Second Age Gloranthan Resources

Urox

Mongoose
Hey -- let's try and start a list of Second Age source material. I'll start it off with:

Rough Guide to Pavis City (Glorious Jewel of Second Age Glorantha)
Chaos Society Publication 2002 60 pages
Pavis City as it was in 894.

- Tales of the reaching moon #10 (with 1 or 2 scénarios about the god learners and their ruins)
- Tales of the reaching moon #19 and #20 (about Delecti, an exiled sorcerer of the EWF).

- The Fortunate Succession "Pre-finished Work"?

http://www.glorantha.com/products/3003.html

- The Kings of Seshnela on the Issaries website:

http://www.glorantha.com/greg/seshnelanKings3.html

- A brief history of the Second Age on the Issaries website:

http://www.glorantha.com/library/history/cot-history.html#second-age

- Peter Metcalfe's timelines:

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~BLUEMAGI/TimelineMetcalph.htm

(sorry about the many separate edits to this posting!)

As I'm catching up in my reading, I found that The Shadows of Pavis (the follow-up volue to the Pavis Guide from The Chaos Society) also has some (but not all) material for Second Age Pavis City.

Most notable are the City Magicians, as well as some hints at Pavis' Secret.

While it's not explicity revealed, it seems that the secret is two-fold, and based on Pavis' affinity for the Harmony rune.

The first aspect of harmony is the alliance of the ancient enemies Grower and Maker. This is exampled throught the friendship of Pavis (a half-aldryami) and Flintnail (Isidilian the Wise, the Dwarf of Dwarf Run), and enacted through a city where both elves and dwarves co-exist.

The second aspect hinted at is a harmony between the three forms of magic (spirit, rune and sorcery) as embodied in the worship of Pavis after his apothesis (this feels very Second Age/God Learner-like).

I would include the video game King of the dragon pass because there is an extensive explanation of the history of how the EWF was destroyed by the Dragons.

In fact I read many articles on both the Empire Wyrm Friends and the God's learners but I can't remember where.

RQ trollpak has probably the best description of Gloranthan history. Second Age is a bit spotty, though - it only mentions the Machine Wars and the sack of Lylket, and remains mysterious about the Blue Moon plot against the EWF.

The Fleet of Black Galleys employed by the Only Old One is difficult to place, temporally, but could be a nice shock for sailor campaigns.

The cult write-ups for Argan Argar and Annilla in Troll Gods cover some of this information.

jorganos said:
RQ trollpak has probably the best description of Gloranthan history. Second Age is a bit spotty, though - it only mentions the Machine Wars and the sack of Lylket, and remains mysterious about the Blue Moon plot against the EWF.

The Fleet of Black Galleys employed by the Only Old One is difficult to place, temporally, but could be a nice shock for sailor campaigns.

The cult write-ups for Argan Argar and Annilla in Troll Gods cover some of this information.
Crucible has a bit more. It's almost 6 pages of 2nd age history, with a pretty good timeline.

The only Blue Moon info is that it's a secretive troll cult that aided the dragonewts in the overnight destruction of EWF.

It gives a good writeup of the machine wars too, but is frustratingly vague on certain points. The whole Doctor Rock/Mr Raccoon thing is something I would have liked info on, as well as the Waltzing and Hunting Bands.

Info on the EWF is spread through a couple of publications:

RQ3 Genertela: Crucible of the Hero Wars (soon to be sort of re-released by Moon Design) has a few dates, a short founding history and some info on the demise in Glorantha Book.

King of Sartar has a travelogue dated to about 700 ST through Dragon Pass and a few hints on Ingolf Dragonfriend and the cult of Orlanth the Dragon. (And about as much material on the Machine Wars)

Pavis & Big Rubble has most of the RQ2 era wisdom on the EWF, supplemented by Griffin Mountain (which has a few hints).

Cult Compendium: Cults of Terror has a world history also telling about the EWF.

Wyrm's Footprints has similarly little about the Orlanthi during the EWF, but mentions another Imperial Age Orlanthi hero in the Storm Mountains.

Revealed Mythologies is strong on the God Learners but weak on the EWF. Still, the involvement of the Kralori dragon rulers is mentioned. Some more hints ended up in Arcane Lore.

Fortunate Succession describes the Pelorian struggle against the EWF, both the Carmanian and the Dara Happan portion.

