RQII releases

Tal

Mongoose
Here are some preorders I found at FRP:
RuneQuest II RPG - Glorantha: Pavis Rises (Adventure) by Mongoose Publishing

[February PreOrder]
Retail: $39.99

An epic campaign set in the heart of Second Age Glorantha, Pavis Rises is designed not only to provide players with months of gaming, but also to serve as an introduction into the world of Glorantha. Simply play through this campaign, and you can consider yourself something of an expert on the peoples, cultures and histories of Glorantha!

Fully integrated into the latest set of RuneQuest II rules, Pavis Rises promises exciting adventure and dramatic action at every step!

Size: 256 pages, Hardback
Interior Art: Black & White
Author: Bryan Steele
http://frpgames.irook.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=59171

RuneQuest II RPG: Monster Coliseum

by Mongoose Publishing

[February PreOrder]
Retail: $34.99

Foes, beasts and creatures from every corner of the world can be found in this tome, as well as detailed rules on how they clash in the centre of the Monster Coliseum! Whether you are looking to populate your world with rare and exotic fiends to foil your players, or simply provide them with some gladiatorial entertainment, this book contains just what you need for the new RuneQuest II rules.

Monster Coliseum, like the rest of the core RuneQuest line, is a luxurious book, with a completely leather-bound cover.

Size: 160 pages, Leather Bound Hardback
Author: Lawrence Whitaker
http://frpgames.irook.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=59168

RuneQuest II RPG: Arms & Equipment

by Mongoose Publishing

[February PreOrder]
Retail: $34.99

An adventurer is only as good as his equipment, so the saying goes – and with this mighty tome, your adventurer will be the best-equipped he can be. From new weapons and armour, to the more mundane items that keep an adventurer going, Arms & Equipment is a complete catalogue that will keep players coming back for more after every adventure.

Arms & Equipment, like the rest of the core RuneQuest line, is a luxurious book, with a completely leather-bound cover.

Size: 160 pages, Leather Bound Hardback
Author: Lawrence Whitaker
http://frpgames.irook.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=59165

Tal said:
Here are some preorders I found at FRP:
RuneQuest II RPG - Glorantha: Pavis Rises (Adventure)
Retail: $39.99 Size: 256 pages, Hardback

RuneQuest II RPG: Monster Coliseum
Retail: $34.99 Size: 160 pages, Leather Bound Hardback

RuneQuest II RPG: Arms & Equipment
Retail: $34.99 Size: 160 pages, Leather Bound Hardback

I had hoped that Mongoose had learned their lesson about slim. expensively bound rulebooks last time. At 160 pages these are considerably better than the ultra-slim hardbacks of the first edition, but even so. I thought the decison to release the main rule book as a leather bound hardback was stupid, but had hoped it was a special "limited edition" first printing (like the recent Paranoia rules that included the CD-ROM) that would be followed by a more sensible "standard" edition, but the news that these hardly essential supplements like the rest of the core RuneQuest line, is a luxurious book, with a completely leather-bound cover suggests the new edition is being aimed entirely at the "Will by anything with RQ on the cover" fan rather than trying to encourage new gamers to give it a try...

Personally, under 200 pages I'd not consider a "leather-bound" (my father's main pastime is craft book-binding, so knowing a fair bit about books, and I shudder at the expected "leatheriness...") even worth while.

Books of new content (or greatly corrected—like 'Cults') books I'll probably purchase, but not re-hashes.

Lord High Munchkin said:
Ah, but what about 'Cults I & II'?

Those are the books that are crying out for a new edition.

Hopefully they will be a "Gloranthan Supplement" and not a "Core rulebook"...

They've been crying out for a new edition since they were first published - hopefully the new edition will be editied by someone who has some knowledge of Glorantha - or failing that, someone who will refer changes back to the author(s) rather than making their own assumptions. A much clearer Layout would also be nice.

And if thr changes require re-working of the "Magic of Glorantha" book, that might also be incorporated into the "Cults" book(s)

duncan_disorderly said:
I had hoped that Mongoose had learned their lesson about slim. expensively bound rulebooks last time. At 160 pages these are considerably better than the ultra-slim hardbacks of the first edition, but even so. I thought the decison to release the main rule book as a leather bound hardback was stupid, but had hoped it was a special "limited edition" first printing (like the recent Paranoia rules that included the CD-ROM) that would be followed by a more sensible "standard" edition, but the news that these hardly essential supplements like the rest of the core RuneQuest line, is a luxurious book, with a completely leather-bound cover suggests the new edition is being aimed entirely at the "Will by anything with RQ on the cover" fan rather than trying to encourage new gamers to give it a try...

I don't usually have much time to post things online these days, but I respectively disagree.

