Runes

Exubae

Mongoose
Quick question about the Runes and their relationships,
There are a couple of runes which compose other runes i.e.

Fire - Heat and light
Darkness - Cold and shadow
Possibly Eath and Metal

Can for example Fire be used to cast the heat and light spells, like Warmth or light?
(Hopefully this hasn't been asked before... can't seeem to find it)
Cheers
Paul

By the RAW, only integrated runes can cast spells and _only_ if those spells are associated with that particular Rune.

iirc, the elements in Glorantha, for example, are not necessarily composed of others but are specialities in their own right: a darkness rune would not necessarily be able to do the stuff shadow can do.

That said - it's your campaign and if a heirarchy of runes is what you want, then go ahead.

Shadow Queen said:
think of a five pointed star

at the top Spirit runes

air and water

then fire and earth

What?

Is this Gloranthan based or another world, cause it not any organisation that I recognise. (well it is but not in RQ).

Whats on the other point? should be darkness.

In Glorantha cold and shadow were derived from Darkness.

I'd like to see this idea expanded to place all the other runes at the intesections and ven enclosures!

Could be quite an interesting foundation for a magic system or some form of runic tracking sheet?

CHRIS

homerjsinnott said:
Shadow Queen said:

at the top Spirit runes

air and water

then fire and earth

What?

Is this Gloranthan based or another world, cause it not any organisation that I recognise. (well it is but not in RQ).

Whats on the other point? should be darkness.

In Glorantha cold and shadow were derived from Darkness.

I think this is from HeroQuest's Masters of Luck and Death, and Spirit should be Darkness instead.

There's a diagram showing five elemental runes: Darkness, Earth, Air, Water and Fire/Sky. They are shown on a wheel, progressing in a clockwise direction. Darkness is at twelve o'clock, not that it really matters.

Each element is vulnerable to the element anitclockwise to it. So Earth is vulnerable to Darkenss, Air to Earth, Water vulnerable to Air, Fire/Sky vulnerable to Water and Darkness vulnerable to Fire'Sky.

Hope that helps.

>Fire - Heat and light
>Darkness - Cold and shadow
>Possibly Eath and Metal

This is taking the Glorantha perspective,
Yep the elemental runes cycle
Darkness->Water->Earth->Fire/Sky->Air-> Darkness
But its not quite what I meant.

Looking at a couple of the Glorantha Gods- Yelmalio and Moorgaki

Yelmalio had his Fire/Heat powers devoured by Zorak Zoran and could only express the Light Rune there after.

Moorgaki, The Father of the Muri, After a few scuffles in Pamalt ended up damaging his Darkness and lost his Attachment to Cold and expresses only the Shadow Rune.

In the old Glorantha certain Runes had implied relationships
Darkness contained and birthed the powers of Cold and shadow (Also Hunger)

Other runes where twined in opposition
Death - Fertility
Fate - Luck
Illusion - Truth
Disorder - Harmony
Motion - Stasis

I suppose these are setting specific - so We'll have wait and se if anything comes of them.
Though I suppose it wouldn't take much tomake the attunement/integration with/of opposed runes harder

In real world settings I suppose
Earth, Fire, Water, Air and Spirit model or
Earth, Metal, Wood(Plant), Fire, and Water as an elemental model.

Cheers Paul

at the top Spirit runes
air and water
then fire and earth

The pentagram of Earth, Fire Air, Water, and Spirit (Akasha) is only applicable to the 'real world' perspective of the elements, and only from a Western cultural perspective.
The Eastern cultures models differ - the Chinese use the elements of Earth, Wood, Metal, Water, and Fire, and the Japanses cling to a Earth, Fire, Water, Air, and void model for their prime elemental forces.

In the game world of Nephilim Earth, Fire Air, Water, and Moon are the principal elements.

So I suppose its all setting specifics.

Cheers
Paul

Exubae said:
This is taking the Glorantha perspective,
Yep the elemental runes cycle
Darkness->Water->Earth->Fire/Sky->Air-> Darkness
But its not quite what I meant.

Ah, gotcha. Sorry.

From a narrativist point of view, it makes perfect sense to me that one rune might be subsumed or considered a component part of another (light as a component of fire/sky, for example). I supposed I'd argue for an in-milieu cosmological context. In a Gloranthan context, I you would need to look at the particular myths of the deity in question and the nature of their relationship with the rune (as you have). Outside of Glorantha, I suppose it depends on what sort of cosmos you want to build, how the runes (if you include them) relate to it and how they relate to each other.

In terms of Rune Magic in the core MRQ book, I don't get a sense of anything that complex or subtle. In fact, I'm not sure how or how well Rune Magic sits with Glorantha. Take the Skybolt spell. The first thing that comes to my mind is RQ3's Sunspear. A Fire/Sky rune magic if ever I heard of one. But MRQ has it under the Chaos rune. I'll be as interested to see how (and if) Rune Magic is integrated into MRQ's 2nd Age Glorantha as I will to see if/how it is integrated into, say, Lanhkmar.

Magic weilding folk in the Lankhmar books always seemed rare, With the
Mouser knowing only a few tricks - no real reference to Runes either.
I did run a game a few years ago, set in Lhankmar (Using the old TSR stuff) with the RQ3 rules set (No spirit or Divine magic, only sorcery), and it went down well with the player.
I'm not sure how the MRG's rune magic will fit in - the settings magic always seemed pretty sorcerous - with very little that you could call being of Divine or runic origin. The Gods seemed very direct, rather than acting through a human agency.

The Skybolt... yep, personally I ditched the Chaos association and been playing it with a joint requirements either Fire&Death or Air&Death, depending on Sunspear or Thunderbolt style effect.

Overall, MRQ isn't too bad so far. I'ld have prefered a tighter mesh with Glorantha.
The rune integration isn't a bad idea, but the rules makes it feels a bit too contrived and I feel there should have been more detail.

Perhaps I would have liked to see something along the lines of:
If a character has the Death Rune integrated, healing spells, First aid are half as effective.

A character with the Undeath rune, shys away from the sight of the death rune.

A character with the illusion rune finds it hard to tell if someone is trying to swindle him.

Paul

Exubae said:
Magic weilding folk in the Lankhmar books always seemed rare, With the
Mouser knowing only a few tricks - no real reference to Runes either.
I did run a game a few years ago, set in Lhankmar (Using the old TSR stuff) with the RQ3 rules set (No spirit or Divine magic, only sorcery), and it went down well with the player.

In the lords of Quarmall story, Mouser uses what the author refers to repeatedly as a "rune" given him by his eyeless patron, though from the description it seems more like a scroll than what we'd normally think of by "rune". I agree Sorcery would seem to be the best fit, at least out of the choices from RQ3.

Back