Rumour Control - Shipping of CTA: Star Fleet

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
First off, our most abject apologies to all of you who were expecting Star Fleet ships before Christmas and are still waiting.

This was due to a combination of things but boils down to a higher demand than expected and a failure in our system to scale up to meet it. We did have an idea that the ships would be popular and had made plans to be able to scale upwards to meet all orders.

It is frustrating for you (who, after all, just want to play a great game with cool minis) and chafing for us, as we did not meet our stated obligations. We mentioned in the State of the Mongoose that while many miniatures manufacturers are making the switch to resin, we did not all attend a 'resin seminar' and the issues we have seen with others visited us as well. We thought we had side-stepped them, but obviously not all...

On the plus side, we did manage to ship all rulebooks and squadron sets to UK, Europe and 'rest of the world' customers and we have been greatly encouraged to see very few issues with the actual models - so far just 3 mis-casts and 2 mis-packs which have already been replaced,and represent a tiny, tiny percentage. This, at least, bodes well for the rest of the range.

The main issues have been on the US side, where the point of manufacture is also the point of distribution, and we saw a break down on both sides for the reasons stated above.

However, we have not been idle, and have been spending the past two weeks revisiting our systems and processes, identifying where things are breaking down. We had already brought in more staff to scale production up but that was not sufficient. We have recently purchased more casting equipment (effectively pressure pots, the machines that, among other things, stop bubbles appearing in your models), doubling the amount available to the casters. This, with a slight change in the resin we are using (don't panic, it is the same resin, just has a slightly longer 'setting' time) will enable a caster to spend more time prepping while greater numbers of models are being pressured, tripling the number of pieces he can produce during the day. It all comes down to being able to fully utilise the equipment we have which was, beforehand, running at something like 32% efficiency.

In addition, we have also brought on a dedicated mould maker (something we should have done before) whose work will allow the casters to maintain their pace at full stretch. Everyone in the facility is aware that customers are waiting and are working with renewed effort to meet existing orders.

I need to sit down with both our production and marketing teams to agree more precise dates (this will be done next week and we'll keep you updated), but I can say the following will happen;

1. It is Mongoose's policy to send out products as soon as they are available, not when we can send a full order out - this way, you get your games and models sooner. So, all rulebooks still outstanding, whether they are part of larger orders or not, will go out next week.

2. All outstanding squadron sets will be sent out that week or the week after.

3. All Federation, Klingon, and Romulan fleet sets will be sent out before the end of January - and I say this to cover ourselves, as it is my intention to have them sent out a lot earlier in the month. As I said above, we'll get you more precise dates as soon as possible.

4. The fleet boxes will be made available to distributors to send to retailers in February, during which month we will effectively have a 're-launch' of the game, with the rulebooks backed up with more than sufficient stocks of squadron and fleet sets. The Kzinti will follow in March, the Gorn in April (though pre-orders for those will be sent at the same time we ship to distributors, if not before).

By this time, not only will our production be properly balanced, but we will have a comfortable amount of stock of all ships to handle, well, pretty much anything!

We want to thank all our customers who have shown considerable patience thus far, and want you to be aware we are working both hard and smart in order to get your models to you. We remain confident that, when you see them, you will see they have been worth the wait!

In the mean time, we have no right to ask anything of you but the 're-launch' of A Call to Arms: Star Fleet does provide an opportunity. If you play the game and show off the ships to your friends when you receive them, we would be grateful! A Call to Arms: Star Fleet and the '2500' miniatures line are both projects we are taking the extreme long view to (much as we did with Traveller), and we have lots of exciting things in the pipeworks, from official tournaments to the Journal and, of course, the first supplement. It is our aim that in 3-4 weeks time, these teething problems will be far behind us and we can then spend time exploring the universe of Star Fleet and all the mysteries it contains.

We hope you will be there to join us.

shame for those people who didn't receive their orders, but hopefully things are looking up, Best of luck for the new year Mr S (and other mongeese) and "please" try to get an official tourney that isn't in swindon ;-) as I thoroughly enjoyed my day at Mongoose (well the hotel) but it's just too darn far with the wee ones demanding Daddy!
many thanks for my ships, now just to wait for a couple of romulan "disks " to become available :)

Okay I am confused here bro you say.

