S&P 45

Why does a race that has no legs build bipedal warmachines?

It doesn't make sense... surely they would build from what they know and is more comfortable with their own 'mind set', which having any number of legs just wouldn't fit. :?

Xorrandor said:
Stonehorse said:
Why does a race that has no legs build bipedal warmachines?

What, like my bipedal car? :)

Ins't that a bicycle :lol:

As for building 2 legged walkers I don't like them in principle because the whole mechanics of them is awkward, but I accept them in a Sci Fi settings, but the question of why a race without legs would build a walker is valid.

cordas said:
As for building 2 legged walkers I don't like them in principle because the whole mechanics of them is awkward, but I accept them in a Sci Fi settings, but the question of why a race without legs would build a walker is valid.

Oh, sure, it's a valid question. But two things to keep in mind: 1) humans build non-human-shaped vehicles all the time, and 2) 2-legged walkers are a proven biological "design" (look in a mirror :) ). If the most technologically advanced race in the area did an analysis of motive systems, they might find that bipedal motion confers an optimum of mobility, agility and speed. After all, the MI have come to a similar conclusion, and they presumably had tanks available when they started their weapons development.

I'm not saying it's an obvious conclusion, or a correct one (IRL), but it's close enough for game fluff. As long as another faction doesn't show up with highly mobile tanks later, anyway...

Xorrandor said:
cordas said:

Oh, sure, it's a valid question. But two things to keep in mind: 1) humans build non-human-shaped vehicles all the time, and 2) 2-legged walkers are a proven biological "design" (look in a mirror :) ). If the most technologically advanced race in the area did an analysis of motive systems, they might find that bipedal motion confers an optimum of mobility, agility and speed. After all, the MI have come to a similar conclusion, and they presumably had tanks available when they started their weapons development.

I'm not saying it's an obvious conclusion, or a correct one (IRL), but it's close enough for game fluff. As long as another faction doesn't show up with highly mobile tanks later, anyway...

I can see the logic behide those reasons, but the Fourth are ment to be a totally alien race and their mind set might not see the same logic. Also 2 legged biological 'designs' might not have evolved on their planet, if this is the case it wouldn't occure to them to build 2 legged walking machines.

I'd just rather their machines be snake like with 2 weapon/arm mounts near a head, something that looks like their own biology.

As it is the MI, Skinnies, and the Forth have 2 legged machines... just thought it would look a bit more interesting to shake up the mix a bit.

Stonehorse said:
Also 2 legged biological 'designs' might not have evolved on their planet, if this is the case it wouldn't occure to them to build 2 legged walking machines.

They have however looked upon other races and as such could have analysed functionality of 2 legged walking machines...

tneva82 said:
They have however looked upon other races and as such could have analysed functionality of 2 legged walking machines...

To me that is probably the best rationalization of why they look like Japanese Mecha. It's ok by me since it does attract a new segment of gamers who want that look in an army. Personally I don't find mechs with gatling weapons as a concept to be very "alien" at all, but to each their own. If it means more options, more models, and more players it is not a bad thing. The concept will be proven out, or not, by how many are ultimately sold and used in games.

I'd love to see a race that are the adaptive scavengers of the universe in a technological manner, something in contrast to the Arachnids mutating to meet new challenges. So if I were being a backseat driver, "my" Forth would have reused and improved captured technology from all possible enemies. I'm thinking piloted or remote controlled Arachnid exeskeletons cobbled back together with this race's own tech as well as Skinnie and Human tech. A quick example off the top of my head would be a dead legless Tanker bug reanimated into a hovering (or really high tech phase shifting) armed transport or remote tank with a super sized scythe laser on the head and pintle mounted constrictor rifles. In addition to official models it would be the kitbashers and conversion makers dream army. And we can call them the Fhythe. :wink:

Well, there was a race that was akin to the Borg in the works. I haven't heard back from them in a while though....

Hiromoon said:
Well, there was a race that was akin to the Borg in the works. I haven't heard back from them in a while though....

That could be interesting as well, preferably done as a high level concept and not anything like Borg in appearance. I was thinking along Jokaero lines for the Fhythe. Reuse of components rather than nano-assimilation of living entities. Both work for me.

