RQII releases

It'll be nice to see many of the popular inhuman races together in one volume instead of spread out among who knows how many books.

Although I'm one of the slavering "It has RQ on it" guys who will buy these, and I am looking forward to real leather covers....I also worry that RQ will suffer a fate not unlike when Steve Jackson Games announced that GURPS 4E would be all hardcover, all color, 200+ page books with every release. A few years later and GURPS releases are a wasteland of PDFs and an occasional B&W reprint.

I'd rather have more price-conscious B&W books for a good game than production standards that are excessive...

...I am also hoping Matthew acquired a cow farm somewhere and thus the reason leather covers will be all over the place this year!

Nickbergquist said:
Although I'm one of the slavering "It has RQ on it" guys who will buy these, and I am looking forward to real leather covers....I also worry that RQ will suffer a fate not unlike when Steve Jackson Games announced that GURPS 4E would be all hardcover, all color, 200+ page books with every release. A few years later and GURPS releases are a wasteland of PDFs and an occasional B&W reprint.

I'd rather have more price-conscious B&W books for a good game than production standards that are excessive...

...I am also hoping Matthew acquired a cow farm somewhere and thus the reason leather covers will be all over the place this year!

How many corebooks are there likely to be? A Magic book quite probably, and maybe some advice for the GMs - but I'd say that the bulk of the line will be setting books - which don't have the leather covers. I'm not sure it's going to be an issue of sustainability for them if there only half a dozen or so books printed that way.

Moreover, I think the basic problem with GURPS is that their 4e books were substantially larger than what they were used to writing for 3e. This slowed down production somewhat, I guess, and they may just have come to the conclusion that the profit margin is more sustainable through downloadable PDF than producing hardcopy, once all their major genre titles had been released.

Mongoose's production model is a bit different, because all their published books get released as PDF anyway, and they have greater diversity in the lines they have (rather than just one centralised core system).

Nickbergquist said:
A few years later and GURPS releases are a wasteland of PDFs and an occasional B&W reprint.

This has more to do with SJG's success with boardgames. For a small company with limited resources it's only logical to concentrate on material that sells better.

Nickbergquist said:

It all boils down to environmental awareness. Paper can be recycled so that you do not subtract oxygen producing biomass from the biosphere. And what is the main cause for CO2 release into the atmosphere? Cows! So, killing cows to make RuneQuest books contributes to the fight against global warming.

To save the environment, buy RuneQuest books!

RosenMcStern said:
It all boils down to environmental awareness. Paper can be recycled so that you do not subtract oxygen producing biomass from the biosphere. And what is the main cause for CO2 release into the atmosphere? Cows! So, killing cows to make RuneQuest books contributes to the fight against global warming.

I like your thinking.

On other environmental issues, incidentally, check out the latest Planet Mongoose post. . .

RosenMcStern said:
Nickbergquist said:

Actually cows (and other ruminants) are one of the main sources of methame (CH4), not CO2, due to the methanogenic archaea that live in their alimentary tract and which is an even more potent greenhouse gas. But, methane production by cows (and other ruminants) is dwarfed by the amount produced by methanogens in the oceans, it's just that most ruminants are kept by humans, so they are something within our control. Kill more cows may be one option, but if that increases demand and leads to more deforestation in order to make pastures, it's probably counter productive. Awwww, it's so tricky. :oops: Better to just trust Sarah Palin an beleive global warming is a conspiracy :roll:

Cows produce carbon dioxide too, by virtue of respiration, whilst their waste is usually covered with biodegrading bacteria which also produce carbon dioxide. Methane gas itself is flammable - when it burns, it oxidises to produce carbon dioxide (and water).

It's also worth noting that the total amount of carbon dioxide soaked up by trees in the world, is significantly less than the amount soaked up by algae in the oceans.

I shall now take my biologist cap off, and resume bitching about games...

TrippyHippy said:
Cows produce carbon dioxide too, by virtue of respiration, whilst their waste is usually covered with biodegrading bacteria which also produce carbon dioxide. Methane gas itself is flammable - when it burns, it oxidises to produce carbon dioxide (and water).

Yeah, but that was not the sort of "production" I was referring to. And stainless is right, I mistakenly mentioned carbon dioxide, but the greenhouse gas produced by cows is in fact methane. Let us not delve into the details, though, as someone might find them ... disturbing.

