RuneQuest Star Wars

bluejay

Mongoose
So, anyone have any suggestions for: -

- Skills
- Equipment
- Force Powers (spell equivalents)
- Legendary Abilities

for a Star Wars game using the new MRQ rules. I plan on throwing some write-ups together but it would probably be a great idea to get some common consensus on lightsaber damage and which powers and Legendary Abilities Jedi get (obviously we'll need to come up with new ones and adapt existing ones).

cheers

Colour me interested :)

I would give a hand, but I am currently working on a (private) conversion of Star Wars miniatures to Starship Troopers rules :)

Thanks Matthew... I don't live far from Swindon so one day (if I ever finish them) I could always come across and demo the SWRQ rules for you.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on my ideas (although I am really opening myself up for some Ripostes...)

I was planning to start with Lightsabers. I'd make them the equivalent of a Firebladed Bastard Sword except I'd still retain the extra +1 damage for using them two-handed. I'd give them a fairly high minimum Dex requirement as well.

Difficult to know where to go with AP/HP. I was considering not giving them a HP but then I guess Count Dooku does cut one of Anakin's lightsabers in half in Attack of the Clones. I guess they'd have a high AP given that they are almost the only parrying weapon in a Star Wars game... most other characters would use Dodge (except for Gungans with those energy shields).

I'm thinking of splitting exhibited Jedi abilities into Legendary Abilities and Spells.

So...

Spells: -

- Healing self or others
- Using the Force to be good at something (perhaps a set bonus to a skill for one roll)
- Force push
- Telekinesis
- Telepathy
- Foresight
- Force Lightning

Legendary Abilities: -

- Deflecting blaster fire
- Throwing lightsabers
- Jumping a long way or falling a long way unharmed
- Each of the seven forms of lightsaber fighting

We'll need a couple of extra skills: -

- Pilot
- Computer Programming

perhaps add some element of the Force into Hero Points and we're almost there. Just need to stat out a couple of iconic characters and generic fodder (battle droids and stormies would be good...)

Do you really think you can beat the flair of the original star wars game? (WEG: 1st edition of course - the next ed. never reached the fun of the first)
I just say: dodging out lasers. Yeah.:)

bluejay said:
We'll need a couple of extra skills: -

- Pilot
- Computer Programming

May I also suggest

- Knowledge (replacing or in addition to Lore, and allowing various science-type skills)
- Spacecraft Engineering *hits engine with toolkit and shouts "rawwwrrrrl"*
- Weapons skills for various spacecraft weapons systems (turretted weapons as on the Falcon would need a completely different skill to remote-controlled lasers with target lock controlled from a console)
- Droid Maintenance
- Moisture Farming (okay, maybe no players will really want that one...)

I know one of the overriding concepts of RQ is to keep the skills as few as possible, but I feel some things that are pivotal to the setting ought to have their own skills by virtue of their importance.

You know, I think MRQ's reaction system, will actually liven up Blaster/Gun Combat, since most games limit defensive options so strictly.

Unfortunately, over half of my group won't dive for cover/dodge/parry if it costs them an attack action.

I've been working on Gun damage for my Science Fantasy setting...I've been comparing MRQ to CoC. I'll be glad share what I come up with.

Doc

Star Wars was one of the first settings I wished for when the discussion about settings for the OGL MRQ rules began.

After having GMed BRP and BRP clones since 83, I am positive that MRQ or any new incarnation of BRP would be very well suitable for Star Wars.
In fact so, much more than d20 or d6.

I would love to see Star Wars published my Mongoose with the MRQ rules. But unfortunately, I know this is not going to happen.

As for lightsaber damage; 2d8 - Ignores AP of objects and armor.

Archer said:
Star Wars was one of the first settings I wished for when the discussion about settings for the OGL MRQ rules began.

After having GMed BRP and BRP clones since 83, I am positive that MRQ or any new incarnation of BRP would be very well suitable for Star Wars.
In fact so, much more than d20 or d6.

I would love to see Star Wars published my Mongoose with the MRQ rules. But unfortunately, I know this is not going to happen.

I'm curious to see what you guys come up with. I think 2d8 is a good playable damage rating, but it suffers from being similar to a low tech 2 handed sword (of course you have it ignore AP) - I would take it a step further and say it does 16 damage, always. That way the entire emphasis becomes not getting hit. Sadly most people would hate losing their damage rolls I imagine.

Enpeze said:
Do you really think you can beat the flair of the original star wars game? (WEG: 1st edition of course - the next ed. never reached the fun of the first)

Well I agree that WEG 1st Edition was great fun but it has a fair few limitations and lightsaber duelling had very few options.

Also, if I remember correctly you still had to Dodge Blasters in that system anyway.

bluejay said:
Enpeze said:

Well I agree that WEG 1st Edition was great fun but it has a fair few limitations and lightsaber duelling had very few options.

Also, if I remember correctly you still had to Dodge Blasters in that system anyway.

ok, blasters then :)
I always thought that the WEG 1st ed. caught the athmosphere of SW very well. Its easy and fun like the films. But of course I wouldnt use all these d6 for any other setting than SW.

Archer said:

My thought exactly. I would further let it have damage bonus based on DEX and POW (instead of STR and SIZ).

Off course, (parrying) lightsabers and armour with coriolis weave still gives AP.

Oh, if we only could get away with doing a MRQ Star Wars supplement.

But I guess WoTC, Hasbro and Lucas industries would have our collective asses for lunch. And WoTC license for everything RPG/Miniature Star Wars is reported to not end until 2018.

If we can use some of the stylistic elements from SW, without using the actual temrinology, interetsing things could be done that are publishable.

The light-swords themselves are not all that remarkable as weapons. Someone without any traning can use it just just a one-handed sword and lop off arms. But it takes a combination of skill and mystic focus to do the really neat tricks.

why do so few people carry force swords? Bceuase the law only allows a specirfic class of peoeple who have eanred the priveklege to do so, and usually the final ritual is constructing your own. for everyone else there's the varying types of blasters, which while the truly-skilled mytic might lauch at are not to be ingnored in most circumstances. even at 2d+3, a blaster bolt to the chest will generally ruin anyone's day.

Michael Hopcroft said:
why do so few people carry force swords?

I would guess it is because the first fumble you make is liable to maim or kill you. A good thing they aren't as random and unpredictable as blasters.

Also, energy swords are close combat weapons when other characters use blasters.

Only someone with Jedi reflexes can use them to deflect blaster fire which is when they become particularly useful... anyone can use them to cut open a Tauntaun.

One thing that's great about using MRQ for SW is that lightsabers can be well represented.

The biggest advantage about using lightsabers is that they (effectively) cannot be parried except by another lightsaber (or those electro-staff thingies).

So, in my rules here I would say that AP (with the exception of other lightsabers, electro-staffs and anything made out of cortosis weave) is completely ignored by lightsabers.

This means that they would immediately damage (destroy?) parrying weapons and still do full damage to the opponent.

Other systems struggle to effectively represent this but MRQ would do this perfectly.

Given how cool lightsaber combat is I'll probably start by modelling Jedi and move outward from there. I imagine that a MRQSW game would have a fairly high mortality rate and so I may consider increasing Hero Points.

Back