"On the plus side, we did manage to ship all rulebooks and squadron sets to UK, Europe and 'rest of the world' customers and we have been greatly encouraged to see very few issues with the actual models - so far just 3 mis-casts and 2 mis-packs which have already been replaced,and represent a tiny, tiny percentage. This, at least, bodes well for the rest of the range."

You also say.

"So, all rulebooks still outstanding, whether they are part of larger orders or not, will go out next week."

So I would like to know have you shipped the rule books or not? I would also like to say there is no excuse for the rulebooks being this late you didn't have to cast them what's up with that? This game was supposed to be released in November of 2011 now it's almost January of 2012.

The other bone I have to pick with you guys is email why don't you respond to email not everyone comes to the forums bro! My rulebook was purchased for my b-day in October and the person that bought it for me has emailed you two times with no response to his mails. A different person ordered my squadron boxes (for xmas) and same goes there not one email back saying what's going on with the order.

I have to say that this is really a huge disappointment you always want to give smaller companies a chance but you feel pretty burned when stuff like this happens. You need to communicate better man.

MarkDawg said:
So I would like to know have you shipped the rule books or not? I would also like to say there is no excuse for the rulebooks being this late you didn't have to cast them what's up with that? This game was supposed to be released in November of 2011 now it's almost January of 2012.

All rulebooks to UK, Europe and 'rest of the world' have gone out. Some of the US orders were stalled as the distribution centre there is also the production centre - this is what we are fixing next week.

MarkDawg said:
The other bone I have to pick with you guys is email why don't you respond to email not everyone comes to the forums bro! My rulebook was purchased for my b-day in October and the person that bought it for me has emailed you two times with no response to his mails. A different person ordered my squadron boxes (for xmas) and same goes there not one email back saying what's going on with the order.

Which email did you send to? I ask, as an address was being handed around that would not have got any response. Any queries should be sent to sales@mongoosepublishing.com or, alternatively, you can always mail me directly at msprange@mongoosepublishing.com

Hope that helps!

where are you from then? if you are from the states, yours may not have been dispatched, as UK, Europe and ROW have been shipped, (handled i assume in the uk) and US books seemingly haven't. If you are a colonial, and I'll guess you "may" be given the use of Bro and Dawg, then it's been explained.
re the e-mails, thats pretty uncharacteristic for mongoose, They are usually top notch when it comes to dealing with e-mails, as I know from my B5 days. I have to say, no Idea if Alex is still around, but he used to be stateside, and a faster more polite company e-mailer i have never met :)

The Rulebook queries were sent to the sales email addy and I am from the Seattle area in WA state if that helps.

Matt,
I would like to thank Mongoose and ADB for their efforts in producing and delivering the game. I am very impressed with the Rulebook and Federation Squadron set which has been assembled and is waiting painting. (Next week)

Some minor blemishes and one blow hole – but nothing some “green stuff (sorry!!! :oops: )” did not fix. The actual quality was better than I expected.

I am planning my next order at the moment and will be sticking with Mongoose (Damn site easier than others I could mention). – One question - what is the status of the Command Cruiser offer?

msprange said:
Digger said:
Does this mean at the tourney we will be able to use ships if we don't have the mini's for them? :D

It is my solid aim to get you those ships in good time :)

Does they still need to be painted as it may be very tight to sort this out?

Ben2 said:
When is the Klingon/Orion squadron out, and is it possible to add it to my pre-order?

Realistically, late February/early March at best - a little too soon to say firmer than that.

msprange said:
Apep said:
One question - what is the status of the Command Cruiser offer?

We will keep it open (available) until the first fleet sets come out.

I arrived late to the scene and can't seem to find any info about the "Command Cruiser" offer. Can someone point me to what the offer is and how I get in on it?

msprange said:
Ben2 said:
When is the Klingon/Orion squadron out, and is it possible to add it to my pre-order?

Realistically, late February/early March at best - a little too soon to say firmer than that.

You guys probably already have it on your (undoubtedly huge) TO DO list, but you guys might want to consider adjusting your Release Schedule to help prevent misunderstandings. :)

If some of the box sets are not out until late February/early March, will some latitude be given with regards to having to have a miniature for each ship at the Tourney.

Would counters or substitute miniatures be acceptable as I am considering a Kzinti Fleet for the tournament,

Cheers

Second that request I have no 2400 ships and whilst it might be possible to have ships assembled for play they won't be painted in time if they don't arrive until mid to late January.

I have held off purchasing a ticket for the event until I know for sure.

Back