello. Pushing past some drunk patrons, he went right for the stairs within and moved to climb them when he was stoppped by one of the Kushite Eunichs who acted as a bouncer. 'No one ascends without a lady and a drink, friend'. The Cimmerian, hearing the commotion outside as the gaurds moved closer, didn't wait to negotiate. Once clear roundhouse was enough to send the Eunich sprawling and he wasup the stairs seconds later.

'We got Trouble!' he bellowed as he arrived on the second floor. Hadrathus poked his head out, sinching his belt and completing getting dressed even as his friend came up the stairs. "What goes on?" he asked.

"Ten men muster outside. They look like Gaurds. We need to go, NOW!" Down the hall, Lady Maja had come out, holding transluscent piles of scarves and veils over her naked form. "Get Dressed - Hurry!" Raz ordered.

Suddenly, the door burst open and the soldiers mounted the stairs. Raz jumped to the top of the stairs and met them as they came to the top in pairs. Soon thereafter, Hadrathus joined him at the staircase and they began the bloody work of hewing through hardened men who wielded cold steel with some degree of skill. Ajonga appeared next to provide attacks from above with his war spear and finally Abaddon was able to help a bit from the banister. Behind them, Lady Maja had appeared dressed and ready to help, but Belyara could still be heard in his debauchery induced pleasure.

How does one discribe the carnage on the stairs? The might of the sword and axe and spear falling, thrusting, cutting, slicing is awesome and frightening. Blood and gore splattered the walls as the Cimmerian and Bossonian attacked them from the front and the South Islander and the Shemite attecked from above. Bone and Sinew broke and were split as the hall took on the appearance of a slaughter house. These men could not stand against them. Even so, several cuts were administered and their blood mingled in with the blood of their foes.

Only seconds seemed to pass and the fighting was over. Eight bodies lay dead or dying on the staircase while blood and entrails oozed down the steps and wall. "Two ran for help" someone remarked and the group finally was able to get to the door below and out into the night. By this time, even Belyara was done with his pleasures.

Little need be said of their flight, save that they spent long minutes running down alleys and streets. At some points, they were cut off by more gaurds, at others the canal hampered their flight. Finally, Belyara led them through a maz of alleys and into a safe house, only to find that Ajonga and Raz were no longer with them. Somehow, they had been seperated...

End Session 1

It was so much fun to play through... especially since Lady Maja seemed to shock the entire group by 'picking' a woman for that free hour. LOL..muhahahaha. Gotta keep the men on their toes!

Unfortunately, she could not participate in the bloody battle on the stairs for she was too busy trying to find which room Belyara was in. I think she went temporairy blind after peeking inside to find him. *snicker*

I cannot wait until next session!!!

heheh, Yea, I forgot to mention that didn't I Maja? :)

And yes, I used the map as is. It made the chase seem too short, as there was no easy way to cross them...while being pursued...without being seen...the town around them seems too small.

Gory and hot.
In another thread someone talked about "Dusk 'till dawn" as a source of inspiration for Shadizar. It suits very well with your session indeed.
I had already heard about this dance but it was with seven veils. I don't object with one less though.

Great writing Arkobla! Great description of our deadly encounter! We are going to get a reputation as we cannot enter a town or city without knocking some heads together or off their shoulders completely.

Lady Maja said:
It was so much fun to play through... especially since Lady Maja seemed to shock the entire group by 'picking' a woman for that free hour. LOL..muhahahaha. Gotta keep the men on their toes!

Unfortunately, she could not participate in the bloody battle on the stairs for she was too busy trying to find which room Belyara was in. I think she went temporairy blind after peeking inside to find him. *snicker*

I cannot wait until next session!!!

Ajonga was not shocked since he was the one who requested the extra token.
"These white men can fight .... but they can not dance." BTW - South Islanders know how to dance. :wink:

Well I tried to use my coin on Maja! Would not even have had to leave the Frog & Whistle! So her using the token on a woman is fitting, as its the only conceivable reason for not accepting Hadrathas' offer!

Though there are rumors of a Liason between Maja and Raz! If true, I must have not have had my 2nd cup of coffee yet, as I cannot remember this occurring, and I am sure I would have watched! :shock:

Arkobla: You forgot the part where Hadrathas made the other Guard wet himself and return to his seat!

Hadrathas said:
Though there are rumors of a Liason between Maja and Raz! If true, I must have not have had my 2nd cup of coffee yet, as I cannot remember this occurring, and I am sure I would have watched! :shock:

So this why only 6 of the 7 veils were removed. She was saving the last veil for Raz.

LOL.. yes that was so kind of Ajonga to request an extra token for Maja. :p Besides, it was fun to imagine the character's faces as she went into a private room with another woman.

Hadrathas, Maja is a Lady... one little tin token would not be enough to pay for her favors. Tisk.. tisk.. didn't he learn that by now?!

Liason with Raz? *blinks* who said that? I don't believe it was ever suggested in role playing. ;)

6 veils.. 7 veils? The old Hollywood movies had Solme and the Dance of the Seven Veils... so whats 1 less? Humm? Just less clothing. Muhahaha.

Hadrathas, Maja is a Lady... one little tin token would not be enough to pay for her favors. Tisk.. tisk.. didn't he learn that by now?!

A tin token? I pay homage to your beauty with every breath! Is that not payment enough?

Yes, Maja did perform the Dance of 7 Veils, she left left the 7th on her person for modesty sake..strangely it covered her face! :shock:

Arkobla Conn said:
Apologies to the forum...my players are going out of control... :)

No need for apologies. There's nothing a GM likes better than to see enthusiatic players chomping at the bit for the next session. Congratulations on what is obviously a great campaign. :)

GregLynch said:
Arkobla Conn said:
Apologies to the forum...my players are going out of control... :)

No need for apologies. There's nothing a GM likes better than to see enthusiatic players chomping at the bit for the next session. Congratulations on what is obviously a great campaign. :)

Aye, it is...Thanks GregLynch...

Back