RUNEQUEST (news?)

KOLAT

Mongoose
Hi everybody,

i m looking for news about the new release of Runequest by mongoose pub.

KOLAT
RQ and CONAN fan ;)

I hope they have rules for chopping arms and legs off. That's one of the things that I remember from the classic Runequest rules.

I'm looking forward to the release, although once I get my hands on it I'll probably change everything, as I always do.

I, too, hope the small-scale feel of the combat system is kept. One thing which always distinguished RQ from other games (for me) was the level of detail and involvement in one's character. And that includes chopping arms and legs off.

Bah, why did they have to release a new version of Runequest, I've only just finished writing my own game for my group and now they'll all be clamouring to bring the RQ campaign back.

How the gods mock me :shock:

I just hope the new rules make more sense than the Hero Wars ones did :D

Vadrus

Vadrus said:
Bah, why did they have to release a new version of Runequest, I've only just finished writing my own game for my group and now they'll all be clamouring to bring the RQ campaign back.

How the gods mock me :shock:

I just hope the new rules make more sense than the Hero Wars ones did :D

Vadrus
I think the rules were excellent, excepted magic perhaps a bit too difficult to interpret sometimes.
But then you can really play the hero wars with heroic quest on the god's plane.

The King said:
I think the rules were excellent, excepted magic perhaps a bit too difficult to interpret sometimes.
I found the RQ2 battle/rune magic rules very clear and easy to use, if a bit lacking in flavour. I never felt that the RQ3 sorcery rules fitted in very well. Although I liked Sandy Peterson's alternative sorcery system, they were still a bit unclear.

If there's anything I hope for, it's that the magic rules are better integrated. And that one can still chop arms and legs off.

So are there any more news titbits about the OGL/"Open" nature of the new RQ ruleset?

I have a well established Sci Fi world I have been using with the BRP ruleset for many years and was wondering what kind of hoops Id have to jump through to publish it as a PDF using the new "open" RQ rules?

Any information would be really useful.

As an Indie computer game developer I am wondering about the OGL as well.

Is this kind of thing covered?

depends on what mongoose :? brought was it only rpg rights or was it books as well or even all media including games dont know if you have a idea send it to matt on the mongoose main site contact page he will tell you if he can help or if you are nice who too contact :shock: good luck :wink: :twisted:

Axiom said:
As an Indie computer game developer I am wondering about the OGL as well.

Is this kind of thing covered?

OGL is (pretty much) only used in pen & paper RPGs. What it does is gives anyone the right to publish a game based on the same rules. Most of the time little if any gaming world info is included in the OGL.

Example:

You could publish a game that uses the same rules as D&D but you could not publish a forgotten realms spin off.

Generally you can't use anything that describes a person, place or thing unless it is spcifically stated in the OGL.

Is the BRP system definitely being used for the new RQ? I have a morbid fear of it being translated into D20 rules. Get thee behind me, D20!

Unfortunately true. However, being popular does not necessarily mean being any good...

Does anyone else have any view on which system the new RQ should use? Does it matter?

no didnt say it was the best but it has the biggest following my top 3 systems were old style CoC,D&D second edition but only for the planescape setting and stormbringer

I play slaine and am soon to start lone wolf,conan or runequest if we wait scared to use a time filler as thats what slaine was and they got hooked :shock:

I know which is why I want the runequest stuff 8) also if their is a gritty arthur setting or even beowulf will know I and my group will go for it 8)

Back