Selecting a background skill twice

Foehammer

Mongoose
First, hello to all! This is my first post here.

Got the new RQ book yesterday and after a quick read-through a few questions popped into my head. I'll start with this one (as I can't remember the others at the moment - I'm at work, pretending to work). When choosing background skills, can you choose the same skill twice from those skill lists (where it says e.g. "choose four") and get a double skill increase? I didn't see anything actually forbidding it, but I only skimmed the rules yesterday, so I might have missed it.

Foehammer said:
First, hello to all! This is my first post here.

Got the new RQ book yesterday and after a quick read-through a few questions popped into my head. I'll start with this one (as I can't remember the others at the moment - I'm at work, pretending to work). When choosing background skills, can you choose the same skill twice from those skill lists (where it says e.g. "choose four") and get a double skill increase? I didn't see anything actually forbidding it, but I only skimmed the rules yesterday, so I might have missed it.

The rules don't specifically say you can't but they don't say you can. I do not plan on allowing it. It has been already pointed out weapon starting values can reach 91 using the rules (80 being more common). Being able to add another 15% over that would be too over the top.

Foehammer said:
When choosing background skills, can you choose the same skill twice from those skill lists (where it says e.g. "choose four") and get a double skill increase?

I'd say no. It tells you to choose four skills, so you get to choose four. If you choose 3 skills you're not following the instructions.

Simon Hibbs

simonh said:
I'd say no. It tells you to choose four skills, so you get to choose four. If you choose 3 skills you're not following the instructions.
Hear, hear! What's more if you look at Wizard profession you can see that when a skill can be selected twice it is explicitly stated (and see also Witch, Shaman, Scholar).

I agree with Simon,

The rules say "pick two or prick three" specifically to ensure that players don't just dump 30% into 1H sword or some such.

Otherwise we'd see soldiers with a starting weapon at around 101% (Base 21+10% for background+10% for a second background pick+10% for soldier, +10% for soldier again+10% for soldier a third time+30% from free skill points). Higher with a good STR and DEX.

Halfbat said:
simonh said:
Hear, hear! What's more if you look at Wizard profession you can see that when a skill can be selected twice it is explicitly stated (and see also Witch, Shaman, Scholar).

I'd say that pretty much settles it.

Back