S&P Wargamer #36: Battlefield Evolution

Eisho

Mongoose
The coverage of BE is very exciting. I can't wait to get my hands on the game. The models look gorgeous. A question occurs to me: Will the models be immediately available in different camo patterns for different theatres?

Cheers,

Eisho

Regardless of the official answer, you could consider any units that were "camouflage challenged" to be recent reinforcements brought in from outside of the theater you are playing in. If you were consistantly playing in an arctic environment, you could do a quick and sloppy whitewash in much the same fashion as the real world might. In many cases throughout history, the vehicle crews themselves did the paintjob on the spot because of the delay in waiting.

I too can't wait to get a middle eastern army. After watching playtesting at mongoose (no I dont know anything about it, I was too busy doing what scenery I could) they look fun.

Regardless of the official answer, you could consider any units that were "camouflage challenged" to be recent reinforcements brought in from outside of the theater you are playing in. If you were consistantly playing in an arctic environment, you could do a quick and sloppy whitewash in much the same fashion as the real world might. In many cases throughout history, the vehicle crews themselves did the paintjob on the spot because of the delay in waiting.

Good idea. I would just prefer the choice when I purchase the models. For some reason it didn't hit me when I saw the initial piccies posted on the SST forum, but when I saw the models side by side with scenery depicting different regions I suddenly thoughy 'hmm....'

I think I''m going for Europeans first up and a Chinese army for anyone that wants a game with me to use.

Cheers,

Eisho

Eisho said:

Good idea. I would just prefer the choice when I purchase the models. For some reason it didn't hit me when I saw the initial piccies posted on the SST forum, but when I saw the models side by side with scenery depicting different regions I suddenly thoughy 'hmm....'

I think I''m going for Europeans first up and a Chinese army for anyone that wants a game with me to use.

Cheers,

Eisho

I think somewhere within the "Evo Announcement" thread Matthew might have said initially one type of paintjob, and depending on demand more. My guess is that MGP will be offering desert, woodland, and maybe arctic eventually. Heck, it makes good merchandising sense since the tooling cost is already paid for to get the first model. So like Matthew said, demand will probably determine this. So the hard part is which scheme would be more popular: the desert or woodlands camo for the first models? I think I saw a mix within the prototypes.

Just a stray thought, depending on the process involved, some colours or combinations of colours may be harder than others to produce.

LBH

BuShips said:
So the hard part is which scheme would be more popular: the desert or woodlands camo for the first models?

Woodland would get my vote. Lots of existing gamers have green board and green scenery so woodland camo would make things easier.

Though desert one has advantage of it not needing difficult terrain etc so would be good for those who start wargaming with this.

Though MY favourite would be urban :D Got to love combats in cities.

tneva82 said:
BuShips said:
So the hard part is which scheme would be more popular: the desert or woodlands camo for the first models?

Woodland would get my vote. Lots of existing gamers have green board and green scenery so woodland camo would make things easier.

Though desert one has advantage of it not needing difficult terrain etc so would be good for those who start wargaming with this.

Though MY favourite would be urban :D Got to love combats in cities.

Those are good comments, but also remember that the main "real" purpose of camo is to hide from the "MK1 eyeball", so just remember to keep track of where all of your units are, or you may actually forget to move some because the camo worked :oops: . I hate to say it, but the desert camo would work better for green boards and the olive drab/ woodlands camo painted minis would be easier to spot on a desert board (huh???). :roll:

My vote would be for woodland because I've got more scenery and props for a woodland battle (as I suspect most people have). Urban would also be welcome (plus if Stalingrad looks likely then building up a larger set of urban props would be cool). Desert is a bit limited for me. The Middle-Eastern Alliance will most likely be the last army I will collect (though I would still collect it). I know there is campaign potential for other desert 'hot spots' but I like the idea of a clash between Europeans and Chinese to secure oil and water supplies somewhere in Europe or the Near East.

Cheers,

Eisho

Eisho said:
My vote would be for woodland because I've got more scenery and props for a woodland battle (as I suspect most people have). Urban would also be welcome (plus if Stalingrad looks likely then building up a larger set of urban props would be cool). Desert is a bit limited for me. The Middle-Eastern Alliance will most likely be the last army I will collect (though I would still collect it). I know there is campaign potential for other desert 'hot spots' but I like the idea of a clash between Europeans and Chinese to secure oil and water supplies somewhere in Europe or the Near East.

Cheers,

Eisho

From Mongoose's perspective, they should have the paintwork trend towards where their storylines are written, which are still fiction (we hope). A Chinese invasion of Taiwan with enough time allowed for a buildup of U.S. forces there might require that urban paint scheme you wanted. It would also be easy to justify desert schemes that were from recently redeployed units from the middle east, as an excuse. Hey, it all depends on the imagination of the scenario writer. For example in WW2 on the Eastern front, the German troops did not have any winter weather clothing, so the female German civilians shipped thousands of fur coats to the front in an effort to help the freezing German soldiers. Hmm, so if history repreats itself, you could have some soldiers with some very interesting custom paint jobs. Now that would certainly separate minis on a table... :lol:

BuShips said:
but also remember that the main "real" purpose of camo is to hide from the "MK1 eyeball", so just remember to keep track of where all of your units are, or you may actually forget to move some because the camo worked :oops: .