I think the major beef I had with Mongoose RuneQuest when it came out was threefold:

1) I thought some of the rules, regarding combat especially, were overly complex and somewhat confused.

2) They seemed to withhold a fair chunk of core material for the Companion book, which was a practically unnecessary division.

3) The quality of the printing along the line as a whole was appalling.

I do feel that the latter two issues look like they have been addressed in RuneQuest 2. The leather-style I like - it should resist wear and tear well, and look consistently uniform and attractive on the bookshelf. The core rules seem to be complete, with the monster and equipment books as add-ons, which is fine by me. I find the tendency towards massive 350pp+ books quite a turn-off - too much fatness and it becomes a chore to read. Like the Traveller core rules, about 200 pages (or thereabouts) is about right. Looking at the pictures, I also wonder aloud if the books are pocket sized dimensions (the books look tall rather than wide - like the Baron Munchhausen book).

If they actually make some changes, or at least simplifications/clarifications in the combat rules, it may well be a long distance purchase for me. Do they do orders to New Zealand?

I like the leather look and the Pavis cover is stunning even if it does look something that John Howe might have drawn for Tolkien. I'm not sure about the price of the supplements; to be honest that looks like the kind of stuff I would normally get in PDF. I got the original Arms & Equipment for MRQ and Monster Coliseum for RQ3 and didn't rate either of them.

I did notice that the author for several of the books including the core book is Lawrence Whitaker - aka Loz from here. That's a good thing because I know he's been on various panels with HeroQuest and Glorantha authors working on making sure that Glorantha is well modelled in both systems.

I'll definitely be getting the new RQ though my current campaign is so heavily house-ruled that I suspect I'll probably end up stealing the good ideas from it rather than converting completely.

Pavis rising could be very exciting but I haven't really enjoyed the author's previous Glorantha supplements so I'll have to wait and see with that one.

It's good to see the relaunching despite minor cavails. Would love to see them branch out into new and innovative licenses for the game system though.

I'd want a full review of the changes/inclusions/exclusions before going near MRQII.

That said, Pavis Rises looks the part!

One last comment - Any further news re Castle of Lead? :roll:

TrippyHippy said:
The leather-style I like - it should resist wear and tear well, and look consistently uniform and attractive on the bookshelf.

Ah, the voice of hope over experience! Given the number of issues with printing and binding Mongoose have experienced in the past, I'd sooner not make assumptions like this without actually seeing the finished product.

Even so, I'd sooner have books that looked attractive and easy to use in terms of layout than ones that looked attractive on the shelf - I plan to read them, not just look at the covers, and I'd sooner not pay for, store and carry around the extra expense and bulk of leather covers

TrippyHippy said:
The core rules seem to be complete, with the monster and equipment books as add-ons, which is fine by me.

Since the books are described as "Core Books" it suggests to me that the rulebook is not complete - These books will contain material that any future book will assume you have access to. Nor, since we have had no official statement, do we know what will be in, or not be in the main rulebook, or how many other "core" rulebooks are scheduled for the resat of the year...

TrippyHippy said:
I find the tendency towards massive 350pp+ books quite a turn-off - too much fatness and it becomes a chore to read. Like the Traveller core rules, about 200 pages (or thereabouts) is about right.

I'd sooner have one 350+ page book than 4 x 96 page ones, as we did with the first edition of MRQ - especially if we are paying a premium for expensive covers each time - if thats what is required to provide a complete set of rules. If i'm going to end up reading and needing 350 pages, then it's a whole lot more convenient to have them in one place. (and covered by a single index - although if it is of the quality of the recent RQ books that won't make any difference as the indes will be useless anyway). Decent layout will help to make reading less of a chore

duncan_disorderly said:
I'd sooner have one 350+ page book than 4 x 96 page ones

I agree with this. I've bought all the MRQ books, both individually and in the Deluxe Pocket Edition. The book I find most useful is the pocket deluxe rulebook precisely because it has most things in one place. Yeh it's got low production values but the point I'm making is that it's good to have all the stuff you need in one book.

What about 4e? There are three core rulebooks each stretching to well over 300 pages and in hardback. I like the books better than Mongoose's for quality and production but there's still a weight of books to tote around.

Anyway, none of these discussions really matter. Mongoose will by now have set their publication and production schedule and won't be able - even if willing - to change things now. However, it's a racing certainty that the core books will be joined by other expansion titles in pretty short order (prob. also in luxurious leatherette) and then about 12 months down the line they'll become available in softback and maybe even pocket edition.

Arms and Equipment? Sounds familiar. Hopefully it isn't just a leather bound reprint.

Monster Coliseum? Hmm, the RQ3 one wasn't bad but was a bit iffy in places. We'll have to see if it's any good. It's by Mr Whitaker so that bodes well, but it has monsters from around the world fighting in a coliseum, which doesn't bode well at all.

