RQII releases

Tal said:
Glorantha is a world permeated by magic and shaped by myth. Its heroes achieve power by questing for runes, physical manifestations of the eternal abstract forces that shape its destiny. Eventually they graduate to even more powerful magic, learning to gain power by emulating the deeds of the gods, mastering the arcane formulae of the sorcerous arts, allying with spirits, or achieving meditative awareness of life’s unknowable secrets. In doing so, they draw on one or more of the mythic Otherworlds surrounding their everyday material world. With the right magic, they can travel to the realms of the gods, become participants in their ancestral myths, and return with wondrous new abilities. Those who fail these daunting tests may be diminished, destroyed, or eternally lost in the mythic realms.

Size: 256 pages, Hardback
Interior Art: Black and White
Author: Lawrence Whitaker

http://frpgames.irook.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=60192

Mmm that looks tasty. At 256 pages I'm guessing its a combination of Players Guide and Cults of Glorantha I & II. If so, that's a good thing. Looks like they have rules for theism, sorcery, animism and mysticism. It would be nice if RQII and the Glorantha book gives you every thing you need to play in Glorantha.

I am surprised about the physical runes comment as I had got it into my head that physical runes aren't considered Gloranthan any more. Somewhat happy - depending on execution - if they are. I can see my wallet taking a hit over this....

Mmm that looks tasty. At 256 pages I'm guessing its a combination of Players Guide and Cults of Glorantha I & II. If so, that's a good thing. Looks like they have rules for theism, sorcery, animism and mysticism. It would be nice if RQII and the Glorantha book gives you every thing you need to play in Glorantha.

Its a combination of the original 'Second Age' and 'Players Guide' - although both have undergone heavy revision. The book includes a fully revised, very detailed, very comprehensive character creation chapter to supplement the existing material. Errors from the first edition have also been corrected.

And that's all I'll say on the matter!

A lot of the stuff that Bryan wrote for Player's Guide version 1 was very innovative: special professions, Folk Magic, etc. The problem was that the materials were organized on a "Per section" base and not on a "Per culture" one. So you must hop back and forth through pages in order to create your character. Even a simple reshuffle of the chapters will improve the usability of the tome. And I expect Loz will do more than reshuffling.

RosenMcStern said:
A lot of the stuff that Bryan wrote for Player's Guide version 1 was very innovative: special professions, Folk Magic, etc. The problem was that the materials were organized on a "Per section" base and not on a "Per culture" one. So you must hop back and forth through pages in order to create your character. Even a simple reshuffle of the chapters will improve the usability of the tome. And I expect Loz will do more than reshuffling.

Yep, everything's gathered together in the same place, and vastly expanded.

Loz said:
Its a combination of the original 'Second Age' and 'Players Guide' - although both have undergone heavy revision. The book includes a fully revised, very detailed, very comprehensive character creation chapter to supplement the existing material. Errors from the first edition have also been corrected.

And that's all I'll say on the matter!

256 Pages each for this and Pavis Rises? Sold!

duncan_disorderly said:
Vivamort said:
I'm just hoping that we can go straight to a "Deluxe Edition".

It's bound in leather, how much more deluxe do you want it?

I'm hoping we can go straight to a sensible version - Single volume Core rules,. preferably softback. Rules that work first time, and don't require a Players update by Easter. Layout that works with, rather than against the content. An Index that (a) takes up more than half a page and (b) is both functional and useful

That's what I'm talking about. Although leather is a nice touch, they can bind it in Crimson Bat hide for all I care, I just am not looking forward to having to wait for a companion and spell book in addition to the core book. I"m all for Mongoose making money but if I'm going to convert to a new edition I would like to be able to do it with as few books as possible even if I have to pay more for them.

Just wondering how will the "new" magic system work with for exampel Spellbook?
Will there difficulties with using the "old" equipment guide?

Lakritsploppen said:
Just wondering how will the "new" magic system work with for exampel Spellbook?
Will there difficulties with using the "old" equipment guide?

Magic is completely overhauled and most of the spells found in RQII (some of which are from the Spellbook) have been rebalanced considerably.