I have Blood of Orlanth and held off on getting the RQ I books because the RQ II books were due soon. Looking over the Blood of Orlanth, there are some specific magics from the GL and EWF folks that I would like to know before trying to run it.

Will the Glorantha 2nd Age book have this information. For example: Maintain HeroQuest, Open HeroQuest Gate, etc. or RQ II equivalents?

My player team is looking forward to playing through Dara Happa Stirs and Blood of Orlanth.

HalB said:
I have Blood of Orlanth and held off on getting the RQ I books because the RQ II books were due soon. Looking over the Blood of Orlanth, there are some specific magics from the GL and EWF folks that I would like to know before trying to run it.

Will the Glorantha 2nd Age book have this information. For example: Maintain HeroQuest, Open HeroQuest Gate, etc. or RQ II equivalents?

My player team is looking forward to playing through Dara Happa Stirs and Blood of Orlanth.

You'll have to wait for the Cults of Glorantha book for these spells, I'm afraid. Draconic mysticism, however, is covered in Glorantha: The Second Age.

HalB said:

I'm 2/3rds of the way through running Blood and have started converting. EWF mysticism and GL sorcery actually looks to be pretty easy. Mysticism looks like you can just run it as written, no obvious need to change anything. For sorcery all you need to do, generally, is change how the spell scales with magnitude. Basically if a spell does X amount of something per point of Magnitude then it now does the same X amount of something per 10% of the sorcery (grimoire) skill.

There are other issues but the basics are simple enough I reckon.

Thanks, Loz, for the info.

Deleriad: Glad to hear that conversion is easy. I have old RQ3 but did NOT get MRQ I before it went out of print. I don't have any MRQ I stuff to read/use/convert. So the spell and mystical abilities *look* cool, but I don't have crunch to use them...yet.

for those interested in Deus Vult:
http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=61851

RuneQuest II RPG - Deus Vult: Ex Cathedra

by Mongoose Publishing

PreOrder (Estimate May Release)
Retail: $24.99
A cathedral is a prayer in stone, a vaulted hymn of masonry and devoted labour. The great cathedrals are symbols of the great faith of the people and the power of the Church.

Soon, they will burn. Madness and misrule are loose upon the world, and only the assassin-monks of the secret Order can set things right again. From the Champagne Fair at Troyes to the uttermost depths of the Earth, the hunt is on - but who is the hunted, and who is the hunter, in a time when all law and even sanity itself is overturned.

Ex Cathedra is a series of three linked adventures for Deus Vult.

Just a quick note, as I now have the physical thing in hand, and RQ2 is very, very nice looking. If a few cows died to make this possible, then so be it. Moreover, I am now content to know that the Monster Coliseum and Arms & Equipment books will look much the same; I'd actuallycall the MC book essential, since the RQ2 core book only has 20 critters within...but the equipment in the core book is more than sufficient for any conventional campaign, so I am not entirely sure what will be in A&E that would be considered "core," though my sense of uniformity will still be satisfied by these gorgeous real leather covers.

On GURPS re: my earlier comments--I still feel that SJGames ultimately gave up on the line and how best to market it after 4E failed to take off in a manner expected (and Munchkin did). There was a time when GURPS clearly was a big money maker for them; I still think it could be, but not the way they are doing it, where it is currently only being sold/marketed to the four or five hundred regulars who peruse e23. I mean, I'll be able to get my cohorts in gaming to play RQ2 this year because they will be able to go to our FLGS and physically buy it, owning their copies; they can not do the same so easily for GURPS anymore, which looks to the average non-forum-lurking gamer like a dead system.

Ah well, it doesn't matter anymore....I have Traveller for SF and RQ2 for fantasy now; I'm basically set...!

Nickbergquist said:
they can not do the same so easily for GURPS anymore, which looks to the average non-forum-lurking gamer like a dead system.
That's strange. I know my FLGS (Dragon's Lair SA!) has a bunch of GURPS books on the shelves. I don't play it anymore, though.

Zedkylan said:
Nickbergquist said:
they can not do the same so easily for GURPS anymore, which looks to the average non-forum-lurking gamer like a dead system.
That's strange. I know my FLGS (Dragon's Lair SA!) has a bunch of GURPS books on the shelves. I don't play it anymore, though.

Same at mine. Problem is, they seem to stay there, lol!

Nostrildamus said:
Zedkylan said:
Nickbergquist said:

Same at mine. Problem is, they seem to stay there, lol!
Gotta admit, I didn't think it through that far!

Back