It would also be fun if Mongoose released SST:Evo stats for the B5 alien races in a future S&P. It might even drive more sales of the small range of RPG figures.

Stonehorse said:
I can see the logic behide those reasons, but the Fourth are ment to be a totally alien race and their mind set might not see the same logic.

Just curious: is this ("a totally alien race") a known design goal, or your assumption? I just assumed that having covered meritocracy, communism and libertarianism, they were going to move on to democracy. Since that's still a governmental system that humans have attempted, there's at least some commonality of mindset. But if the Forth are supposed to be really alien aliens, that doesn't really mesh well.

(Would this leave the Coven to cover theocracy, and the "Borg" to cover ... what?)

Goldwyrm said:
I'd love to see a race that are the adaptive scavengers of the universe in a technological manner, something in contrast to the Arachnids mutating to meet new challenges. So if I were being a backseat driver, "my" Forth would have reused and improved captured technology from all possible enemies. I'm thinking piloted or remote controlled Arachnid exeskeletons cobbled back together with this race's own tech as well as Skinnie and Human tech. A quick example off the top of my head would be a dead legless Tanker bug reanimated into a hovering (or really high tech phase shifting) armed transport or remote tank with a super sized scythe laser on the head and pintle mounted constrictor rifles. In addition to official models it would be the kitbashers and conversion makers dream army. And we can call them the Fhythe. :wink:

Great idea, although I would say wait until a couple more races are out 1st, but it is a great idea that I hope MGP consider...

tneva82 said:
final version so why not in SST:Evo?

Ah well. Standard negative response I expected when I noticed thread for latest S&P had been opened.

And why dfo you think that is? Theres three months till the unvieling and we're being shown stuff which should have been discarded before it even got to the design phase.

MaxSteiner said:
tneva82 said:
final version so why not in SST:Evo?

Ah well. Standard negative response I expected when I noticed thread for latest S&P had been opened.

And why dfo you think that is? Theres three months till the unvieling and we're being shown stuff which should have been discarded before it even got to the design phase.

Early prototypes are by default non-detailed...The early prototype of new Rhino from GW wasn't anywhere near as detailed as finished product just for example...

Ah well. Standard "everything sucks" mentality of these forums.

As per usual Tneva you have completly the wrong end of the stick.
Im saying that the lack lustre 30 secound doodle of a 'grey head stuck on a snake body' shouldn't have been allowed into the folio, let alone anywhere near that article!
Furthermore, its presence at the very start of the only SST article for this month causes so much damage to peoples expectations that its effectivle a buzz kill.

Also I haven't actually seen you post anything possitive about any of the stuff this month, all you seem to have done is complain that people have a negative opinion of something that clearly deserves it.
As far as Im concerned that's far worse then people pointing out that the race design (Which they've had well over a year to work on, and have been assuring us will be 100% perfect) is completly unusable.

I happen to like the fluff, and consider the loss of detailing on the model a simple sympton of however Mongoose is making its models these days (Based on the BF:E tanks etc) and certainly one were just going to have to accept, though I am hoping that the modular equipment system which they've been telling us about since the relaunch started will provide plenty of chance to add enough detail to differentiate between units.

So basically my position is that I don't like the picture this month, where as I have no idea what yours is...

My only problem with S&P this month is that its more sizzle and no steak, as I have already said I am finding that intrest is rapidly dwindeling in SST:Evo and it could really do with a kick start, I was keep on hoping that MGP will release a few more units and relight the fire under SST.

You only have to look at this forum and the amount of new topics and posts generated over the last couple of months (and what they have been about) to see how little excitement / intrest there is over SST:Evo currently, and the amount of negative comments is just pouring more cold water on the game. BF:Evo is sucking all the heat out of this great game and for me thats an issue as I only have limited money to spend on wargaming, at the moment and for the foreseeable future my cash is all going to be going BF:Evo and FOW.

Another unit or 2 for each of the 4 races and I am sure this forum and intrest in the game will go right up again.... I am just supprised that MGP isn't doing more to build intrest in the new rules and pre-paints yet.

cordas said:
I am just supprised that MGP isn't doing more to build intrest in the new rules and pre-paints yet.

Mostly because the game is not available until August! It is on a slow simmer at the moment, but you'll see an increase in pace soon enough. . .

Back