However, you can still use both the Spellbook and the old Arms and Equipment. For Rune Magic, just ignore the need for runes and make any of the old Magnitude 0 spells Magnitude 1.

Arms and Equipment is being 'upgraded' to reflect the new rules, but it doesn't take too much individiual work to re-stat weapons.

AxeMurder said:
What about the divine magic 0 magnitude spells? They changing to mag 1 as well?

Divine Magic magnitude is handled much differently in RQII. 0 Magnitude as its been figured before is redundant.

Loz said:
Arms and Equipment is being 'upgraded' to reflect the new rules, but it doesn't take too much individiual work to re-stat weapons.

Should we use reach for weapons, I suppose. Same stats that Game Master's Handbook?

gran_orco said:
Loz said:

Should we use reach for weapons, I suppose. Same stats that Game Master's Handbook?

No. There's now a lot more to weapons than just their reach.

Here's some more pre releases:

RuneQuest II RPG - Glorantha: Races of Glorantha
by Mongoose Publishing

[April PreOrder]
Retail: $39.99

Together in one volume, the essential deep-dive into Glorantha's fascinating and exotic Elder Races: Uz, Aldryami, Dragonewts, Mostali and Ducks. In these pages you will learn all you need to know for roleplaying these species in your RuneQuest II Gloranthan campaigns. Each race is detailed in terms of history, culture, religion, philosophies and biology, with all the necessary game mechanics, roleplaying notes and statistics. Myths for these races explore their heritage and attitudes - essential to understanding their non-human natures.

Size: 256 pages, Hardback
Interior Art: Black & White
Author: Lawrence Whitaker

RuneQuest II RPG: Necromancy

by Mongoose Publishing

[April PreOrder]
Retail: $29.99

Life and death are two sides of the same coin, and controlling one gives great power over the other. There are many uses for necromancy, some more potent and dangerous than others. On one level, using corpses as animated labourers is little different from using golems or elementals. Many healing spells are partially necromantic in nature, working with dying instead of dead flesh. Other benign uses of necromantic arts including calling up or otherwise contacting the dead as part of religious ceremonies, or even as part of respectful scholarly inquiry. Some cultures or races may accept such forms of necromancy, as long as the dead are honoured and respected, even if they object to sorcerers marching corpses around.

Necromantic Arts is a toolkit for making despicable and terrifying enemies for the players in your RuneQuest games. Material in this book can be applied to any setting using the RuneQuest rules, from Glorantha to Lankhmar to Elric or to your own homebrewed games.

Size: 128 pages, Hardback
Author: Gareth Hanrahan

RuneQuest II RPG - Deus Vult: Deus Vult Campaign Setting

by Mongoose Publishing

[April PreOrder]
Retail: $34.99

In 1095, Pope Urban II called on the kings and knights of Europe to liberate the Holy Land in a great crusade. As one they lifted their voices to Heaven, crying deus vult - God wills it! This cry was taken up by thousands of knights and peasants, martyrs and madmen, as a great tide of righteous fury flooded across the world.

This cry was heard in the shadows, too. Since the days of the apostles, a secret order of warrior monks guarded the church and protected Christendom from all enemies, both natural and supernatural. Trained from birth and equipped with lost secrets of ancient civilisations, this secret order also hears the call to crusade. Deus vult - God will it, and they are the instruments of His divine Will.

It is the closing years of the twelfth century. Saladin has reconquered the Kingdom of Jerusalem, and the holy city is once more in the hands of the Saracen. Heresies and sorcery rot Europe from within, while the nobles quarrel and bicker. Even the church is falling prey to this corruption. The world must be saved, through any means necessary. No enemy, no sorcery, no doubt and no fear will prevent the monks of the Order from carrying out the Will of God. Deus Vult!

Size: 168 pages, Hardback
Author: Gareth Hanrahan

Here's a link to all three: http://frpgames.irook.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=2669 . I like the cover for Deus Vult. Won't get me to buy it but I like the cover.

Necromancy was already scheduled one or two years ago but was never released.

It also seems we're back with hard cover even with "small" books.

Yes it looks like we are finaly going to get Necromancy. It also looks like it might have a leather cover.

Back