Rules for Fear and Madness

p_Clapham

Mongoose
I've begun tinkering around with some possible mechanics for fear and madness using the Legend system. Yes there is Call of Cthulhu with its tried and true sanity system, but I felt like trying to make something different. This is what I have so far.

When a character is first confronted by a scene of horror or monster, he must roll his Persistence skill vs the Horror Rating of the creature or situation. If the character succeeds their psyche is unaffected, and the situation proceeds normally. If they fail there are consequences. To determine how screwed your character is, use this matrix:

Character succeeds – Fear roll critical – Table One
Character fails – Fear roll succeeds – Table One
Character fails – Fear roll critical – Table Two
Character fumbles – Fear roll fails – Table One
Character fumbles – Fear roll succeeds – Table Two
Character fumbles – Fear roll critical – Table Three

Each table has a series of potential consequences. The higher the table, and D20 roll, the worse off you'll be. Table One might just make your character lose a Combat action or two from fright. Table two can make your character temporarily insane. Table three can cause permanent insanity, or die from fright.

I'm still working out the tables and the consequences. This is what I have so far for possible table results.

Dazed – the character cannot attack for 1D3 combat actions
Stunned – the character forfeits the next 1D3 combat actions
Frozen in fear – the character cannot move for the next 1D3 combat actions
Paralyzed – the character cannot move for the duration of the encounter
Fight or flight – The character has a 50/50 chance of either going berserk (as per the Fanaticism spell), or fleeing the encounter
Unconsciousness – The character loses consciousness for the duration of the encounter
Temporary mental illness
Permanent mental illness
Heart attack – the character suffers enough damage to the chest to cause a major wound. They must make a Resilience roll vs the Horror Rating or die.

I presume you've not seen the Fear and Madness rules already extant in Necromantic Arts p78 if you are writing your own version?

There are a couple of OGC implementations of Fear and Madness rules that might be worth looking at:

Chapter 2 of Clockwork and Chivalry from Cakebread & Walton contains a full system for Horror and Sanity that is slightly different from trhe classic system from Call of Cthulhu and takes account of things such as using Hero Points to delay the onset of madness...

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/103450/Clockwork--Cthulhu

OtherWorld Creations produced a book called Taint and Sanity back in 2007 for the Mongoose version of Runequest. This contains another treatment of the topics that is compatible with Legend. All of the rules in this book were released as Open Game Content:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/24509/RuneQuest-Taint-and-Sanity

The rules for Fear and Madness in Necromatic Arts are pretty much dead on to what I was trying to accomplish with my own rule set. All that they require is a little tweaking. Originally I wasn't going to include Sanity Points, but now I am considering it. What do folks think of starting Sanity Points equaling your Persistence/ Willpower? Then over the course of play if you increase that skill you also increase your Sanity by a like amount. Or is that a case of placing too much emphasis on the Persistence/ Willpower stat in horror games, to the point where players will do their best to max that skill out.

Back