Haha! That would be funny :lol:

Hopefully they don't make camo TOO good then.

Just something that strikes me as a "Battlefield 2" player:
The initial lineup of forces seem to be quite similar to the game.
Good thing though that the Term Battlefield doesnt need to be licensed, even though a marketing deal between Mongoose and DICE could bring a lot of fresh blood into the table top gamer scene :D

Omegamann said:
Just something that strikes me as a "Battlefield 2" player:
The initial lineup of forces seem to be quite similar to the game.
Good thing though that the Term Battlefield doesnt need to be licensed, even though a marketing deal between Mongoose and DICE could bring a lot of fresh blood into the table top gamer scene :D

It wouldn't surprise me that after Mongoose releases their tabletop game with some scenarios included that BF2 or BF2142 mods appear that are based upon the Mongoose game, heh.

BuShips wrote:
but also remember that the main "real" purpose of camo is to hide from the "MK1 eyeball", so just remember to keep track of where all of your units are, or you may actually forget to move some because the camo worked .

Haha! That would be funny

Hopefully they don't make camo TOO good then.

Don't laugh, it happens! :oops: Was playing a 1/200th WW2 game with a friend a few years ago when he put a german tank in front of a house. During the firing phase he said that his tank was firing and I just couldn't see it at all, eventually he put his finger on it and I still had to get within a foot or so to see it, the camo was just perfect! Bear in mind that the tank was about 2" long. Same game, I parked a humber recce vehicle under an arch and it sat there for the rest of the game, spotting for other units while columns of german vehicles passed by about 6" away! At the end of the game, we were packing away the terrain and it fell out, even I had forgotten it was there! :oops:

BuShips said:
For example in WW2 on the Eastern front, the German troops did not have any winter weather clothing, so the female German civilians shipped thousands of fur coats to the front in an effort to help the freezing German soldiers.

OT and nitpicking, but the German army did have winter clothing. It just was woefully inadequate for the Russian winters.

But yeah, soldiers tend to scavenge heavily. And well, you can always repaint mini;s to different schemes and terrain types

weasel_fierce said:
BuShips said:
For example in WW2 on the Eastern front, the German troops did not have any winter weather clothing, so the female German civilians shipped thousands of fur coats to the front in an effort to help the freezing German soldiers.

OT and nitpicking, but the German army did have winter clothing. It just was woefully inadequate for the Russian winters.

But yeah, soldiers tend to scavenge heavily. And well, you can always repaint mini;s to different schemes and terrain types

It may be time for you to learn some "Weird War 2" trivia :wink: . I've known this for decades, but to grab some snippets of what I mentioned, I just "googled" a few words and captured this info from various websites:

"German soldiers nearly froze to death outside Moscow in December 1941 — not because German industry couldn't produce winter clothing but because, with the Soviet armies collapsing during the summer, the Nazi government cancelled its war-production contracts. Then, when the snow hit the fan, the only way the Nazis could keep their young men from dying was to collect up all the ladies' fur coats they could lay their hands on and ship them east. "

and:

"December 4th, 1941...Adolf Hitler's armies have lost 85,000 men
on the Moscow front since Nov. 16th, the same number of troops as
had died on the whole front from mid-June to mid-November. He
orders one more effort to break through to the Soviet capital,
which is also the center of the Soviet rail net.
The attack is ordered on the southern pincer between Tula
and Venev, but the temperature has dropped to an incredible 35
degrees Celsius below zero. German tanks will not move, German
guns will not fire, and thousands of German troops in thin
leather boots are suffering frostbite. The attack cannot start.
Hitler orders his Propaganda Minister, Josef Goebbels, to do
something about the German lack of winter uniforms. Goebbels
launches a drive to urge German women to donate their fur coats
to the war effort. However, the trainloads of furs and mittens
are stranded on jammed railways, which are attacked daily by
partisans."

Later in the war in "other" winters than 1941 the soldiers received better cold weather gear, but near Moscow in December if you were German and you were not freezing, you fought in drag :shock: :lol:

have some of you watched the news, half of the british army in iraq and afganhisthan(sp??) are still wearing green DPM's, some are fortunate enough to have desert camo boots and trousers and a green camo shirt / jacket!!

thats what ya get for rapeing the defence budget!!

BuShips said:
Later in the war in "other" winters than 1941 the soldiers received better cold weather gear, but near Moscow in December if you were German and you were not freezing, you fought in drag :shock: :lol:

Why oh why does noone model Germans in ladies gear ? :)

I'd buy a platoon...

weasel_fierce said:
BuShips said:

Why oh why does noone model Germans in ladies gear ? :)

I'd buy a platoon...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing after I posted that. Wouldn't that be a riot? :lol: Well all of the WW2 embarrassment doesn't belong just to the Wehrmacht, as a US submarine in the Pacific theater didn't have enough primer when they needed to paint the sub. They had to mix some red and white primer together to get enough paint and got (you guessed it) a pink submarine! Although some that have seen the old movie "Operation Petticoat" might not know it, most of the crazy antics in the film have a basis in fact although they were spread out over several different submarine tales. Great little flick.

Back