RuneQuest Star Wars

No we haven't swiped Mongoose's holy grail licence (whatever it may be) out from under them either ;)

No licence at all (apologies if I gave the idea that it was) - just something that you might be able to steal a few game mechanics from for this kind of thing.

Announcement here ;)

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20294

At a guess you would be able to lift most of the mechanics for technology and space travel :) Combat is probably not enough of a "Star Wars" feel but you might be able to tweak it.

Shadow Queen said:
How about high speed manuvers ie: podracing and deathstar trench's?

This is an area RQ derived mechanics have traditionaly been poor at - multi-round contests using non-combat skills.

There are several approaches I have used. One I favour is to present characters with a series of challenges of varying difficulty (fixed skill modifiers), and move a token along a track based on their success level. For example Critical = move forward 3; Success = move forward 2; Fail = move forward 1; Fumble = move back 1 or drop out. Characters on the same 'level' of the track can interact, such as side-swiping each other, shooting a gun out of a side window, etc.

Space combat can be modeled using a similar method for relative movement in range bands. I think it's best to have several different nice simple methods like this available for resolving problems like this, so the GM can slect the best for the situation at hand.

Note that many space combats in SF fims, particularly Star Wars, tend to be chases.

Simon Hibbs

Simple solution to the "Can't hit the broad side of a barn" blaster fights...

Declare that a dodge is FREE against blasters, not a reaction, but if a reaction is spent, it is at double skill. Unless the poor target is unaware of the firer or is immobilized for some reason.

Or use some kind of "mook" rules for stormtroopers and non-heroes. They all have just one combat action, no matter their int and dex.

Doding blaster fire is free action for heroes, but not for "mooks".

That way, the player characters and villains of the story, have a huge advantage over common characters.

So I've been tinkering with rules now for some time. I came across this post, and thought wow. So I threw up a wiki and forums purely for the discussion of converting starwars to the Legends/Runequest System.

So those of you that are interested jump over to www.starwarslegends.net its' still pretty basic right now and brand new. I'll start adding stuff this week, that I've come up with.

Regards
Maeli

bluejay said:
Just watched Episode III tonight again. Lots of options in combat required...

Indeed. Episode III in particular and lightsaber duels in general were put under a lot of scrutiny when we first looked at combat rules in RQ2...

However, here is something that I wanted to put in, but we never really got to fir (though it was the genesis of the Combatg Manoeuvres rules).

Watch the two main lightsaber duels in episode III again. In particular look how they change the environment around them. You don't just have two heroes battling away. They actually change the landscape around the fight. They also move around a lot, going from scene to scene (Anakin and Kenobi fight especially).

We wanted that in RQ2/Legend. Fights so big, they do not leave the surroundings unscathed - and I don't mean a few craters here and there. You just know something big happened there.

msprange said:
Watch the two main lightsaber duels in episode III again. In particular look how they change the environment around them. You don't just have two heroes battling away. They actually change the landscape around the fight. They also move around a lot, going from scene to scene (Anakin and Kenobi fight especially).

We wanted that in RQ2/Legend. Fights so big, they do not leave the surroundings unscathed - and I don't mean a few craters here and there. You just know something big happened there.

How about a mechanic where you spend a Hero Point to perform a cool stunt that uses a feature of the environment?

I was thinking more of unintended consequences

Always good. The amount of collateral damage tends to increase proportionally to the awesomness of the jedi/sith involved. Compare Yoda/Sidious fight, which would have taken some serious cleaning up after.

Also, I highly approve of gungan sithlord.

locarno24 said:

Always good. The amount of collateral damage tends to increase proportionally to the awesomness of the jedi/sith involved. Compare Yoda/Sidious fight, which would have taken some serious cleaning up after.

[highlighting and bolding mine]

"Mesa Darth Binks! Mesa Vedy Disappointed in youse.'

"argghhhhh ack arggggh"

:D

Malakor said:
locarno24 said:

[highlighting and bolding mine]

"Mesa Darth Binks! Mesa Vedy Disappointed in youse.'

"argghhhhh ack arggggh"

:D

No...please! It burns!!!!

Back