S&P 45

cOwgummi

Mongoose
well now that was another issue I didn't even bother reading the smallish "preview" for SST-EVO.
Again nothing but forth fluff, one picture showing that they look awfully cliche (standard grey+x-com snakemen, boooooring) and one that shows an extremely ugly mech prototype...

Pretty much my feelings as well..... Whilst its nice to read fluff it is at the end of the day only fluff.

I was really hoping for a bit more meat to stop my intrest in SST:Evo from flagging further....

Well, I happen to like Greys. As one might guess, from my handle and a quirky knowledge of Babylon 5 :). So I'm perfectly happy with that part of things. It does mean my Skinny Venerables will probably languish for longer as I build out Forth instead, but se la guerre.

It would be nice, though, to have "a bit more meat" as cordas put it. A few more unit cards, for the veteran players to run through with their existing figures, perhaps. A "designers' notes" article about which attributes got changed (killshot) and why. A scenario using the wave 1 units. Something beyond fluff. And remember, I like fluff...

As i look accross at my SST shelf i see alot of very dusty mini's. I've read the S&P stuff about the Evo incarnation and it just dosn't excite me particularly. I'm not anti Evo as i play more BFEVO then any other wargame i've owned. It's my fav game. I think that i'm dispondant about it because i want more than the preview and the hype is giving me.

The rules are Evo, great but i've played em. The mini's are prepaints, ok no more rank and file painting thats ok but i've got a whole shelf of prepainted M.I, Pathfinders ready to go. No stats tho. If the stat sharing is as slow as BF:Evos has been it'll be months before i play with the forces i want to any way. I can't bring my self to paint anymore mini's untill i know i'm going to fall back in love with this game. I'm not too bothered about the Forth, i didn't get into the game for them. I'd rather see the existing fleshed out/done right (we're looking at you skinnies) before adding non cannon races.

Just my thoughts after reading S&P

127th Angry Angels said:
If the stat sharing is as slow as BF:Evos has been

Difference here: BF:Evo is new game with no existing models. SST:Evo is old game with existing models and existing gamers.

They will put the stats on web page.

Yes it might be nice to get playtest versions now but then again it's not too hard to make them yourself either...Only point costs would be trickier but those are likely to change anyway...

I’ll second MaxSteiner - I enjoyed the provided background. How the Prophet managed to gain such a strong following I don't understand and I feel it doesn't make too much sense within their "True Democracy". Perhaps it would have been better that a radical element had instead appeared within those Forth who face Arachnids/Skinnies/Humans on a daily basis who feel a campaign of offence is preferable to defence, and some of their Fighting Machine pilots had instead formed a very militaristic “cult” which desired nothing less than the destruction of all their rivals?

As for the Forth itself... yes, disappointing. Was hoping for something more like this:

aliensculptthumb39.jpg

ID4Alien.jpg

Current Forth simply looks like a generic "Grey" with a snake-tail from the hips-down. At least make their heads a funny shape or something! :p

Zekk_Sirius said:
I’ll second MaxSteiner - I enjoyed the provided background. How the Prophet managed to gain such a strong following I don't understand and I feel it doesn't make too much sense within their "True Democracy". Perhaps it would have been better that a radical element had instead appeared within those Forth who face Arachnids/Skinnies/Humans on a daily basis who feel a campaign of offence is preferable to defence, and some of their Fighting Machine pilots had instead formed a very militaristic “cult” which desired nothing less than the destruction of all their rivals?

I'm not sure your idea is incompatible with the canon fluff, really. Demagogues are going to pop up all the time; they are, in some opinions, a natural product of a free society. This particular one is proving memorable because he has a following, and that following has to come from somewhere. Forth who have been studying and/or fighting the aliens seem a likely power base.

The problem is that all the computing power available to the Forth is not able to solve their dilemma: what should be done about the War of the Species? All the game theory and cognitive psychology models have led to two possible courses of action, and they are balanced on an experimental knive-edge. "The Prophet" has decided to take one of these choices and champion it. That just makes him the Forthan face of a mathematical theory. Or so all the recoran tower theorists on the Forth homeworld are saying...

I started reading the Forth background, then saw the artwork... that's where I stopped as I had fallen off my chair laughing. Mongoose really need to hire better artists.

I may go back to finishing off reading the fluff, luckily I can't see the Forth being popular in my area, so there is really no point me knowing about them... yeah for not having to waste valuable brain space!

This issue of S&P was just too full of Battlefield Evolution, but it was very good to see a Mighty Armies battle report.

Edit: Just tried to download the PDF to finish reading the Forth.. it's not working. Wonder if Mongoose have pulled it :wink:

Well, when it first came to the play test group the Prophet was more of a "cult" figure than a political power....

you know i'm starting to think they just should avoid having art in the books, because frankly I would have been better off if left to my own imagination about the forth, than actually seeing that concept art...

and yeah not impressed with that fighting machine either, too little detail...

sigh.

Gauntlet- said:
and yeah not impressed with that fighting machine either, too little detail...

sigh.

Well the thing IS prototype...BF:Evo vechile prototypes got more detail added after prototype picture and final version so why not in SST:Evo?

Ah well. Standard negative response I expected when I noticed thread for latest S&P had been opened.

i think a negative respone is merrited when what we're shown looks like that.
edit: although i did rather like the fluff

patton said:
i think a negative respone is merrited when what we're shown looks like that.
edit: although i did rather like the fluff

now just make your avatar smaller, I wanna read the text and still see who wrote it :wink:

i dont see a problem with having finally one of the typical alien types thats supposedly visited earth. think most sci-fi settings have them and dont stray too far off from the baseline.

O don't have any problem with them. They are just a joke like the VRee are.

But I also think the new prototype is definately a step backwards - where's that old Fenos Prototype?
This new thing looks boring and has next to no details.

Oh, and it has the usually ugly color sheme (I think it would look okay, if you paint it in another way and add many GreenStuff-based details to the hull).

Galatea said:

Well the vree are one small race, not even meant to be played alone, amongst HOW many other factions?

and the forth are one of only four factions...

Galatea said:
But I also think the new prototype is definately a step backwards - where's that old Fenos Prototype?
This new thing looks boring and has next to no details.).

agreed, ugly as hell

I don't mind the look of the greys so much, I still think the name "forth" is way more lousy!

cOwgummi said:
Galatea said:

Well the vree are one small race, not even meant to be played alone, amongst HOW many other factions?

and the forth are one of only four factions...

actually the vree have a very competitve fleet i think you will find :)
and anyway you can imagine whatever you want inside your machines.

Back