[Sceaptune Games] Hyperlite:The Sirius Treaty released

Halfbat

Mongoose
Sceaptune Games is really pleased to announce the release of the full, UNE Edition of Hyperlite: The Sirius Treaty on PDF.
80463.jpg

Based on the MGT SRD, this extends the much-loved 2d6 Traveller into a different future history - early 24th century Earth and it's colonies.

Space is big, but it's history is even longer. Even after Earth developed a faster-thank-light drive (Foldspace transition), it only found four other, colonising, starfaring species. But it also found the remnants and artefacts of the Precursors - starfaring species going way back in time.

Of course, such artefacts are sometimes simple, and sometimes stunning in their complexity. This led to a range of low-key conflicts on backward planets that sapped the resources of the starfaring species. A peace treaty was signed, the Sirius Treaty, and a monitoring force was constructed: the Invigilators.

But the invigilators got out of control. Now they rigidly enforce the treaty's tenets, especially as regards first- or primitive- contact protocols. Now, whenever a backward society is found, the UNE's Sirius Treaty Special Forces (UNEST-SF) must ONLY carry equivalent technology. So the augmented, jacked-up, chipped-up legionnaires of the UNEST-SF must go into hostile lands armed with swords and spears. Oh, and shields, of course.

But there have been problems re-engineering the ancient technology and reproducing the manufactuing techniques. "We're so sorry, Mr Invigilator, but the cotton plants have been contaminated by our GM'd crops. We _know_ the tunics are waterproof. And windproof. Oh, and tear-resistant. But, but... it's still cotton..."

Hyperlite: The Sirius Treaty: A new future, a renewal of history.

Available on PDF at Drive Thru RPG. More details and downloads available at Sceaptune Games. Paperback available soon!

Thanks. We've had great feedback from those who've played the demo scenarios (which we add to the site as soon as they're in a usable format).

The cool thing for me is I see this tying in nicely with the Wilderlands Fantasy setting since it has back history of having space faring races visiting them in the past, and having some major world wide conflicts over them as well, so should tie in nicely with this idea.

Treebore said:
[...] I see this tying in nicely with the Wilderlands Fantasy setting since it has back history of having space faring races visiting them in the past, and having some major world wide conflicts over them as well, so should tie in nicely with this idea.
Interesting variation and tie-in.

------------

I'd just like to add that if anyone creates their own scenarios, we'll happily put them up as free downloads on the Sceaptune Games / Hyperlite website. We're adding our own, convention scenarios as they are developed and put into a neat format.

Print edition is now available for pre-order and, as soon as it is live, print copies can be ordered through One Book Shelf's printing system (that's at DriveThruRPG, links above).

We've also got a very few of the Limited Gamma Edition copies left.

hmm whilst it sounds a bit TORGish to me in terms of variable tech, I know that anything you're involved in Mr Halfbat will be mindblowingly awesome :)

Make sure you grab me for this at Conception or Indiecon (if i get away to it).

Si

I picked up a copy of this product in PDF format from RPGNow and it looks pretty good. It presents a universe that is very different in flavour to the OTU and shows off just how flexible the Traveller game system can be. In some respects, the setting reminds me of a cross between the works of David Brin and Vernor Vinge....with perhaps a touch of John Scalzi's novels for good measure.

And even if you don't like the setting, there's plenty of stuff that could easily be swiped for a mainstream Traveller game. For example, there are some nice additions to the combat system designed to provide additional support for low-tech melee combat. There's also some cool new equipment that could pop up in a traditional Traveller game.

The only major issue with the product is the question of whether it complies with the terms of the OGL. The book doesn't quite indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with the Traveller rules (as prohibited under section 7 of the OGL), but it comes very close. Also, there is nothing indicating which portions of the work are Open Game Content and which portions are designated as Product Identity. This is disappointing, especially as the guys at Sceaptune Games are branding the product as SF OGL. Personally, I would love to see them open up the new rules, while keeping the setting-related material as Product Identity.

Despite this minor gripe, the book is an interesting, non-traditional take on the Traveller rule system.

Thanks for the praise Si and Prime_Evil.

Prime_Evil said:
The book doesn't quite indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with the Traveller rules (as prohibited under section 7 of the OGL), but it comes very close.
Absolutely. Much as we'd like to, we cannot put the Traveller logo on the front as it is stand-alone (something arising from feedback on the Gamma Edition). Indicating compatability and showing the differences is fair use, especially as we point the reader towards Mongoose Traveller and acknowledge the Traveller trademark ownership. The Hyperlite system is definitely not Traveller or an Licensed Traveller product but, like Conan and d20, adjusts the core system to cope with a different approach.

Also, there is nothing indicating which portions of the work are Open Game Content and which portions are designated as Product Identity.
At the moment, the clauses in the OGL are clear and satisfactory as the book itself, like other products (the Traveller book itself, for example) is not OGL. We'll be publishing the SF-OGL separately in exactly the way you state, btw. Our delays in getting it out are due to taking a similar approach to MGT's SRD production approach.

btw, If anyone wants some pre-release input, please do get in touch with us.

And thanks, again, for your kind words!

The Gamma Edition was a pre-full release, limited edition we rushed out specially for Indiecon 09, much like other rulesets produce Gamma (post-beta testing) editions. It produced some interesting comments that we've included in the UNE edition (the full release).

All the Gamma Edition purchasers (it is also cheaper than the full version) had a code they can submit to us for a free copy of the PDF UNE Edition.

We'll be publishing the SF-OGL separately in exactly the way you state, btw. Our delays in getting it out are due to taking a similar approach to MGT's SRD production approach.

That's excellent news! I think that you make enough interesting additions to the SRD to make this worthwhile. Your setting has a different 'feel' to the OTU, and the modified rules reflect this. You've also done a lot of work fleshing out the rules for adventuring on low tech level worlds - a necessity when the default adventure seems to be undercover investigations on primitive worlds.

btw, If anyone wants some pre-release input, please do get in touch with us.

No problems. I'm sure that many publishers will be interested in the your variant. There are many things in the standard Mongoose SRD that are tied to the default assumptions of the OTU, so it will be nice to see some third-party OGC contributions that show off what can be done with the Traveller rules.

And thanks, again, for your kind words!

You're very welcome! I bought a couple of your Runequest books ages ago and was very happy with them, so I was curious to see what you could do with the Traveller rules.

Back