Serenity/firefly RPG?

katadder

Mongoose
How about an RPG set in this universe? seems like it has so much potential to explore, especially on the RPG front.

katadder said:
How about an RPG set in this universe? seems like it has so much potential to explore, especially on the RPG front.

There already is one - it came out last year from Margaret Weis Productions. I had a flick through a copy a while ago - plenty of art but didn't get much chance to get an idea of the quality of the rules. It looked like there was plenty of setting material in there though - it looked like it was a good representation of the Serenity universe.

Chobbly

Chobbly said:
katadder said:

There already is one - it came out last year from Margaret Weis Productions. I had a flick through a copy a while ago - plenty of art but didn't get much chance to get an idea of the quality of the rules. It looked like there was plenty of setting material in there though - it looked like it was a good representation of the Serenity universe.

The rules system is funky, but I think it works quite well (though not actually played it I might add). Basically lots of different sized dice, rolled in combinations to hit target numbers (stats and skills are listed as dice, not numbers...).

Works really nicely. Very simple and quick so you won't be spending the whole night looking up all the rules the first few times you play. Great for newbies too. Our game is going so much better than a Traveller version of the world we tried last year.

I have the game and it is quite cool. I know a few people who are using the Spycraft 2.0 system to play it, but I like the system as it stands.

LBH

I just love that series and the movie (bought both). I tried to play using Wild West RPG (FGU) rules, but incorporating advanced technology wasn't working too well. Wouldn't mind trying out the Official Serenity RPG.

actualy thee are two different RPGS. two different companies, one company has Firefly the other has Serentiy.... and i cant rembmer who had what.. lol

CARTMAG said:
actualy thee are two different RPGS. two different companies, one company has Firefly the other has Serentiy.... and i cant rembmer who had what.. lol
AFAIK there is only one, and that's the Serenity RPG from Margret Weis, licensed from the movie.
There is no *official* RPG based on the TV show. Eden Studios published an article on how to play a Firefly-ish game in their magazine, but it's not officially licensed.
And there's various homebrew versions. (My group was using the 2300 AD system, frex.) Some can be found on the 'net.

Turloigh said:
CARTMAG said:
AFAIK there is only one, and that's the Serenity RPG from Margret Weis, licensed from the movie.
There is no *official* RPG based on the TV show. Eden Studios published an article on how to play a Firefly-ish game in their magazine, but it's not officially licensed.
And there's various homebrew versions. (My group was using the 2300 AD system, frex.) Some can be found on the 'net.

From reading the FAQ on the Serenity RPG site, I picked up that Firefly and Serenity are two seperate licences as far as RPGs go. MWP got the Serenity one, to my knowledge there is no official Firefly RPG.

LBH

Too bad I have no resources, would love to get a Firefly license. I can only imagine some sort of western RPG would give the game better flavor, but as I said before, hard to add advanced technology. May have to start from scratch.

lastbesthope said:
From reading the FAQ on the Serenity RPG site, I picked up that Firefly and Serenity are two seperate licences as far as RPGs go. MWP got the Serenity one, to my knowledge there is no official Firefly RPG.

Though I wouldn't be too concerned about that - everything you need is in the Serenity RPG. Fox own the rights to the Firefly show, but not to the setting which is Joss Whedon's, so consequently there are many references in the RPG to all the good stuff, though no supporting pictures from the series - just stuff from Serenity.

Yes, Frobi, i should have made that point, there are numerous references to what we see in Firefly in the Serenity RPG.

It really is a Firefly RPG in all but name.

LBH

Yeah, Serenity is the name of the ship (a Firefly freighter class) and also the place of the last battle for the rebels. The movie ties up the loose ends, and reveals where the Reavers come from. Nice that all the original cast members were able to do the movie.

Too bad you can't split hairs with the names. :D Still, the western flavor of the series, and the fact there are no aliens, keeps it within the realm of possiblity. Scenarios can be a simple as pulling out stories from any western. Will make the game easier to play.

lastbesthope said:
Was Serenity Valley actually the last battle, or just the crushing defeat that was the beginning of the end?

LBH
At least one episode ("Bushwacked") indicates it was the latter; the commander of the Alliance cruiser says as much.

It's never clearly stated it was the former, IIRC.

Just watched the first three episodes tonight from the DVD. Right after Sgt. Mal shot down the Alliance ship with the AA gun, he found out that the leaders of the Independence had surrendered, and the last order was for them to put down their arms. The final scene of the battle was Malcolm watching the Alliance ships shooting up the helpless Independence troops on the ground, and the soldier beside him is shot also.

I never really though of it as a western, much more Han Solo the early years - very much Space Opera. Though when I think western I think Spagetti, Clint etc...

I think it uses element of the western genre mind, but in the same way Buffy uses horror elements without really fitting into the genre.

I have the Serenity RPG and to be honest thought its worth it only for the information, the system seemed a bit to flaky.

Personally I think the old WEG Star Wars system would be the way to go (or Traveller which allows for the marked difference in technologys between worlds). In fact the more I think about it, the more I wish it was actually the Star Wars prequals

Back