Still, the Pavis one looks good. I wonder how much collaboration has been done with those nice Moon Design people and how much Second Age Pavis and Third Age Pavis have in common. That would be the most interesting bit, for me. I'll have to get both of these just to see how much I can wring out of them for my current RQ campaign.

I'm not keen on a leather bound book as it sounds expensive and I like my glossy softback supplements.

Still, it's good news that more RQ stuff is appearing, at last. I'll just have to wait and see what they look like in the flesh to see if they are worth buying.

Still, the Pavis one looks good. I wonder how much collaboration has been done with those nice Moon Design people and how much Second Age Pavis and Third Age Pavis have in common. That would be the most interesting bit, for me. I'll have to get both of these just to see how much I can wring out of them for my current RQ campaign.

Alot. It has made writing this campaign slower than what I would have liked to, but I have REALLY good research materials and link-up potential with the 3rd age info from Moon Design.

I want this book to be a springboard, not an anchor. :)

-Bry

Mongoose Steele said:
Alot. It has made writing this campaign slower than what I would have liked to, but I have REALLY good research materials and link-up potential with the 3rd age info from Moon Design.

Good.

I am happy now.

Mongoose Steele said:

That sounds good but I haven't a clue what it means.

soltakss said:
I'll just have to wait and see what they look like in the flesh to see if they are worth buying.

My problem is that I'll get them from the excellent Leisure Games in north London near where I live but they'll come shrink-wrapped so looking at them prior to purchase will be limited to front and back covers only. The chaps in the shop would remove the wrap but if I don't want to buy they might then have a bit more difficulty shifting the book to another punter who might (reasonably) want it shrink-wrapped.

Could I rely on the feedback and reviews on this forum? :wink:

duncan_disorderly said:
TrippyHippy said:
The core rules seem to be complete, with the monster and equipment books as add-ons, which is fine by me.

Since the books are described as "Core Books" it suggests to me that the rulebook is not complete - These books will contain material that any future book will assume you have access to. Nor, since we have had no official statement, do we know what will be in, or not be in the main rulebook, or how many other "core" rulebooks are scheduled for the resat of the year...

From the looks of the page count, I would suggest that the core rules book will be complete, in the same way that Deluxe is complete - except the monster lists will be taken out for the bestiary. That is pretty usual for most core rules books. You can invest in a bestiary and equipment books as extra - but they won't be essential.

I'd sooner have one 350+ page book than 4 x 96 page ones, as we did with the first edition of MRQ - especially if we are paying a premium for expensive covers each time - if thats what is required to provide a complete set of rules. If i'm going to end up reading and needing 350 pages, then it's a whole lot more convenient to have them in one place. (and covered by a single index - although if it is of the quality of the recent RQ books that won't make any difference as the indes will be useless anyway). Decent layout will help to make reading less of a chore

My view is that rpg books have been getting steadily fatter and fatter, over time, and have gotten to the point of ridiculous nature - 500+ pages in some cases. If you went back 20-30 years ago (or indeed, when RuneQuest was originally released) the books were thinner, the rules less convoluted and the games generally more accessible for my tastes. When I buy into RuneQuest (or Traveller) it's these aspects that appeal to me. If I wanted to buy a big, fat convoluted textbook of a game I'd buy FantasyCraft, Pathfinder or whatever. RuneQuest fulfills a different market niche, but one that is necessary in my view - to keep people like me interested.

Honestly, having a concise 200 page hardback, at pocket size or not, suits me to a tee.

Inspector Zero said:
soltakss said:
I'll just have to wait and see what they look like in the flesh to see if they are worth buying.

My problem is that I'll get them from the excellent Leisure Games in north London near where I live but they'll come shrink-wrapped so looking at them prior to purchase will be limited to front and back covers only. The chaps in the shop would remove the wrap but if I don't want to buy they might then have a bit more difficulty shifting the book to another punter who might (reasonably) want it shrink-wrapped.

Could I rely on the feedback and reviews on this forum? :wink:

I wouldnt worry about that, they have a shrink wrap machine out back!

Youre allowed to get a look at what youre buying, its the law or somthin'.

Mongoose Steele said:
I wonder how much collaboration has been done with those nice Moon Design people and how much Second Age Pavis and Third Age Pavis have in common.

However, something tells me that Second Age Pavis will have more Minotaurs than Third Age :)

I think he means that he wants people to build on what he wrote, rather than being limited by it. A sound and agreeable design principle.

Tal said:
RuneQuest II RPG - Glorantha: Pavis Rises (Adventure) by Mongoose Publishing

Great news! However, I do worry that some may confuse this with the upcoming 3rd age Pavis supplement from Moon Design for HeroQuest.

Mark Mohrfield

Back