Trollpak (either RQ2 or RQ3) tells about the trolls and the EWF. Cults of Prax tells about the EWF in Prax, and of course the founding of Pavis.

Thunder Rebels has some info on the EWF period, but most is treated as forgotten memories - much like East German Stasi histories...

Personally having revisited works on my shelf for 2nd age info (like King of Sartar which has been most profitable) I'm warming more and more to this 2nd age mythos: I read a great bit today about the EWF (or even better Wyrms Mind Collective!) about how Eurmal effectively created the EWF:

One day Eurmal found a new way to bretray his master [Orlanth]. He found a foolish man, and he split his tongue, the way that a bird's tonghue can be split to make it talk. And he also split the man's brain, and his heart. Tht way the man could understand dragon speech.
The man, whis is called Rostand the Speaker, enjoyed the effect. The dragonewts, which were always something to fear, spoke to him and he understood. He found his way to a dragon, and rather than being eaten, he learned a song from it!

And theres lots more in it than I recalled :)

jorganos said:
RQ3 Genertela: Crucible of the Hero Wars (soon to be sort of re-released by Moon Design)
It's been sort of re-released before. The HW Glorantha book was basically it, plus some more info. Also, you might be interested in hearing that drivethru are now in the process of releasing the entire HQ line (or at least good chunks of it) on PDF. HQ itself is already there. So we won't be short of readily accessible Gloranthan resources for the third age either!

Urox said:
This is exampled throught the friendship of Pavis (a half-aldryami) and Flintnail (Isidilian the Wise, the Dwarf of Dwarf Run

Doh! Flintnail and Isidilian are the same person? Seriously? Is that official? I never made that connection before.

SwordSage said:
Doh! Flintnail and Isidilian are the same person? Seriously? Is that official? I never made that connection before.
Probably not, but maybe. ;)

Cults of Prax says that Flintnail "may be" the Dwarf of Dwarf Run (who had not yet been named when that was written).

Ian Thomson's Pavis books take the line that they're different people, which to me makes more sense. Flintnail found his way to the Green Age, apotheisised, and became the God (essence, spirit, whatever) of his own cult, while Isidilian is still alive and well and living in Dragon Pass. Mind you, it's quite likely that Flintnail and Isidilian knew each other back in the Second Age, and shared similar religious and poltical views - although Flintnail took them further.

SwordSage said:
Urox said:
This is exampled throught the friendship of Pavis (a half-aldryami) and Flintnail (Isidilian the Wise, the Dwarf of Dwarf Run
Per Greg they were the same person as of ~1993 when RQAdventures 5 came out, but that may have changed for HW/HQ.

StephenT said:
SwordSage said:
Probably not, but maybe. ;)

Cults of Prax says that Flintnail "may be" the Dwarf of Dwarf Run (who had not yet been named when that was written).

I'm pretty sure it has been explicitly stated that Flintnail =/= Isidilian. Flintnail is a Rock Mostali, and Isidilian is a Copper Mostali, I think.

GbajiTheDeceiver said:
jorganos said:
RQ3 Genertela: Crucible of the Hero Wars (soon to be sort of re-released by Moon Design)
It's been sort of re-released before. The HW Glorantha book was basically it, plus some more info. Also, you might be interested in hearing that drivethru are now in the process of releasing the entire HQ line (or at least good chunks of it) on PDF. HQ itself is already there. So we won't be short of readily accessible Gloranthan resources for the third age either!

Apart from my personal misgivings about some of Peter Metcalfe's new ideas, the Intro to Glorantha missed almost all the gazetteer info present in Genertela Box (and Missing Lands), so I regard it as a different product.

Adept said:
I'm pretty sure it has been explicitly stated that Flintnail =/= Isidilian. Flintnail is a Rock Mostali, and Isidilian is a Copper Mostali, I think.

Isidilian is a quicksilver (alchemist caste) ancient mostali (not a dwarf, aka clay mostali). Flintnail oversaw all the dwarven work and could be of any caste. Could be a dwarf or a true mostali.

At continuum '06 last weekend I picked up a 54 page document entitles The Middle Sea Empire and unifinished work that goes into soem details of the God Learners and was produced to give the Mongoose writers a heads up on a difficult subject.

I'm sure copies were left and should be available soon from the publishers http://www.tradetalk.de - I'm enjoying it but not finished it yet :)

Back